I apologize, I know this question has been asked multiple times, but I'm still slightly unclear on this issue.

I cracked the screen of my curve yesterday. It looks like just the lens, as there is no distortion of the actual LCD screen.

Before I order replacements parts, I just want to make sure that I'm getting the correct items. Can I just buy the lens and is it really that simple to just pop the old one off and put the new one in? Or am I better off buying the faceplate and taking it apart?

Thank you in advance.

02-02-09 12:56 PM
    Ouch, that is hard to look at.

You should be able to buy just the lens and pry the old one off and glue the new one in. There are vids on youtube that show how to do this.
    02-02-09 01:09 PM
    Ouch, that is hard to look at.

You should be able to buy just the lens and pry the old one off and glue the new one in. There are vids on youtube that show how to do this.
    Yeah, it's pretty rough. But luckily my phone is still 100% functional.

I have looked at the youtube videos and it looked almost too easy. I just wanted to make sure I was getting the right part before I ordered.

Thank you for the reply!
    02-02-09 01:13 PM
    lol, yeah in the vids the lens comes right off, but in reality you will probably have to really pry at it risking damage to the surrounding housing.
    02-02-09 01:16 PM
    lol, yeah in the vids the lens comes right off, but in reality you will probably have to really pry at it risking damage to the surrounding housing.
    I figured as much. Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to be extra careful.
    02-02-09 01:30 PM
    Well the last time I did a lens replacement I took my 8310 apart. It's a little more time but it saves you from possibly whacking the LCD or really scuffing up the housing. I had no problem taking the housing apart. Plus you can make sure the phone clean and dust free before screwing it back together. Just my opinion though.
    02-02-09 01:33 PM
    Well the last time I did a lens replacement I took my 8310 apart. It's a little more time but it saves you from possibly whacking the LCD or really scuffing up the housing. I had no problem taking the housing apart. Plus you can make sure the phone clean and dust free before screwing it back together. Just my opinion though.
    That's a good point. I'd be really upset if I ended up doing more damage. Perhaps I'll just go that route and be safe. Thanks!
    02-02-09 01:41 PM
    The screen really does just come off. If you use a plastic pry tool (ie small putty knife) then just a bit of constant pressure and it will pop up enough to grab and pull off. Only drawback is that you will most likely end up with dust on the LCD after putting the new one one. Like the others said, may be better to replace the whole housing. I'd do it in a steamy bathroom to prevent dust. I changed my housing months ago and have regretted it ever since due to the dust.
    02-02-09 01:43 PM
    For some reason people I know ask me to help them fix their BBs. So now I keep canned air and pre-moistened camera lens cleaning cloths on hand. Walmart has both. Actually I know the reason people ask me...I am addicted!!! There I said it.
    02-02-09 01:49 PM
    The screen really does just come off. If you use a plastic pry tool (ie small putty knife) then just a bit of constant pressure and it will pop up enough to grab and pull off. Only drawback is that you will most likely end up with dust on the LCD after putting the new one one. Like the others said, may be better to replace the whole housing. I'd do it in a steamy bathroom to prevent dust. I changed my housing months ago and have regretted it ever since due to the dust.
    That would annoy me as much as the giant crack in my screen! Thanks for that tip.

For some reason people I know ask me to help them fix their BBs. So now I keep canned air and pre-moistened camera lens cleaning cloths on hand. Walmart has both. Actually I know the reason people ask me...I am addicted!!! There I said it.
    Now I feel better about doing this myself. I'll make sure to have those on hand when I'm ready to replace the lens.
    02-02-09 01:52 PM
    Might think about having an extra screen on hand if you're gonna make this a habit!

Hey, smile, I'm just joshing ya! Lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 02:14 PM
    Also there is a foam rubber seal that resides inside the front housing between the lens and LCD just make sure that stays intact. It should be fine. You need to order the black trim lens similar to this one but you probably already know that.

OEM Blackberry Curve 8300 8310 8320 LCD LENS BLACK :: Blackberry :: LCD LENS / Glass :: Truesupplier - The best mobile phone and PDA accessories wholesale CO.
    02-02-09 02:19 PM
    Might think about having an extra screen on hand if you're gonna make this a habit!

Hey, smile, I'm just joshing ya! Lol.

HAHA! I was just telling someone that I feel like I should have ordered an extra screen, just in case we have another incident.
    02-02-09 02:20 PM
    Also there is a foam rubber seal that resides inside the front housing between the lens and LCD just make sure that stays intact. It should be fine. You need to order the black trim lens similar to this one but you probably already know that.
    I actually just ordered the part from cnn about 15 minutes ago!
    02-02-09 02:29 PM
    Awsome let us know how it goes!

02-02-09 02:31 PM
    Awsome let us know how it goes!

I certainly will. And if I run into any problems, you'll all be hearing from me!

Thanks everyone for all the help!
    Last edited by MrsTransparent; 02-02-09 at 02:42 PM.
    02-02-09 02:38 PM
    [QUOTE=dvdfan2k;1564824]Ouch, that is hard to look at.

i feel you..
    02-02-09 07:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD