I bought the BB because Palm ate my calendar data a few weeks ago, and I thought it was time to unify my phone and calendar into one device. Having owned the Curve 8330 for 12 hours, I'm ready to trash it. The nice import feature on the BB desktop starts and runs, but stalls out after importing 2005 of 2137 calendar entries. Then the application basically quits. Nothing moved over. I read on other threads something about exporting Palm to Outlook, but Palm 4-1-4 only wants to export in a format that Outlook won't read. Can someone help me move my calendar? I don't give a rip about the contacts or memos or other stuff... I just want my calendar on the BB! Help!

Thanks!
    04-28-09 11:25 PM
    Upgrade the OS from the link above. There are several calender updates in the O�

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 11:32 PM
    Have you tried to export the Palm data as .csv file? That is how I converted from Palm to Outlook. Either that or try to switch your conduits to sync Palm with Outlook.
    04-29-09 07:23 AM
    Do you still have your palm device. If you do set palm to sync with outlook then you don't have to mess with palm desktop anymore. Once you get it to outlook you should not have a problem syncing bb.

Everything treo forum should have more info on getting data from palm to outlook.
    04-29-09 07:33 AM
    I'm really grateful for your help! But I am apparently both a newbie and a total moron.

Carolinaguy, I did not see a link in your post. Was that to update the BB software?

As for exporting to Outlook, that seems to be the most productive solution, judging from other threads. But I have no idea how to do what you're telling me to do. When I go to export on the Palm desktop, it only lets me export as a .dba file. I see no way to do anything else. And as for conduits... when I go to the hotsync desktop and click on "custom" I see where I can change the conduits (I think) but there's nothing at all about Outlook. And because I'm running the ##$(&*(% thing on Vista, it won't let me access Palm's help database.

Would any of you like to give me another boost here? I appreciate it!!
    Jim
    04-29-09 07:56 AM
    From what I was told when I switched it was difficult to get palm stuff to your blackberry.

The blackberry is a much much better phone than the treo. I had the centro and treo myself.

I miss the touch screen and the blackberry is hard to get used to at first but once you discover what all the blackberry can actually do, you will not go back.

I didn't bother trying to transfer anything from my palm over. I just re did it. I realize you might have a lot of stuff in your calandar and it might take a few hours to type it all back in but just do that.

Don't trash your phone yet. Trust me. When I first got it I was missing my treo but I didn't realize how powerful the blackberry curve is. It'll take you a few days to learn it all. Once you do you'll love it.

The gps is working out great. The e-mail works so much better than the palm. The web browsing is 10 times better. (also download opera mini if you want to look at pc websites and not mobile sites)

And last but not least the battery life is 10 times better. The first few days when you are messing with it all day it might not seem like it but it is. I've read some people complain about the battery life but my curve stays alive forever.

I use it constantly, emailing, web browsing, talking on the phone... And I only charge it once every 3 days.
    04-29-09 07:57 AM
    Thanks - I will hang on for another week! But answer me this... when I type in the calendar data, do I have to do this on the BB? What was great about Palm was that I could handle all of the larger tasks with the keyboard and computer. Does the BB desktop have that capability, or do I need to continue to exercise my fat fingers on the BB?
    04-29-09 08:01 AM
    Thanks - I will hang on for another week! But answer me this... when I type in the calendar data, do I have to do this on the BB? What was great about Palm was that I could handle all of the larger tasks with the keyboard and computer. Does the BB desktop have that capability, or do I need to continue to exercise my fat fingers on the BB?
    I'm not sure actually I think you have to do it on the phone. I only use desktop manager to backup my data incase I lose my phone. It backs up everything.

The keyboard on the blackberry is better when you get used to it. I can type almost as fast as I can on the computer with it.
    04-29-09 08:04 AM
    if you use outlook and sync then you can use your computer. however I do find it easier to just put it in my BB.
    04-29-09 08:06 AM
    Adjusting from a palm to a treo is a big step, and from what I have read a lot of people tend to get frustrated at first.

I suggest you check out the BlackBerry 101 Lecture series, and take the time to get to know your device. You have 30 days to decide whether or not you like it, and want to make the switch permanent.
    04-29-09 08:09 AM
    Seems like you would be able to type all of your calender data into outlook then sync it with your bb, right? Sounds like your main issue is getting the data from your palm to outlook. But if you type it into outlook, then you should be able to just sync it with your bb.

I switched from a treo 700 to my curve 8330 about 5 days ago. I didn't have any issues adjusting other than the text msg "chat" style interface on the palm is much better. Other than that, I dont really use the calender, but I absolutely LOVE my curve!
    Last edited by ezflip; 04-29-09 at 08:15 AM.
    04-29-09 08:12 AM
    As I posted in a few threads, I may be getting a curve, and soon.

I will also be coming for a Palm - Palm Treo 650. I currently use outlook or everything.

If i am understanding this thread correctly - I shouldn't have any isssues with the switch??

Hey maybe someone here knows the answer to my question. Since I would rather not hijack this thread if you could post in the thread that I have started called: "may be getting a curve 8330", I would be very grateful.

Thanks.
    04-29-09 09:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD