Please help. Blackberry 8310 accidentily fell in the toilet (don't ask). How do I dry it out,and will it ever work again? [email protected]
    11-07-09 09:50 AM
    Remove the battery immediately.

Then place device and battery in a bag of dried rice for 24 hours. This will remove the moisture.

This trick has worked for many people in your situation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 09:54 AM
    Thanks. I'll try that
    11-07-09 10:08 AM
    Putting your phone in a zip lock bag with dried uncooked rice will introduce rice dust inside your phone.

Now the dust will interact with the water on your motherboard. Possibly creating more damage.

If you have those gel packs that you get with new electronic equipment, use them in the zip lock bags. There is no dust and they will "suck" out just as much moisture.

If your phone doesn't come back to life and it is still under warranty, your provider will ask the question, did you drop the phone or get it wet. If you answer no to both questions, they will take it apart and there is an indicator strip that will show that it has been introduced to water.

You can't hide it.

But if you have insurance, your in luck. This accident is covered under insurance.
    11-07-09 10:20 AM
    Re: Toilet Bown Plague
    I dropped my tour in the bowl about a month ago. i grabbed it right out as soon as it fell in (clean water thank god) supprisingly it still worked. It did however start going downhill from there. 2 days later the flash on my phone wouldnt turn off and if youve had that light on in a dark place you know how annoying that can be. that lasted for about 5 days then just stopped. it was perfect for about 2 weeks after that, then out of nowhere everything started to die slowly. moral is ... your phones gonna die eventually. back up what you have and cut your losses. but make sure you back up your phone book separatly. BBM contact list can be backed up from the phone.
    11-07-09 10:38 AM
    I can't agree more with Alcides on this one.

My experience shows that your phone is going to die a slow agonizing, and perhaps painful death. Sorry.
    11-07-09 11:01 AM
    Sad but true, that is likely death for a BB. But, take it from me, u only actually ever make that mistake once!

11-07-09 03:49 PM
    Put it in a bag of rice for at least 3 days to maybe 2 or 3 weeks. Don't blow dry it would make it worse.

11-07-09 03:56 PM
    If all else fails
    Rubbing alchohol plus air dry
    Airdry = no fan or blowdryer
    Good luck

Rice try first

11-07-09 08:20 PM
    I dropped my curve in mountain dew lol...I pulled the battery out and let it sit for a few days and it works fine, actually better than b4 (go figure) its really just a matter of luck I guess

Good luck

11-08-09 12:55 AM
    Had a friend of mine drop hers in water also. She did the bag of rice trick plus put the bag in her hot car during the daylight hours. Phone is working fine now.
    11-08-09 02:33 AM
    This is the best method especially after a toilet bath.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-...ht-way-318876/
    11-08-09 03:43 AM
    This really isn't the BEST way to deal with a wet phone...

This is the best method especially after a toilet bath.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-...ht-way-318876/
    11-08-09 04:17 AM
    This really isn't the BEST way to deal with a wet phone...
    Actually the information contained in this post is THE BEST method to insure that you phone is dry but more importantly not covered with bacteria from the toilet.

Edti:
    By the way, if you do a search for it, you will find many of the major help sites like Popular Mechanics, DIY, CNET, WikiHow, etc... all list an alcohol bath as the best way to displace water. They refer to alcohol being hygroscopic, which means it displaces water. Most also make note of the possiblity of rice dust infiltration into the device and suggest the same silica gel packs that I have suggested previously.
    Last edited by barbwyr; 11-08-09 at 04:32 AM.
    11-08-09 04:21 AM
    I agree alcohol one way to displace water, but the phone dunk you describe is never going to work. And should anyone try it they will also realize the phone will never work after it is dunked. I do agree alcohol baths are a fantastic way to remove contaminates for some electronic parts, however as I said before, the phone dunk is not the way to go. I'm sure the alcohol dunk will remove the bacteria from the phone, but the phone is never going to work.

And since you are quoting so many articles, can you show me one that states an alcohol dunk is the way to go for cell phones? Not the generic statements that states alcohol is good for removing contaminants from electronic parts, but something specific that states (from a reliable source), that you can dunk your phone and it will work? If so, I would be very interested in seeing it.

Actually the information contained in this post is THE BEST method to insure that you phone is dry but more importantly not covered with bacteria from the toilet.

Edti:
    By the way, if you do a search for it, you will find many of the major help sites like Popular Mechanics, DIY, CNET, WikiHow, etc... all list an alcohol bath as the best way to displace water. They refer to alcohol being hygroscopic, which means it displaces water. Most also make note of the possiblity of rice dust infiltration into the device and suggest the same silica gel packs that I have suggested previously.
    Last edited by tmp3150; 11-08-09 at 06:56 AM.
    11-08-09 06:36 AM
    I agree alcohol one way to displace water, but the phone dunk you describe is never going to work. And should anyone try it they will also realize the phone will never work after it is dunked. I do agree alcohol baths are a fantastic way to remove contaminates for some electronic parts, however as I said before, the phone dunk is not the way to go. I'm sure the alcohol dunk will remove the bacteria from the phone, but the phone is never going to work.

And since you are quoting so many articles, can you show me one that states an alcohol dunk is the way to go for cell phones? Not the generic statements that states alcohol is good for removing contaminants from electronic parts, but something specific that states (from a reliable source), that you can dunk your phone and it will work? If so, I would be very interested in seeing it.
    As I said..DO A SEARCH. I did and came up with info on how to save a wet CELL PHONE and they refer to the use of alcohol to displace water. Also, I have previously stated that I have used the dunk method to remove dirt, mud and water from RC Car radio recievers, Electronic Speed controllers, and servos for 20 years now and have never lost a unit due to this and in fact credit this process in avoiding the loss of many expensive units due to racing in the rain or on wet muddy tracks. You state 3 times that a device won't work after an alcohol dunk but you are in fact WRONG.
    11-08-09 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD