Hey all,

I am headed to Europe (UK & Holland) and want to use my TMO 8320 while there. That being said, I do not want to pay crazy rates to call the little lady while I am there or to use the Internet.

My assumption is that if I use the phone network (EDGE or otherwise) I will be charged big coin for roaming or international minutes.

My quesiton is, if I turn the phone off, but connect via an open WIFI signal, will I still pay? The Internet is the same everywhere, right? (I'm headed to Iraq this summer - would like to do the same there...)

Am I clueless? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    01-27-08 09:57 PM
    your best bet on this would be to call customer service and tell them you need to have your phone unlocked as you are going out of the country. they then should provide you with the unlock code.

Once you there just pick up a pre-paid sim card. Most of them are reasonably priced and some will let you have service books downloaded so you have internet access. That would be the cheapest route to go.

As far as using the wifi that i am unsure of as im att with the 8310.
    01-27-08 11:06 PM
    Using WiFi will not cost you anything (unless it is a pay access point). The only catch is that (from what I am told), some hotels and places in Europe are decently savvy and have blocked the ports that are needed for VOIP calling (UMA). That said you should be able to get some decent access and save a bit. Worked for me in Argentina. I will be in Mexico this coming month and Germany in April and hope to do the same. Good luck!
    01-27-08 11:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD