What I am asking is can I just get a Blackberry Curve 8320 from Ebay, used, and put my SIM card in it before my contract expires, then ask my dad to call AT&T and cancel the data, I do not really care that I cannot use all of the functions on the Blackberry I just think they are cool, and I am 13 so do not judge me!

This is what one dude said: You can get the phone whenever you want. You won't get a full discount on the phone if your contract isn't up. If you don't want to sign (or resign) a contract, then you will be required to buy the phone for full price.

If you buy the phone from another place (such as Ebay), then all you have to do is take it to AT&T and have them activate it on your account (you do not have to have a contract to have an account).

You can use any phone without a data plan. You can change any phone on your account whether you have a contract or not. The only thing the contract states is that you will stay with the provider for a set amount of time, or pay a fee to cancel before the time is up. Once your contract is up, you do not have to sign another contract. Most people do to get the phone at a discounted price.

I have gone for years without a contract. I recently got a new phone, and signed another contract. When it is up, I will not have another contract until another phone comes along that is a must have for me. I will then sign another contract to get the phone at a discounted price.
    09-15-09 08:27 PM
    I am not familiar with your carrier or their requirements for a data plan, but in general if you have a phone that is unlocked you can use it on any GSM network. If you don't want a data plan then don't get one.

Having said that, some networks require a data plan these days.
    09-15-09 08:29 PM
    why would you have your dad call anywAY, do you have a data plan now? stick your sim in and have a good day. however, on a side note, if you do decide to go on the net, blackberry messenger, etc etc. your dad will kill you per kb charge.
    Verizon does not let you do this at all, all Blackberrys have to have a data plan! And me thinks recently ATT implemented the same thing!
    09-15-09 08:32 PM
    look for a used at&t phone or an unlocked gsm phone to work on at&t. Also check with at&t about the data plan if it is required but I think you could use your phone without a plan just no data or email.
    09-15-09 08:47 PM
    I believe, as mentioned above, AT&T changed their policy so that you must have a data plan now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-09 08:57 PM
    I really don't like the whole "you have to get a data plan" thing. To me, that's illegal. Maybe it isn't but that's how I think. You have a choice to buy what you want and in the end it's just a phone, so why require a data plan?

It really upsets me is all.
    09-15-09 09:01 PM
    I believe, as mentioned above, AT&T changed their policy so that you must have a data plan now.

but how would they know if you did not setup email or data? Or more to the point if you put a sim card in a bb how would they know?
    09-15-09 09:02 PM
    I dunno...

Good question!

09-15-09 09:08 PM
    But then again, they will probably know when service books are sent to your device.

09-15-09 09:09 PM
    Part of the IMEI identifies the phone, so I think they can know if it is a RIM device or not.
    09-15-09 09:10 PM
    no books because no email or browser service just phone and text.

doesn't the 8320 have wifi? I really don't think they will know unless you bought it through them...
    09-15-09 09:13 PM
    They always know they are the smart ones, they got us by the you know what's....try it and see if you get a huge bill your father will throw it out the window...or yell at you and make you go back to your old phone, which will depress you these tings are great, I say bite the bullet get the data plan and don't look back you won't regret it!!

09-16-09 08:52 PM
    I got my blackberry curve off of eBay before my contract was up and all I did was plug in my sim card and I was set to go. I didn't call AT&T at all during the whole process and never had to resign my contract or add a data plan.
    09-16-09 08:56 PM
    I got my blackberry curve off of eBay before my contract was up and all I did was plug in my sim card and I was set to go. I didn't call AT&T at all during the whole process and never had to resign my contract or add a data plan.
    So, did you get it after AT&T gave out the smartphone statement, that all require a data plan?
    09-16-09 10:09 PM
    To be honest, I don't think I would bother with any kind of smartphone without having data. I don't know how blackberrys act when you dont have data, but my friend has some kind of at&t non-blackberry smartphone and no data. He gets error messages constantly because the phone wants him to connect and he doesnt. Half the functions are lost and most of the time he's yelling at his phone because it keeps popping up to tell him he doesnt have data whether or not hes trying to use it.

It just seems pointless to me. If you don't want data then get a regular phone.
    09-17-09 08:08 AM
    It'd be easier to circumvent on AT&T, though. Simply put your SIM in a dumbphone, call them and tell them what phone you're using and cancel your data plan, then put your SIM back in your smartphone.

Would this actually work?
    09-17-09 06:02 PM
    My question is...You're 13, what could you possibly need a blackberry for? Buy an unlocked sidekick.
    09-24-09 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD