Got a new 8330 because my trackball completely stopped working yesterday, and I'm doing the first charge. The problem is, I was also setting up Sprint TV at the same time, and it started acting weird, then froze, then the screen went black (but not like an 'it turned off' black... more like just a blank screen but it was definitely on), so I had to pull the battery out and unplug it from the wall charger when it was <50% charged. Is that going to screw up the battery forever?

P.S. Also, when I put the battery back it, it started to do its boot up thing, then when it got to the homescreen, it reset ITSELF again.... What's up with that? I hadn't even touched it and then all of a sudden it did that whole "turn off, red LED, turn on, hourglass on an all white screen for 5 minutes" thing.
    01-27-09 01:45 AM
    Strictly speaking on the battery charging:

The battery is Li-ion so there is no memory effect, you can't hurt it by unplugging it mid-charge.

The other stuff sounds a little weird.
    01-27-09 01:51 AM
    Good old blackberry batts. Can't kill them with a stick. LOL
    01-27-09 01:53 AM
    Strictly speaking on the battery charging:

The battery is Li-ion so there is no memory effect, you can't hurt it by unplugging it mid-charge.

The other stuff sounds a little weird.

WHAT?!!?!?!? NO!!!!!!!!!!! This is my FIFTH one!
    01-27-09 01:53 AM
    Keep your fingers crossed... it just may have been a little hiccup.

I'll pray for you, you have had the worst luck with phones lately.
    01-27-09 01:57 AM
    Keep your fingers crossed... it just may have been a little hiccup.

I'll pray for you, you have had the worst luck with phones lately.
    Thanks. Honestly, as much as I hate to say it, if this one doesn't work, that'll be it. I can't do it again.... I sold my old phone though, so I'll be really out of luck.
    01-27-09 02:00 AM
    Cara, please don't give up yet...

On a lighter note, I read this post in your Poll thread and thought of you:

exchanged. threw one at a vzw manager. so I am on my 4th bb storm.
    Just substitute Curve for Storm and Sprint/Nextel manager for vzw, and 5th for 4th.
    01-27-09 02:11 AM
    Trust me. You want to stay with BB I admit it might b fustraiting. But going back to anything else. Wud jus do harm to urself!!! Don't give up call them up anf tell them or drop by and let them have a piece of ur mind.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-09 02:18 AM
    Don't give up! It's rough for the first amount of times. But you'll get used to it, don't worry. keep trying! If you need more help we are always here to help.
    01-27-09 02:40 AM
    Thanks guys... I just can't even describe how horrifying it is to have to keep exchanging them. I have NEVER had to exchange a phone even once before in my life!!! It's like, by the time I get my contacts, settings, preferences, etc. in order and I have all the Sprint apps installed, things have gone so awry that Tech Support themselves tell me that it is beyond repair and that I need to get a new one. If they all had something PHYSICALLY wrong with them (e.g. like the one with the cracked screen and the one whose trackball mechanism wouldn't roll), then I understand that, and I can deal with it right off the bat. But when they have these malfunctions with the habitual resets BY THEMSELVES, giving me error messages when I try to click on pictures, close an app, turn the thing off, etc., it makes me feel like even if I DO rectify it, who knows when it'll start happening again! And at that point, I'll have all my data and everything on it!

I don't know if I should be mad at Sprint or RIM or whatever factory is employing people that aren't skilled in assembling these things! Sprint gets the majority of my wrath, but I feel bad yelling at the apologetic salespeople. In the same token, I feel bad for myself that I have to deal with this. I've been without a consistent phone for weeks now, which is SERIOUSLY detrimental to my productivity.

Sorry for the rant. I'm going to go try it out now, and if it doesn't work properly, I am going to call Sprint and yell at them.

P.S. Is it normal that every time I turn it on, a black Sprint screen comes up (normal), then it goes to the homescreen with the wallpaper/icons (normal), and then it flashes back to the black Sprint screen for a second (??), THEN goes back to the regular homescreen (??), and finally does the "Verifying Security Software" thing?
    01-27-09 02:57 AM
    just keep it up, don't worry.

also, I wouldn't know about Sprint phones and its whole booting process. But I know that with my phone, it shows the AT&T logo, then goes to main screen then does the Security thing. I'm not sure, maybe a Sprint Curve user can chime in.
    01-27-09 03:13 AM
    Thanks guys... I just can't even describe how horrifying it is to have to keep exchanging them. I have NEVER had to exchange a phone even once before in my life!!! It's like, by the time I get my contacts, settings, preferences, etc. in order and I have all the Sprint apps installed, things have gone so awry that Tech Support themselves tell me that it is beyond repair and that I need to get a new one. If they all had something PHYSICALLY wrong with them (e.g. like the one with the cracked screen and the one whose trackball mechanism wouldn't roll), then I understand that, and I can deal with it right off the bat. But when they have these malfunctions with the habitual resets BY THEMSELVES, giving me error messages when I try to click on pictures, close an app, turn the thing off, etc., it makes me feel like even if I DO rectify it, who knows when it'll start happening again! And at that point, I'll have all my data and everything on it!

I don't know if I should be mad at Sprint or RIM or whatever factory is employing people that aren't skilled in assembling these things! Sprint gets the majority of my wrath, but I feel bad yelling at the apologetic salespeople. In the same token, I feel bad for myself that I have to deal with this. I've been without a consistent phone for weeks now, which is SERIOUSLY detrimental to my productivity.

Sorry for the rant. I'm going to go try it out now, and if it doesn't work properly, I am going to call Sprint and yell at them.

P.S. Is it normal that every time I turn it on, a black Sprint screen comes up (normal), then it goes to the homescreen with the wallpaper/icons (normal), and then it flashes back to the black Sprint screen for a second (??), THEN goes back to the regular homescreen (??), and finally does the "Verifying Security Software" thing?
    It sound like maybe you are installing an APP that is not compatible with your version of blackberry. May i suggest that you get a new phone, load all your contacts, set your preferences and then use it for two to three days to see if it locks up/fails. Then load one APP and test that for a few day then load another APP and keep this up until something causes it to fail. then you may know what is causing the problem.

I know i loaded an APP that was supposed to work on a 8330 on Verizon with OS 4.2.2 or above and it really screwed up my phone. Once the APP was removed and the OS reset everything is back to normal. I then later found out that the APP only worked on the 88** series and not the 83** series as claimed.

Good luck to you and keep on trying. I love mine now that i have it all set up properly with APPS that are actually designed for the phone.
    01-27-09 08:16 AM
    It sound like maybe you are installing an APP that is not compatible with your version of blackberry. May i suggest that you get a new phone, load all your contacts, set your preferences and then use it for two to three days to see if it locks up/fails. Then load one APP and test that for a few day then load another APP and keep this up until something causes it to fail. then you may know what is causing the problem.

I know i loaded an APP that was supposed to work on a 8330 on Verizon with OS 4.2.2 or above and it really screwed up my phone. Once the APP was removed and the OS reset everything is back to normal. I then later found out that the APP only worked on the 88** series and not the 83** series as claimed.

Good luck to you and keep on trying. I love mine now that i have it all set up properly with APPS that are actually designed for the phone.
    That is a VERY good idea! Thank you! I'm going to call tech support this morning and if they think that I need a new one I'll have them make a note in the account and I'll have the order people send me out a new one.

All of the apps were already ON the phone though (SprintTV, PocketExpress, etc.) so wouldn't it be weird if they were incompatible?

It seems to be acting alright for right now (*knock on wood!*), but do you guys think it'll start doing this in the future so I should get yet another one regardless?
    01-27-09 01:03 PM
    Okay, well I thought I'd update and get everyone's opinion on what the tech support person said:

He said that the reason why it was continually rebooting was because it couldn't find the right configuration to boot up in (or something to that effect). He then said that the same thing that caused it to freeze was what caused it to reboot continuously for like 20 minutes.

He then said that it was a software problem that has hopefully resolved itself, but that at most, we'd have to do a handheld wipe. He said that it was NOT a problem with the device itself.

Does that make any sense or was he just trying to prevent them from shipping me yet another phone?

THANK YOU!!!!
    01-27-09 02:53 PM
    It makes sense that it is a software conflict. Try installing only one app at a time & see how your device acts with it. After a day or so, try another one. If you come across a problem, stop & realize it may be that software or at least an issue within the install process. Remove it, check the version to make certain it is compatible with your device, then reinstall.

And above all, put the 10-pound sledge hammer away. Save that as a tool to fix your friends' WinMo phones. It is overkill on a Berry.

01-27-09 03:41 PM
    And above all, put the 10-pound sledge hammer away. Save that as a tool to fix your friends' WinMo phones. It is overkill on a Berry.

I never had to use a sledge hammer on my Windows Mobile phone, I find nothing wrong with them and I have had three.
    01-27-09 03:45 PM
    I never had to use a sledge hammer on my Windows Mobile phone, I find nothing wrong with them and I have had three.
    It was an attempt at humor on a BlackBerry-centric site where few WinMo fans live.

01-27-09 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD