I just bought this phone off of a guy i work with, it seems the headphone jack only puts out on 1 speaker, but it is in stereo. I've tried different sets of headphones and all the same, only sound outta the right speaker?

any suggestions would be helpful, im guessing its the phone or the internals of the jack..

06-29-09 08:59 PM
    Sounds like the jack would be te problem. I've had that happen with audio stuff before when the jack messed up or wasn't plugged in all the way.

The only other thing is that all the music was transfered on only the one channel.
    06-29-09 09:03 PM
    Didn't even think about that... How is that possible? I use the same usb cable to transfer mnusic onto my mp3 player. That seems to work fine

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-09 09:21 PM
    Had this happen in one of our cars and it turned out to be the cable and not the phone....before you toss the phone, try another set of headphones just to be sure. Good luck
    06-29-09 10:13 PM
    Also try slowly rotating the plug in the jack and gently pushing it in and pulling it out to see if the other side comes on even briefly. It's possible that the plug and jack are not making full contact/aren't lining up properly.
    06-30-09 06:46 AM
    see thats the thing, ive tried the same cable that i use to plug my mp3 player into my truck and that plays fine. Anything i plug into my phone only plays outta one speaker...

well a new phone purchase is on teh agenda, its seems like there is no fix?!

thanks for the quick responses.
    06-30-09 06:54 AM
    you know this morning i did try pulling it out really slow as music was playing and there is one point i can get it to where its almost not even plugged in that it plays out of all the speakers.

not sure if its possible to fix/modify the jack...
    06-30-09 06:57 AM
    Jack then. Not really easy to fix though.
    06-30-09 09:14 AM
    I was going to say pull it out slowly cause that has happened to me before on something just can't remember what. Its obviously the jack since u have tried many headphones. Try cleaning it out.

06-30-09 09:44 AM
    i tried cleaning it out, the guy i bought it from said he had no problem with it... So i tried blowing it out, still the same results. But i did noticed that if i barely push in the headphone jack it works in all the speakers but sounds muted.

Is it possible to repair the jack? does anyone know how, i know theres a tab right at the top, maybe try and bend it up more so that it makes better contact?

Any electrical/audio gurus are welcome to offer their suggestions.

thanks
    07-02-09 07:35 AM
    is there a special 3 channel adapter that i need? everyone ive talked to said they just plugged any set of headphones in and they worked perfectly.
    07-02-09 08:38 AM
    I use a regular 2 channel cord to plug mine into the stereo and it works fine. I have fixed them for my guitars, bigger jack but the same setup. The tab connects to the tip of the jack where it pinches at. You might need to bend it down so it makes a stronger contact. I don't know how u will be able to do it with phone not taken appart. Maybe with a really small screwdriver or something.

07-02-09 09:29 AM
    Ok, I just looked at my cord and it is a 3 channel cord, my bad lol. So, it might be just that you are using 2 chanel.

07-02-09 09:31 AM
    well it looks like im either going to take the phone apart or buy a new phone with a working headphone jack.

i knew paying $60 for this phone was too good to be true...
    07-02-09 12:31 PM
    Hi - I have the same problem as you do. Only in my case, I can confirm absolutely that it used to work with the exact setup I'm using. Then all of a sudden, only the right channel started working. I've tried pulling battery, etc. to do difference. I've confirmed that the same thing happens now no matter what cable I use or any device I plug into the headphones jack.

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm using an 8320.

Thanks.
    07-19-09 05:18 PM
    i made a bad mistake. had some ranch dressing from chicken fingers on the floor of my car. the y cord was dangling in it and i didnt know. after it dried i plugged it in, hoping some alcohol on a tooth pick or brush will clean it.....yikes
    11-18-09 05:12 PM
    I love crackberry, there are answers for everything! I use my storm 2 for everything music, all the time! My headphone jack has started with this same problem. Did anyone find a fix for this? The problem has gotten worse, to the point where I HAVE to use bluetooth. Before I take my phone apart - does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried the air, and cleaning w/ alcohol. I don't wanna be without my bberry for even a day!
    08-05-10 11:02 AM
    I dropped my Curve the other day. It was perfect for more than a year playing out of both ears on my earphones. Now it only likes to play music out of the left. After finicking with it, repeatedly putting in and pulling out (that's what she said) nothing changed, just sound out of the left ear.

If I ever pulled a set of headphones out of the jack it would automatically switch to speakerphone output for music. That doesn't happen anymore.

If I barely put it into the jack it will play both ears. That also works when I put it all the way in and pull on the jack towards the back (the battery side not the keyboard front). There's some kind of connection that's not so great :\

I saw on eBay a replacement jack for $2.99 so that could be a good fix but does anybody have any experience replacing the headphone jack? Is it easily done? I know the first thing I need is a T5 screwdriver to take out the screws. Maybe after opening it up I could just nudge the headphone jack I already have to better the connections?

I hope my experience is kind of helpful. (:
    09-15-10 01:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD