I have scene the capabilities of a hacked Iphone and they are amazing.... can you hack a curve (or any blackberry) like this? and is it any good?

thanks
    07-21-08 10:55 AM
    No. BlackBerries are meant for security.

You can do some minor mods and optimization, but no full-bore hacks!
    07-21-08 10:56 AM
    I have scene the capabilities of a hacked Iphone and they are amazing.... can you hack a curve (or any blackberry) like this? and is it any good?

thanks

What are the capabilities of any hacked phone and why would someone want to hack a phone?
    07-21-08 11:23 AM
    What are the capabilities of any hacked phone and why would someone want to hack a phone?
    Basically cheap b astards looking to avoid paying for what
    the rest of us willingly do.

And no I am not buying the "performance tweaking" argument
    07-21-08 11:26 AM
    Lets not get into talking about hacking Curves. Not a good topic to get going on CB.
    07-21-08 11:54 AM
    Basically cheap b astards looking to avoid paying for what
    the rest of us willingly do.

And no I am not buying the "performance tweaking" argument
    That is a tad harsh. I can say, coming from someone that has "hacked" quite a few phones in my day, mostly for fun, to see what all you can get out of your phone. Another reason is cause as we all know some providers seem to feel the need to lock out certain features that the manufacturers provided with the phone just so they can charge you to use said features.

Personally I just like the challenge, especially if it's something that is supposed to be no able to be done.
    07-21-08 11:55 AM
    Lets not get into talking about hacking Curves. Not a good topic to get going on CB.
    Yeah, Thats almost like telling on your friends or yourself for that matter.
    07-21-08 11:56 AM

Personally I just like the challenge, especially if it's something that is supposed to be no able to be done.
    Well, enjoy this challenge then... Because basically, you cannot hack a Blackberry. Let's not even get started on this......................................
    07-21-08 11:56 AM
    No. BlackBerries are meant for security.

You can do some minor mods and optimization, but no full-bore hacks!
    bmc,
    I just wiped my 8820 and with it being encrypted it took an hour and 15 minutes to reboot itself, talk about security.
    07-21-08 11:57 AM
    No disrespect, but this thread is pointless.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-08 12:00 PM
    Many phones are heavily locked down by some carriers *COUGH*Verizon*COUGH*. Hacking them or installing custom firmware/OSs can free up the phones to do what you paid for them to do. It's not always about getting something for free, but getting what you pay for.

But yes, a lot of times, it's about getting something for free.

One of my prime motivators in getting a BlackBerry was that I wanted more control over my device. I can make it look the way I want, get rid of almost everything I want, and update my OS without sending it in to RIM or paying exhorbitant fees to dubious phone flashers. My BlackBerry does most of what I want it to out of the box, so I don't see a huge need to hack them.
    07-21-08 12:03 PM
    Ahhh.....I'm all for a bargain.....but in this case No Thanks!
    07-21-08 12:07 PM
    Basically, I paid for it, I can do what I want to it.

07-22-08 12:46 AM
    Knock yourself out..........waste your time and money........

besides, IPHONES are hot garbage...........comparing an IPHONE to a Berry is like comparing Roseanne Barr to Jenna Jameson

'nuff said
    07-22-08 02:30 AM
    Basically, I paid for it, I can do what I want to it.

Pssst, there are agreements and laws governing the proprietary software, hardware and patents that you could be violating by pretending you know better than the carriers and/or RIM..........So jump in.........try and beat RIM and your carrier...........and hopefully without your knowledge...you will end up on the wrong end of the companies and federal agencies......so be the tuff guy....TRY and hack it up..........and get ready for MAN LOVE when your new cellmate punks you out...........

And yes.......people who try and publicly boast are the ones that get popped......and the Fed's conviction rate on indictments runs about 98%....
    07-22-08 02:38 AM
    Pssst, there are agreements and laws governing the proprietary software, hardware and patents that you could be violating by pretending you know better than the carriers and/or RIM..........So jump in.........try and beat RIM and your carrier...........and hopefully without your knowledge...you will end up on the wrong end of the companies and federal agencies......so be the tuff guy....TRY and hack it up..........and get ready for MAN LOVE when your new cellmate punks you out...........

And yes.......people who try and publicly boast are the ones that get popped......and the Fed's conviction rate on indictments runs about 98%....
    Agreements haven't stopped people from hacking the iPhone, WinMo phones or any of the other technology that is being hacked shortly after release; the original Xbox, Xbox 360. The feds have to find you to indict you and I doubt they are trolling the Crackberry.com forums In search of people trying to bust down the barriers on their Blackberry.
    07-22-08 01:29 PM
    That is a tad harsh. I can say, coming from someone that has "hacked" quite a few phones in my day, mostly for fun, to see what all you can get out of your phone. Another reason is cause as we all know some providers seem to feel the need to lock out certain features that the manufacturers provided with the phone just so they can charge you to use said features.

I agree with this. I came from a Motorola site before and I hacked my Razr. I mentioned this in one of the other threads about this same topic, but it can be nice seeing/finding features the carrier doesn't want you to have. I'm sure there's some things the Verizon Curve owners want that the T-Mobile or AT&T owners have. Its a matter of preference. If your willing to take the jump and put a Beta OS on your phone I think your willing to do anything to get a feature the guy next to you doesn't have.

And to comment on the above post, I'm sure most of us already know this but, they actually use keywords, say "Fed" is one of them, what they do is watch every move and if they feel its worth the time and they feel like its really threatening national secuirty or breaking laws, then you better believe there coming after you lol. Sad to say, Big Brother is Always Watching.

07-22-08 01:43 PM
    This thread really brought out the idi0ts today. I do not care if you rather not talk about this or think it is wrong, you can stop reading the post. If I decide to alter a device I paid for, the Federal Government will not do anything to me and RIM/my carrier cannot do anything to me.

You people are giving e stomach cramps from laughing so hard at your armchair lawyer attempts. Leave the law to the real lawyers and government officials, we do not act like we know how to do your useless job.

As far as "hacking" a Blackberry, I think it would be a really exciting challenge to see what can be done with these devices. I have seen some really interesting things done with less.

Agreements haven't stopped people from hacking the iPhone, WinMo phones or any of the other technology that is being hacked shortly after release; the original Xbox, Xbox 360. The feds have to find you to indict you and I doubt they are trolling the Crackberry.com forums In search of people trying to bust down the barriers on their Blackberry.
    They only do that in these people's TV reality.
    Last edited by Montezuma; 07-22-08 at 02:00 PM.
    07-22-08 01:56 PM
    And to comment on the above post, I'm sure most of us already know this but, they actually use keywords, say "Fed" is one of them, what they do is watch every move and if they feel its worth the time and they feel like its really threatening national secuirty or breaking laws, then you better believe there coming after you lol. Sad to say, Big Brother is Always Watching.
    Doubt it. The only one that would even possibly bring legal action against someone would be RIM themselves. The thing is, once something is released into the wild who knows how many people have downloaded it? The internet has millions upon millions of users. You can't possibly take legal action against every person. (Unless you're the RIAA, ha) The FBI have way bigger fish to fry, Blackberries aren't a threat to national security.
    Last edited by zsig; 07-22-08 at 02:13 PM.
    07-22-08 02:00 PM
    Never gamble what you can't afford to lose!!! Saving a few bucks vs. prosecution is a bad risk. Somehow I think that if I compromise my phone, what do I create as an opportunity for someone else to compromise it as well. Iphones may be slick, hip and cool; but considering what they can do also brings on what can happen with identity theft or other nasties. I'm not all that savy to the possibilities. When I got my BB8330, I took a list to the Verizon store and told them this was what I wanted to do and asked what would do it best... badabing... now I'm here!!! My only complaint is the calendar setup, but I'm sure I can get that resolved with a program... when I find one that will do what I want.
    07-22-08 02:01 PM
    The only "hacking" that I would see possible is maybe activating the GPS on Verizon instead of having to pay for their own GPS service.

07-22-08 02:03 PM
    Its funny because they say you can't hack a blackberry? or its nearly impossible?

I was watching the news sometimes back and I heard of a US Senator (or somebody big) in Asia somewhere, and his BB was hacked. So its not impossible, its just a matter of who's willing to give it a shot.
    07-22-08 02:34 PM
    My carrier doesn't lock out any of the features, but I feel for the people on Verizon. If someone was able to break their lock on the GPS it would go unnoticed, because it would just be viewed as regular data usage. Granted, you would probably have to lock it back up if you had to take the phone in for anything. But still, even if they did notice something, you don't have a 98% chance of the Feds showing up at your door (or any other statistic that was randomly pulled out of someone's ***). The worst thing that could possibly happen would be a cancellation of service.
    Last edited by zsig; 07-22-08 at 03:44 PM.
    07-22-08 03:41 PM
    I can see people who criticize on the hacker who try to hack into curve for something, because their living don't understand what the hack meaning to their life. How cool! if hacker did hacked bold's os into curve. People will gasp big time. People will come back here and ask the hacker, saying " how can you do that?" "I want one & Can you teach me how to do that" on and on..

If you tried to hack into Curve for something. I think you are so cool and do it. post us eventually.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by VIDGMER; 07-22-08 at 04:35 PM.
    07-22-08 04:28 PM
    Other thread has good explain: Modify Plazmic ThemeBuilder 4.5 to Export Custom Themes in OS 4.2.2 . someone who hacked 4.5 into Plazmic builder 4.2., Many people come their thread to ask hacker, saying "how can you do something like that?" & "Can you teach or reveal me what's his/her secret how to modify code of 4.5 files or something into Plazmic builder 4.2."

Then don't criticize the hacker who try to hack something into curve what the something you may miss.
    Last edited by VIDGMER; 07-22-08 at 06:09 PM.
    07-22-08 06:06 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD