I apologize now if there is another thread on this, but I could not find it.

I am new to BB. I have taken a ton of pictures with my curve in the short amount of time that I have had it, at all angles and ranges. For some reason I can not get the camera to take a quality focused picture.

Has anyone else had this problem or is it just me.
    08-31-08 07:46 PM
    I have note had ANY problems with my 8330 camera except , if I try to take a really close picture (ie macro) of say a bee on a flower, then its always blurry

It is common for a camera phones lens to be dirty quite often from being in your pocket or finger prints from handling it. It is always a good idea to clean the lense before taking pictures.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by GrandMasterB; 08-31-08 at 07:55 PM.
    08-31-08 07:53 PM
    ya.... i wish the curve had a macro setting
    08-31-08 07:55 PM
    mine are blurry in close or far away.
    08-31-08 07:56 PM
    mine are blurry in close or far away.

clean the dust off ur lens
    08-31-08 07:57 PM
    clean the dust off ur lens
    I wish it was as simple as that.

At first I thought that I just didn't have a steady enough hand, ( to much crown ) but I even braced it to take the pic, with the same results.
    08-31-08 08:02 PM
    You have to realize that the camera doesn't have a focus function. It has a very small apeture, ie light hole, so there is more in focus from front to back. If you're outside of those ranges, you'll get a blurry pic.

The lens might be dirty too.

Mine has been taking great pics

Last edited by dgdave; 08-31-08 at 08:18 PM.
    08-31-08 08:03 PM
    I wish it was as simple as that.

At first I thought that I just didn't have a steady enough hand, ( to much crown ) but I even braced it to take the pic, with the same results.
    i've been there
    08-31-08 08:07 PM
    well, until I figure this out. (To much Crown ) will be my excuse for crappy pictures
    08-31-08 08:13 PM
    First, did you take the lens cover off?jk

Second, have you checked to make sure that there isn't a fingerprint or smudge on the camera lens?

Third, the camera on the BlackBerry is not meant to take too closepd a picture. Try taking a photo of something across the room. Use your zoom. You don't have to be on top of the subject.
    Other than that, did you out your glasses on?

09-01-08 01:37 AM
    First, did you take the lens cover off?jk

Second, have you checked to make sure that there isn't a fingerprint or smudge on the camera lens?

Third, the camera on the BlackBerry is not meant to take too closepd a picture. Try taking a photo of something across the room. Use your zoom. You don't have to be on top of the subject.
    Other than that, did you out your glasses on?

Lenscover? What are you talking about?

jkk
    09-01-08 05:16 AM
    Lens cover to funny.

Just an update as I have the same issue. Also the wife who runs the same device has the same issue. The picture looks fine on the device, but on a computer they are always a bit blurry.

We have done everything as stated above and nothing has gotten better.
    09-01-08 07:23 AM
    You have a tiny pinhole appature and a small 2 Mp image element. The square root gives the pixel dimentions, 1400 x 1400 maximum.

That will never rival a 35 mm film image, or the latest high pixel count camera.

If quality counts, use a dedicated camera.
    09-01-08 09:47 AM
    You have a tiny pinhole appature and a small 2 Mp image element. The square root gives the pixel dimentions, 1400 x 1400 maximum.

That will never rival a 35 mm film image, or the latest high pixel count camera.

If quality counts, use a dedicated camera.
    I agree that the camera on the BB is not the same as a 35MM camera. But I was hoping to be able to actually tell what the picture was of. I do not really need 35mm camera quality, Just a clear picture.

I am a contractor by trade, and I use the camera on my BB to take pictures of job site problem areas and send them attached to an email to my customers. Most of the responses I get back from my customers is that they can not tell what the picture is of because of the blurriness.

It may be as simple as my picture taking ability just sucks. But from some of the above post, others are having the same problem.
    09-01-08 10:43 AM
    My father in law is a contractor , so I know exactly what you are going through. I feel I need to say that , in america anyways , a 2 megapixel camera on a phone is pretty damned good! I take pictures with mine all the time and post them to the Curve pictures Thread and on Flickr and they look spectacular on the PC monitor in their native resolution.

So let me just point out a couple of things real fast, if I may. First make sure your setting are optimized to take the highest resolution picture the Curve is capable of taking. The cameras settings should be set to;

Flash Setting On*
    White Balance Automatic*
    Picture Size Large 1600x1200
    Picture Quality Superfine

Flash setting does not HAVE to be "on" but you should always use it when possible because the more light the better the "indoor" pictures are going to turn out.* TIP - press the space bar to toggle the flash settings while taking pictures*

White balance does OK on auto BUT you will find more often than not you will see better results when you set the white balance for each particular shooting location. Play with it and see what I mean.

Of course picture size and quality should always be maxxed.

Most importantly is your lighting , I cannot stress enough how important adequate lighting is going to be for these 2 mp pictures to turn out well. Whenever possible turn on any supplemental lighting to improve the overall brightness of the photos.

With all that being said if your BlackBerry is still taking blurry photos by all means there is something wrong with it. My BlackBerry takes amazing photos and like I said I am a member of a few groups that take pictures with their BlackBerry specifically and the only bad photos I EVER see are in poor lighting situations.

Compare it with a friends BlackBerry if possible or even a floor model and your local carrier , and if yours is not up to par see if you can't get it replaced............

09-01-08 11:47 AM
    Thank you GrandMasterB,

Now can someone tell me how to get to the place to check these settings? I can not seem to find it.

Flash Setting On*
    White Balance Automatic*
    Picture Size Large 1600x1200
    Picture Quality Superfine
    09-01-08 03:33 PM
    never mind, I figured it out.

Now off to take some pic's
    09-01-08 03:41 PM
    Let's us know if they're any better for you. Personally I feel as if my BlackBerry Curve takes some of the best pictures I have ever taken with a "phone".

09-01-08 03:45 PM
    Something else just occured to me. Are you using a case with a protective lens cover?

That will have a huge impact on your image quality.

I recall another member discovering that.

Perhaps a comparison image would help.

09-01-08 03:51 PM
    Something else just occured to me. Are you using a case with a protective lens cover?

That will have a huge impact on your image quality.

I recall another member discovering that.

Perhaps a comparison image would help.
    Good call on the case idea , I never would have thought of that. Even better thought on a picture for comparison , that is a great example of the pictures these BlackBerry's are capable of taking. What's her name?

09-01-08 03:57 PM
    His name was Max, I lost him a couple months ago, a highway accident.

He was a good dog, but he had a taste for BlackBerrys.

09-01-08 04:13 PM
    Sorry to hear about Max...........

In his defense those cases are Garbage anyways

09-01-08 04:19 PM
    They are lined with dog proof plastic armour, but I am sure he was just playing with it. The Curve inside survived, all I could ask for in protective case.
    09-01-08 04:22 PM
    After changing the setting to the ones recommended by GrandMasterB, I went out an took several pictures and I am glad to report that it seems to have fixed the blurry problem I was having.

Thanks for all of your help.
    09-01-08 06:39 PM
    Ok, I'm new, I've had BB 3 days...love it!!
    So where do I go for camera settings?
    Thanks for any help. I have a feeling I'm going to be learning all the things this phone.....ok mini pc can do for some time.
    09-03-08 02:44 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD