I am toying around with the possibility of upgrading to the 4.5.0.52 version beta for the Curve 8300 but I have an important favor to ask those fellow 8300 users who already took the plunge.

I have an account (and ebooks) from ebooks.com. They have an online reader that allows you to view your titles online using their proprietary "eb20" reader.

Currently, I cannot read my "ebooks.com" ebooks in their online "eb20" reader with my OS 4.2 berry browser (or Opera Mini for that matter).

I WILL update to the beta OS 4.5.0.52 version if I can do this. However, I do not want to upgrade only to realize that I cannot read them STILL! So, you see my dilemma.

I thought I would save some time by politely asking (ok, begging!) some of my fellow Crackberry members to see if this can be done so I can consider the upgrade further.

I enclosed an image of the link needed. Instructions are included below as well:

1) Go to ebooks.com.

2) Click the text link shown in the enclosed image (it's located on the main page of the site).

3) After clicking the link, a new page will open. Select ANY of the ebooks listed to open it's page and description. (You DO NOT have to create an account to do this!).

4) When the title's page loads, click the GREEN "Preview" button under the image for the book and this will load the "eb20" online reader.

5) Once the reader loads, let me know if you can read the text. All I get with OS 4.2's browser is the table of contents (I cannot get the actual PAGES of the ebook to load or be visible).

6) If you have a screenshot utility for your berry, I would completely welcome a screenshot of what you see on your berry! (that would be an added bonus and would very much make my day!)

Sorry, I know this is a tall order, but those of you with the Curve 8300 (or ANY berry for that matter) and OS 4.5 should be able to do this rather quickly. (I hear the new berry browser in that version is MUCH faster than the OS 4.2 version!).

Thanks in advance for any help with this. If you can read an ebook, I'm BETA-BOUND!

P.S. I have Mobipocket Reader with some titles, but this is a much different need (so that's not an option or a "workaround" for my issue). Why? I didn't want to buy the same book TWICE! lol!
    Last edited by cellinator; 07-16-08 at 01:39 PM.
    07-16-08 01:36 PM
    Anyone out there? Lol... Help this poor ebook reader!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 02:59 PM
    I'm not sure to be honest. But it only takes 30 minutes to upgrade. If it doesn't work, take 30 minutes and downgrade. No biggie.

07-16-08 03:05 PM
    It takes longer than that to upgrade (at least the older "official" OS did). I would rather not do that if I can get the information from someone.

Can anybody help?
    07-16-08 03:08 PM
    It took me 40 minutes MAX to install OS 4.5 on my 8300 and it works fine. If reading ebooks is so important to you, perhaps you can take 40 minutes to an hour out of your day to find out if OS 4.5 can do what you want.

07-16-08 03:28 PM
    I bet you could have done it in the time it took you to post that thread!

07-16-08 03:29 PM
    gah look at all those loosers up there complaining about ur request...

here's what i found...
    bb browser= a no go
    opera mini however worked perfectly when i set image quality to high and font size to large...
    not sure if font size did anything but all the same it worked perfectly

so u don't even need to upgrade all u need is opera mini...
    but i would reccomend upgrading since i love the video camera

EDIT:Btw i found it is easier to read when u know that space is to go down, S is to go left, and F is to go right...
    idk what up is ( this is all for opera mini)
    Last edited by ferralis; 07-16-08 at 03:40 PM.
    07-16-08 03:34 PM
    Had some time so I gave it a try for you-running OS 4.5.0.52 on an 8320 Curve and I got all the way to the preview section but after selecting preview it just takes me to a green screen with the books title, a left arrow and right arrow, the Buy Now, and add to site option. No text.When I try to hit an arrow it gives me a java exception. Looks like you are staying with you current OS. Did this with the bb browser.
    07-16-08 03:40 PM
    I bet you could have done it in the time it took you to post that thread!

I'm very sorry to trouble you. In the time it took for you to post this rude comment, you could have checked ebooks.com and actually helped in a manner consistent with this entire site's purpose and goal...

The first title in the "preview" at ebooks.com was "Anger Management for Dummies". Looks like you missed an opportunity to help TWO people.
    07-16-08 09:10 PM
    gah look at all those loosers up there complaining about ur request...

here's what i found...
    bb browser= a no go
    opera mini however worked perfectly when i set image quality to high and font size to large...
    not sure if font size did anything but all the same it worked perfectly

so u don't even need to upgrade all u need is opera mini...
    but i would reccomend upgrading since i love the video camera

EDIT:Btw i found it is easier to read when u know that space is to go down, S is to go left, and F is to go right...
    idk what up is ( this is all for opera mini)
    Thanks for the help! That did the trick. Never thought to change those settings!
    07-16-08 09:12 PM
    Had some time so I gave it a try for you-running OS 4.5.0.52 on an 8320 Curve and I got all the way to the preview section but after selecting preview it just takes me to a green screen with the books title, a left arrow and right arrow, the Buy Now, and add to site option. No text.When I try to hit an arrow it gives me a java exception. Looks like you are staying with you current OS. Did this with the bb browser.
    Thanks for the info! That really helps! (CrackBerry to the rescue!)

JUST FOR A CHUCKLE...
    By the way, I went to an AT&T store and tried to log in using the new iPhone. The Safari browser rendered it perfectly. I said "Cool!" and the lady asked "Did you want to upgrade to the new iPhone?". I looked her square in the eye and said, "The iPhone is NO BlackBerry...". Two people in the room agreed with me!

I don't have many cool moments, but that was a good one.
    07-16-08 09:16 PM
    Thanks for the info! That really helps! (CrackBerry to the rescue!)

JUST FOR A CHUCKLE...
    By the way, I went to an AT&T store and tried to log in using the new iPhone. The Safari browser rendered it perfectly. I said "Cool!" and the lady asked "Did you want to upgrade to the new iPhone?". I looked her square in the eye and said, "The iPhone is NO BlackBerry...". Two people in the room agreed with me!

I don't have many cool moments, but that was a good one.
    That's awesome you should have said I'm sorry don't you mean downgrade and showed her your BB.
    07-16-08 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD