Hi everybody,

I bought a blackberry on ebay on Wednesday
    The item was described as brand new in box
    I bid and won...I received it an hour ago
    I have the following concerns/problems:

The phone was advertised as black...but has a gray battery cover
    Further digging shows that the seller made a purchase of a gray battery cover prior to the auction...
    Although the blackberry was is in excellent condition...It is not new:
    the pin and IMEI on the box don't match what is on the phone,
    And when I try to register the pin/IMEI on the phone...it says it the blackberry has been registered to a different provider!

That and the fact that the phone was advertised as locked to orange.
    When I try the pin/IMEI on the phone box I get no problems.
    What is the best course of action here?
    I could have looked past the fact that the phone wasn't exactly brand new
    But the whole pin/IMEI business is a bit iffy?

I am not exactly sure how to contact Orange? To check if the IMEI/PIN issues?
    Please advise A.S.A.P
    Thanks!
    02-20-09 06:15 AM
    Hi

The message ' this handset has been registered with another provider' is common to sim free blackberries or say a blackberry that has been unlocked from another network. The solution should be to set up from the HANDSET or set up whenyour BIS tariff is Active.

You can also try going to the Orange set up webpage from the handset.

Do you have an email settings icon on the device? (NOT the set up wizard) what is your signal strength in the top right hand corner? Gprs\ edge or GPRS \ EDGE.
    If this phone was say on o2 and has been unlocked then its best to phone o2 to check if its been reported lost or stolen.

Do not leave any feedback on ebay until you are satisfied and if required open a dispute and make a pay pal claim.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 06:22 AM
    Hi

The message ' this handset has been registered with another provider' is common to sim free blackberries or say a blackberry that has been unlocked from another network. The solution should be to set up from the HANDSET or set up whenyour BIS tariff is Active.

You can also try going to the Orange set up webpage from the handset.

Do you have an email settings icon on the device? (NOT the set up wizard) what is your signal strength in the top right hand corner? Gprs\ edge or GPRS \ EDGE.
    If this phone was say on o2 and has been unlocked then its best to phone o2 to check if its been reported lost or stolen.

Do not leave any feedback on ebay until you are satisfied and if required open a dispute and make a pay pal claim.

Hi,

I guess it's all early days, I haven't actually put an Orange sim inside the phone yet....or set up the BIS. I plan to go to Orange once I get off work....

I just had a gut feeling that something wasn't right...especially with the box and phone info not matching...

I certainly do not intend on leaving feedback yet, I was just wondering if there was anything I could ask the seller at this point? He did put in the listing that the phone was "locked to orange" and the phone has the Orange logo as well...I'm just trying to do some preliminary checks before I go to Orange...maybe I'm just being paranoid here.

Thanks for responding, any other tips would be deeply appreciated.
    02-20-09 06:38 AM
    Ok. As the phone is locked to Orange and Orange branded then they can certainly check if the phone has been reported lost or stolen or not as the pin/imnei numbers will be on their system.

Once you have your Orange sim and an active data plan I suspect all will be fine, providig the phone has not been reported lost or stolen of course.

Another thing worth doing is to ask the seller if the box is original, also as you feel the device is not new ask him if he has set up email on it previously and if so did he have the PIN released from his account before he sold it . If his PIN is still registered for an email account you won't be able to set up yours so its a question well worth asking.

Good luck + keep us posted

02-20-09 06:44 AM
    [QUOTE=AspiringCrackberryHead;1734472]Hi everybody,

I bought a blackberry on ebay on Wednesday
    The item was described as brand new in box[/quote[
    I would take that to mean the numbers should match

I bid and won...I received it an hour ago
    I have the following concerns/problems:

The phone was advertised as black...but has a gray battery cover
    Further digging shows that the seller made a purchase of a gray battery cover prior to the auction...
    If the BB was new and supposed to be black why is there a gray cover on it. this sounds like a SCAM

Although the blackberry was is in excellent condition...It is not new:
    If it is not new make sure you take pictures of it and have that available if you try to get your money back
    the pin and IMEI on the box don't match what is on the phone,
    And when I try to register the pin/IMEI on the phone...it says it the blackberry has been registered to a different provider!
    Although this may not be a problem you were supposed to get a new phone not a used one.
    That and the fact that the phone was advertised as locked to orange.
    When I try the pin/IMEI on the phone box I get no problems.
    What is the best course of action here?
    I could have looked past the fact that the phone wasn't exactly brand new
    But the whole pin/IMEI business is a bit iffy?

I am not exactly sure how to contact Orange? To check if the IMEI/PIN issues?
    Please advise A.S.A.P
    Thanks!
    This really sounds like a scam and should be reported to e-Bay as soon as possible. e-bay has a NO TOLERANCE policy for this type of activity. If you advertise it as new and it is not you are in violation of e-Bay policy. If you advertise it as black and it is gray then you are in violation of e-Bay policy.

I suggest you contact the seller immediately and inform them that you are not satisfied and that you will only accept a full replacement of the item inthe color you ordered and NEW as it was advertised (this means the box and phone numbers must match) otherwise you will be making a formal complaint to e-Bay.
    02-20-09 06:56 AM
    He can complain but ebay doesn't care, he will have to ship back at his expense and wait for PP to refund.

02-20-09 07:15 AM
    If this was bought through ebay and paid for via PayPal then all you need do is to start a dispute with the vendor having first written to him and asking for a refund. If you get a refusal or, more likely, no response then start the dispute.

ebay will contact the vendor and is they are not satisfied they will tell you to ship the good back ate your own expense using a Post Office tracking number which you send them.

ebay/PayPal will then refund you all your money + the original shipping. You lose out on the return postage only.

I have been through this process several times and it works.
    02-20-09 07:27 AM
    This sounds fishy to me if for no other reason than the seller described the item as brand new in box. I would send it back just on the principal of the matter even if nothing else was wrong with it.

People pull this crap all of the time, just counting on the fact that the buyer will just "settle" and leave it alone. They *** U ME that the buyer will think it isn't worth the trouble to send it back, file a complaint with PP, or even have the cajones to tell them that they are a filthy liar.

I would file a complaint, get my money back, then send the phone back even if I had to eat the extra shipping costs.

02-20-09 07:30 AM
    Schatzy62's advice is pretty good.

However first things first, contact Orange and find out if its stolen or not. Then decide whether or not you want to keep it if all is good and you are able to get up and running with it. Chances are you may wish to keep it but you may feel that you have overpaid for it considering its not new. Using the info supplied above you could try for a partial refund maybe?

Its up to you really, I probably wouldn't be too happy with a different colour battery cover but I could always get a new one!

02-20-09 07:31 AM
    Schatzy62's advice is pretty good.

However first things first, contact Orange and find out if its stolen or not. Then decide whether or not you want to keep it if all is good and you are able to get up and running with it. Chances are you may wish to keep it but you may feel that you have overpaid for it considering its not new. Using the info supplied above you could try for a partial refund maybe?

Its up to you really, I probably wouldn't be too happy with a different colour battery cover but I could always get a new one!

That's the rub you see. Got it at a bargain price, however I do not condone lying/stealing! I sent an email to the seller asking him what in the world was going on.... and just generally asking him to be straight with me. It is all very cordial at the moment. Waiting for his reply(hopefully). I don't want to escalate to a dispute if he can satisfactorily answer my questions...wish he was honest about everything in the first place, after all I was considering buying a used phone at one point...
    02-20-09 07:54 AM
    If it turns out that its not stolen, and you can activate. I would contact the seller and threaten to report it if he doesn't give you a partial refund. Just my .02

02-20-09 07:56 AM
    Aspiring, I bought a BB off eBay. It was advertised as brand new- never opened. My first problem came when I hadnt rec'd the phone in 2 weeks. I had sent email to the seller, who never responded.

I contacted PayPal and was told to file a dispute for item not rec'd- which I did. At this time, the seller still hadnt responded- until PayPal froze their account- which at this point, the seller had nothing but communication for me.

When I finally rec'd the phone, I discovered that it was not brand new- never open; but in fact, had been activated. Now interestingly enough, the seller, after having mailed off my item, started sending me very nasty emails demanding that I cancel my dispute I still had open. As far as the seller was concerned, the check was in the mail; so to speak.

It was due to the seller being so nasty with me that I felt inclined to leave the dispute open until AFTER I rec'd my phone. Once I discovered that the phone had a previous activation, my dispute escalated to a claim. The item sold had been misrepresented. I believe this is why the seller wanted me to cancel the dispute because once canceled, it cant be reopened and no claim can be filed.

In the end, PayPal reviewed all the dialogue between the seller and myself and honored my claim I didnt get all my money back- but most of it.

You have several issues going on that requires some action on the part of the seller. Handle all your inquiries with the seller through eBay's messaging system; this way everything is kept above board and eBay and PayPal will also see those same conversations.

If after 1 or 2 messages, you feel that the seller has scammed you, file a dispute!!!
    02-20-09 08:58 AM
    Aspiring, I bought a BB off eBay. It was advertised as brand new- never opened. My first problem came when I hadnt rec'd the phone in 2 weeks. I had sent email to the seller, who never responded.

I contacted PayPal and was told to file a dispute for item not rec'd- which I did. At this time, the seller still hadnt responded- until PayPal froze their account- which at this point, the seller had nothing but communication for me.

When I finally rec'd the phone, I discovered that it was not brand new- never open; but in fact, had been activated. Now interestingly enough, the seller, after having mailed off my item, started sending me very nasty emails demanding that I cancel my dispute I still had open. As far as the seller was concerned, the check was in the mail; so to speak.

It was due to the seller being so nasty with me that I felt inclined to leave the dispute open until AFTER I rec'd my phone. Once I discovered that the phone had a previous activation, my dispute escalated to a claim. The item sold had been misrepresented. I believe this is why the seller wanted me to cancel the dispute because once canceled, it cant be reopened and no claim can be filed.

In the end, PayPal reviewed all the dialogue between the seller and myself and honored my claim I didnt get all my money back- but most of it.

You have several issues going on that requires some action on the part of the seller. Handle all your inquiries with the seller through eBay's messaging system; this way everything is kept above board and eBay and PayPal will also see those same conversations.

If after 1 or 2 messages, you feel that the seller has scammed you, file a dispute!!!
    That's right, you tell 'em Lex! Put the smack down! Oh, by the way, welcome to crackberry newbie! *said tongue in cheek*

02-20-09 09:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD