My blackberry has deleted all past calendar events that are not repeat appointments. It has also deleted all my texts, e-mails and phone history.

This has happened several times since April, and I don't know what to do. I thought it might be a memory-too-full problem, so I deleted a lot of lovely pictures and songs, but it hasn't helped.

Please tell me how to install a warning that this will happen or to shut off this automatically-screw-you-over function!
    06-25-08 01:42 PM
    See if the link on how to increase memory in my signature is of any help to you.
    06-25-08 01:57 PM
    ^^^thats what you need to do^^^ just make sure you back-up before attempting
    06-25-08 01:58 PM
    Yeah, there's a good chance it's a memory leak... and if you have your media on a microSD card, then deleting pictures / music isn't going to boost your memory.

You may have your berry overlaoded with applications. You should definitely check out the above link.

Best of Luck!
    06-25-08 01:59 PM
    It also might be your phone. I had a pearl for about two weeks and it did this three times and I was no where near close to using my memory (I had had the phone two days and hadn't used anything and it erased everything). If your memory isn't close to full I would take it to your carrier. Verizon said it was a known problem and switched mine out with no questions. Once it did it again I said screw the Pearl (Verizon was having issues w/ only this one) and got the Curve
    06-25-08 03:48 PM
    thanks everyone. I do have a lot of memo's and calendar appointments from over the years, but I straight up need them.

I followed the "simple" section, bt the rest requires a PC. What can I do if I only have a Mac? And how are people with macs syncing? I've just been using Entourage.
    06-25-08 05:25 PM
    Quick help:

Go to Options, Advanced Options, Applications. Scroll to BlackBerry Sample Video. Press Menu, select Delete. Voila - 2Mb memory back.

Now pull the battery out for 30secs and replace it. Do this once a week, it helps a lot.

This should hold you while you read up what to do next
    06-25-08 05:26 PM
    also, is there a way to see how much memory is being taken up? That'd be a pretty quick indicator as to whether memory is the problem.

and is there a way I can transfer some of the memory store to the media card I have (2 gig) rather than the device memory? I could do that with the palm...
    06-25-08 05:29 PM
    You can only store media, and documents on the memory card sorry. To see how much memory is being used menu/options/status
    06-25-08 05:35 PM
    also, is there a way to see how much memory is being taken up? That'd be a pretty quick indicator as to whether memory is the problem.

and is there a way I can transfer some of the memory store to the media card I have (2 gig) rather than the device memory? I could do that with the palm...
    Go to Options, Status. Look at File Free: the number is in bytes so divide by a million to get MB. You need 12Mb for the phone to work well. Alt-LeftShift-H gets you there too.

The card is called a Media Card for the simple reason that it can only store stuff and cannot be used to install programs on. Best way is to get all your media off the phone and onto the Media Card. The delete any unused applications or themes or ringtones that reside in Device Memory.

I'm off to bed now 00:35AM here but leave me a note and I'll help some more tomorrow.
    06-25-08 05:36 PM
    I see that the Brotha is here. He knows what he is about. Also you should read the link that SK1 left for you earlier.
    06-25-08 05:38 PM
    You can only store media, and documents on the memory card sorry. To see how much memory is being used menu/options/status
    Well, you can store pictures and other media on the device memory, but it's not recommended as it eats up precious memory.
    06-25-08 06:03 PM
    Text messages (SMS), picture messages (MMS), or call logs automatically delete - BlackBerry� Pearl� 8100 / Pearl� 8120 / Curve� 8320 / 8800 / 8820 Print Page

When text messages (SMS), picture messages (MMS), or call logs automatically delete from the device, perform the following to resolve the issue:

Review information about the issue

* The device utilizes an application called Low Memory Manager (LMM).
    * This is automatically activated when the available device (flash) memory decreases to less than 400KB.
    * Device (flash) memory is used to store items application data (such as Messages, Calendar, Address Book, Tasks, MemoPad, and third-party applications).
    * When the device runs low on device memory and LMM is activated, the device may start deleting call logs and messages.

Check the available memory

Important:When you remove the battery, the 'File Free' field resets. This does NOT actually clear or free up memory on the device. You must manually clear device (flash) memory.

1. From the Home screen, press the Menu key.
    2. Scroll to and select the Options icon.
    * Note: Press the trackball to select.
    3. Scroll to and select Status.
    4. View the available memory:
    * The available memory is lists as File Free.
    * The total memory of the device is lists as File Total.
    * Note: It is recommended to maintain a minimum File Free of 400 to 500KB. The device has 64MB of internal memory (displays bytes). To determine the size in KB, divde the value by 1024.

Set the device to keep messages and calendar items for 30 days or less

Calendar

2. Scroll to and select the Calendar icon.
    3. Press the Menu key.
    4. Scroll to and select Options.
    5. Scroll to and select General Options.
    6. From the Keep Appointments field, select one of the following:
    * 15 Days
    * 30 days
    7. Press the Menu key.
    8. Select Save.

2. Scroll to and select the Messages icon.
    3. Press the Menu key.
    5. Scroll to and select General Options.
    6. From the Keep Messages field, select one of the following:
    * 15 Days
    * 30 days
    7. Press the Menu key.
    8. Select Save.

Set the call log options to use less memory

1. From the Home screen, press the green Send key.
    * Note: Alternatively, press the Menu key, the select the Call Log icon.
    2. Press the Menu key.
    3. Scroll to and select Options.
    4. Scroll to and select Call Logging.
    5. From Show These Call Log Types In Message List, select one of the following:
    * Missed Calls
    * None (recommended)
    6. Press the Menu key.
    7. Select Save.

Set the device to use less memory for picture allocation

Note: This setting determines the amount of memory the device reserves for pictures.

2. Scroll to and select the Media icon.
    3. Press the Menu key.
    5. From the Reserved Pictures Memory, select 2MB.
    6. Press the Menu key.
    7. Select Save.

Change the default storage location to save all pictures to the microSD memory card

Note: This option is only available if you have a memory card in the device.

From the Home screen, press the Menu key.
    Scroll to and select the Camera icon.
    Note: Press the trackball to select.
    Press the Menu key.
    Scroll to and select Options.
    From the Store Pictures Field, select On Media Card.
    6. Press the Menu key.
    7. Select Save.

Clear clear the browser cache, cookies, or history from the device

Select your appropriate device below:

* BlackBerry 8800
    * BlackBerry 8820
    * BlackBerry Curve 8320
    * BlackBerry Pearl 8100
    * BlackBerry Pearl 8120

How to clear the browser cache, cookies, or history - BlackBerry� Curve� 8320 Print Page

To clear the browser cache, cookies, or history on the handheld, follow these steps:

1. From a Web page, press the Menu key.
    2. Scroll to and select Options.
    * NOTE: Press the Trackball to select.
    3. Scroll to and select one of the following to adjust settings:
    * Browser Configuration
    * General Properties
    * Cache Operations
    o From Cache Operations, scroll to and select Clear to clear the desired cache option.

Transfer files to the media card

See: How to transfer media files between the microSD memory card and device memory.

Transfer files to a computer using the Media Manager Tool in BlackBerry Desktop Manager

1. Connect the device to the computer.
    2. From the computer, open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    3. Click Media Manager.
    4. In the right column, double click Device Memory.
    5. Locate and open the desired file or folder to move.
    6. Drag and drop the file or folder to move the content from the right column to the left column.
    * Note: Once moved, you must delete the content from the device.
    7. Click the file or folder in the right column.
    8. Right-click the file or folder.
    9. Scroll to and select Delete.
    10. Close the Media Manager.

View and shut down running applications

Note: You may want to remove any unecessary applications (such as the sample video, Brick Breaker, Password Keeper, and Instant Messaging) if you do not frequently use them. See the section below.

How to view and shut down running applications - BlackBerry� Pearl� 8100
    How to view and shut down running applications - BlackBerry� 8800 / Curve� 8320

Remove unused programs (such as games or third-party applications)

Note: The BlackBerry sample video may be removed by these steps.

2. Scroll to and select the Options icon.
    3. Scroll to and select Advanced Options.
    4. Scroll to and select Applications.
    5. Scroll to the application you want to remove.
    6. Press the Menu key.
    7. Select Delete.
    * A confirmation message to delete the application displays.
    8. Select Delete.
    * If prompted to restart the device, select Yes.

Remove unused language support

Note: If you do not use additional languages, you can remove the support. Removing certain languages may interfere with SureType or other functionality. Consult your manual to determine if this is the best option for you.

2. Scroll to and select the Setup Wizard icon.
    3. Scroll to and select Languages.
    * Note: Some device software versions have a 'Language Removal' screen. Clear any language check boxes that you do not use.
    4. Complete the remainder of the Setup Wizard.
    * The device removes all languages you do not select.
    06-25-08 07:54 PM
    Good post ^^. Straight from the RIM KB. I wish more people would read stuff like this.
    06-26-08 03:18 AM
    Anyone know how to get rid of a missed call icon on the BB 8120. After my call and message logs were wiped out, I can't get rid of the icon even when my call log was empty, showing no missed calls! Help!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 06:10 PM
    WoW RS, I made a BlackBerry tips document from which I copy and paste advice here - and it took me a week to do it. You have written everything I have on my list and a couple more! You're the man. I recommend everyone reading this thread copy and save your post - and if anyone posts it, they attribute it to you. Perhaps Admin could give you a sticky in the FAQ section titled Memory Management Everyone Can Do.

For others who want to see how your memory is being allocated, go to Options>Status, press your menu key, select database sizes. It might open your eyes where all your memory is being used.

Recently I helped a friend move ten or eleven pictures to her media card from her device memory, her file free before was just over 6mb, it was over 12mb when we were done. We cleared over 6mb of tied up memory before we even opened the memory optimization guide.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 06:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD