I took a trip the other day and my blackerry worked fine for about two days. On the third day instead of the edge network I got SOS. I could not get phone service or internet. This was a large city but no service. The phone worked fine again when I got home. How do I fix it so next time I go out of town I don't get SOS?
    06-28-08 02:30 AM
    Three things can cause this problem.

1). poor signal
    2). no roaming arrangement signed with your carrier.
    3). you have Roaming but when you leave Centennial's area your phone is not picking up another GSM operator's signal.

Poor Signal simply means that your phone was not able to find sufficient signal for either phone or data transmission. A good signal will show 2 or more bars on the signal strength indicator in the top right of the screen. Also you will see GPRS or EDGE in UpperCASE letters when the phone has found AND logged into the data network.

No Roaming means that whenever you leave the area where your carrier has direct GSM radio coverage. Roaming means that you have an agreement with Centennial that when you leave such an area your calls will be handled by other carriers.

Phone not finding other GSM carrier's signal. Go to Options, Mobile Network and set Network Selection Mode to Automatic. Note that extra call charges apply when you are roaming.
    06-28-08 03:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD