I am having the same problem with my curve. I will turn on pandora and the music will play for a few seconds through the line out of the headphone hack and then it will switch to the speakers on the curve. argh.

BTW the deductible through sprint insurance is now 100usd for most smartphones, including the curve. lame.
    06-20-09 07:34 AM
    Same thing here.

Try pushing the Speakerphone/$ button when the problem exists. Usually works for me. It seems to toggle between the two.

Mike
    06-23-09 11:04 AM
    Hey I have the same problem to. When I use iheart radio the plugs switch from speaker to headphones. I found that if you only plug in the head phone jack halfway, that the music will continue to play without switching back and forth. This has worked the last sevral times that I have used the headphones. Hope this helps some what.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I went to the headphone jack because of problems with bluetooth headset-microphone issues. (I'm still working that problem, but may have a solution with a decent ear-piece w/microphone from BestBuy.)
    At first the headphone jack worked fine and I could voice-dial, talk, and listen without a problem. The next time I attempted this, I found what I believe is an intermittent connection with the 'curve'. When I play around with the headset insertion, I can get a connection sometimes.
    There maybe an inter-relationship with the curve software and the hardware connection. I cannot say anything about that. All I know is if you don't have decent headphone-jack connection, you are SOL.
    I like my blackberry for lots of reasons. But the headphone issue makes me unhappy. So I will continue research for a while longer, including a talk with a Sprint and/or BlackBerry rep.
    I'm under 30 days after purchase and I have a multi-year insurance plan. I'll be discussing this with the Sprint/Nextel store in the near future and will use all of the CrackBerry discussions of this issue as evidence of the problem.
    07-06-09 06:54 PM
    I know exactly what u mean. Happened to me for the first time today, I've been under contract with sprint less then a month. It happened when I was listening to pandora in my car through the fm transmitter, I'm also convinced it is a software issue as the battery pull worked for me too. Has been working fine ever since although I anticipate ill have to battery pull again.

07-06-09 07:25 PM
    Me too! I have the same problem on my 8330 Curve from Verizon.

I only experience this problem when using the stock headphones with built-in microphone. When I connect the BB to my stereo or Sony headphones it never seems to switch to speaker.

Strangely, it seems a lot worse when I'm riding our lightrail train here in San Jose � the kind with the electrified cable hanging above the tracks. I'm thinking there must be some kind of environmental trigger. Every time the doors would close on the train the BB would momentarily switch to speaker, and then back to headphones, without me touching a thing. I wasn't jerking around or playing the jack or anything. Maybe this involves EMI somehow?!?! Maybe there is an unperceivable DC current flowing through the train, through my body, and into the device?

At any rate, this is frustrating for the same reason people have mentioned. I'd like to be able to ride the train, listen to music, and be ready to receive a phone call. Having a set of headphones with a mic is a must-have in this case. However, there seems to be something involving the mic and/or EMI, and/or some other environmental condition that aggravates the problem - at least for me.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottndsky; 07-16-09 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo
    07-16-09 02:40 PM
    I hate to bring back a dead thread, but this happened to my Curve listening to Slacker, about 10 minutes ago. I pulled the battery, and it worked normally. Is there a fix?
    03-05-10 09:32 AM
    I had exactly this problem listening to Stitcher. While in the program, and after you plug in your headset or external speaker, click options, and click audio source. It allows you to choose between device speaker or headset. If you click headset, it resolves the problem. Note: you only have these options available AFTER you connect your headset or external speaker.
    Last edited by provost57; 07-01-10 at 08:30 PM.
    07-01-10 07:52 PM
    I have been having the same problem in Stitcher. If I try to start the program then plug in my headphones the sound comes through the speaker phone no matter what I do. If I plug in the headphones and listen to the media player it works fine; then if I open Stitcher during the same session things work like they should. Funny though this just started happening in the past week or so.
    07-14-10 12:35 PM
    My 8330 Headphone jack is switching constantly back and forth from the speakerphone. Battery pull dont work, changing headphones don't work. Its Really a pain in the ...
    07-16-10 08:51 AM
    2 days ago I had a problem with headphones. when I plugged them the music was still playing on the phone not the headphones. plugging and unplugging didn't do anything. not even updating the blackberry software.
    I have a bb 9000 bold. seems like the wearing of the bb headphone connection loosened one small plate inside the hole of the headphones connector in the phone.
    The usual fix is to take it to a serviceshop and replace the headphone module.
    My quick fix :
    - if u look really careful inside the hole for headphones u will se a small plate just at the entrance ; that plate is not elastic anymore so it doesn't touch the headphone jack anymore
    - I lifted that small plate with a needle (easily so u don't brake it) and inserted the tip of toothpick (sharpen it so it's really thin so it brakes and remains inside under that plate). now that plate will always be lifted and it will touch the jack

Hope it helps
    07-19-10 07:56 AM
    I have had my BB 8330 for 2 months and the headphone jack never worked. I finally contacted BB support and they told me its the phone itself and they issued me a new phone but will take 2+weeks to get here since they are on back order
    07-21-10 04:41 PM
    While doing my daily power walk, I listen to Slacker radio. If I get an incoming call (or if I want to make a call) Slacker pauses the music until the call is over, then resumes where it left off. I like that.

I like to use a lightweight GE gaming headset on my Curve.

This gives me a boom mike in addition to stereo headphones. When a call comes in, I rotate the boom mike down and talk.

While sorting all of this out I discovered the type of headphone jack in my Blackberry to be what is known as "TRRS." The iPhone also uses this.

The "T" stands for tip, the "R" stands for "ring" and the "S" stands for sleeve.

Therefore TRRS means Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve. You can read up on this at Wikipedia.

Regular headphones use a TRS male connector.

Anyway, I have successfully used standard headphones on my Curve as well as the GE gaming headset.

I wonder if the software detects the two different connectors and sorts them out.

I have had connectivity problems where it seems to lose contact inside of the receptacle at random, with no physical action on the cord or phone to cause it.

Then, for days on end, rock solid performance.

Any thoughts?
    08-23-10 07:20 AM
    While doing my daily power walk, I listen to Slacker radio. If I get an incoming call (or if I want to make a call) Slacker pauses the music until the call is over, then resumes where it left off. I like that.

I like to use a lightweight GE gaming headset on my Curve.

This gives me a boom mike in addition to stereo headphones. When a call comes in, I rotate the boom mike down and talk.

While sorting all of this out I discovered the type of headphone jack in my Blackberry to be what is known as "TRRS." The iPhone also uses this.

The "T" stands for tip, the "R" stands for "ring" and the "S" stands for sleeve.

Therefore TRRS means Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve. You can read up on this at Wikipedia.

Regular headphones use a TRS male connector.

Anyway, I have successfully used standard headphones on my Curve as well as the GE gaming headset.

I wonder if the software detects the two different connectors and sorts them out.

I have had connectivity problems where it seems to lose contact inside of the receptacle at random, with no physical action on the cord or phone to cause it.

Then, for days on end, rock solid performance.

Any thoughts?
    I think it might be a bug with the 4.5 OS. I had problems like that when I first got my BB 8330 and thought it was the lousy headset w/mike that came with the BB. It was so annoying that I bought two different headsets trying to correct it. When I changed to a 5.0 hybrid OS the problem disappeared.
    08-23-10 09:21 AM
    If you look at the plugs side by side you will notice the one with the mic is longer. Regular headphones work because the tip in this case is either left or right speaker. The tip on the intermittent pair could be loose, or have a dark spot on it. You can clean it or polish it off. Or the small insulator separating the two could be worn. When dealing with these mini plug accessories there isn't much material so they aren't going to last forever. Especially with constant use. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents!

08-23-10 10:27 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD