Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default GPS Software: What Are You Using (Verizon)?

For some reason I was under the assumption that GPS software was built into the Curve 8330. I've read here on the forums the many rants about Verizon spending millions to "lock out" users in order for them to use the Verizon software. With that said, what are you (Verizon) owners using for GPS?
    Super Bad

Global Posts
    11,937 Global Posts

For the record. Verizon disables the built-in GPS in it's devices unless you subscribe to their Navigator service.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Verizon specifically told me that I could use 3rd-party software (not trying to argue, just relaying what they said)
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    t of Beer please!

I use google maps for "close enough to GPS" not paying vzw for service that should be free
    CrackBerry User

I also use google maps. About 95% of the time it is able to pinpoint exactly where I'm at. I also refuse to pay for VZ Nav, especially since I'm not driving a lot at the moment. Maybe they will unlock it one day...
    "Our actions make or mar us, we are the children of our own deeds."
    CrackBerry User

I use bbmaps with a freedom keychain. I also have google maps downloaded... but not enough towers to be accurate enough.

Jen
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    pm me

I use bbmaps, google maps, and from time to time I look up mapquest just cause I can!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exfileme View Post
    Verizon specifically told me that I could use 3rd-party software (not trying to argue, just relaying what they said)
    There was a person on the forum a couple of days ago that claimed to be able to start VZNav, leave it running the background, and run other GPS programs. He was a VZNav subscriber. He's the only person I've read who said that. His statements were vigorously disputed by another member. The conventional wisdom in the forums is that Verizon does not allow you to use 3rd party apps, even if you subscribe to VZNav.

I use a Freedom Keychain 2000 with BBMaps, Google Maps, and CoPilot. I have also used GPSed and Nav4All.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    1,672 Global Posts

VZNav is well worth the 10 bills. Great nav system just got it a month ago and it gives me huge short cuts around L.A. Nothing better than short routes around los angeles

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    HEAD

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    There was a person on the forum a couple of days ago that claimed to be able to start VZNav, leave it running the background, and run other GPS programs. He was a VZNav subscriber. He's the only person I've read who said that. His statements were vigorously disputed by another member. The conventional wisdom in the forums is that Verizon does not allow you to use 3rd party apps, even if you subscribe to VZNav. That brings me to my second point. I use Google Maps on my Berry, and I do not subscribe to Verizon's Nav services. Works just fine for me.

I use a Freedom Keychain 2000 with BBMaps, Google Maps, and CoPilot. I have also used GPSed and Nav4All.

That is ridiculous. If this person really left VZNav running in the background of his Berry, then ran other GPS programs on top of that, his battery would die so quickly he wouldn't know what to do. Impossible. I accidentally left Google Maps running one day and my battery was dead within a matter of hours. Anyways...
    ... and stuff!
    CrackBerry User

To use the Curve's built-in GPS functionality, you are tied down to using VZ Navigator -- Verizon's own software -- and paying $10/mo. for the privilege. If you want to pursue your own options, you must buy an external GPS unit and then you have the option to use any software you wish.

Remember, if you want BUILT-IN GPS, you must pay Verizon an extra $10/mo. and you must use their software.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    HEAD

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyBerry View Post
    To use the Curve's built-in GPS functionality, you are tied down to using VZ Navigator -- Verizon's own software -- and paying $10/mo. for the privilege. If you want to pursue your own options, you must buy an external GPS unit and then you have the option to use any software you wish.

Remember, if you want BUILT-IN GPS, you must pay Verizon an extra $10/mo. and you must use their software.
    Then why does Google Maps function perfectly on my phone?? My location is correct, the directions, roads, etc. are dead on.
    ... and stuff!
    CrackBerry Genius

I use BB maps with the keychain GPS 2000, just like you JENNIFER2277.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    PIN
    G pong is an Olympic sport?

Quote Originally Posted by jenaywins View Post
    Then why does Google Maps function perfectly on my phone?? My location is correct, the directions, roads, etc. are dead on.
    I think you're lucky enough to have sufficient cell towers in your area to triangulate your location accurately. It's not using GPS, to my knowledge.
    "You're Abe Frohman? The 'sausage king' of Chicago?"
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask me

I downloaded VZNav to try it but I guess you need call and have it activated?? However I can use the GPS puck that I use for my PDA and select it in the GPS options and VZNav works fine with it - actually a pretty good program for as simple as it is. If I try to use the internal GPS, it returns an error saying it can't get a signal and to restart VZNav. How's that for sticking it to the man!

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jenaywins View Post
    Cell phone tower triangulation. It's not GPS. I'm guessing you live in a highly populated area?

Edit* I see you live near Phoenix, so that would probably explain why there are enough towers in your area to pinpoint your location.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

im using telenav and freedom keychain. i know it kinda seems backwards but i wasn't happy with vznav 2. suck
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    PIN
    31A6C48B

I haven't tried with my curve, but I tried with my 8830 a few weeks ago, and I left VZNAV running and I still couldn't use any other programs with my gps, from what they said in the thread, it wasn't possible, so I believe whoever said that, had to be pulling your chain.

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    t of Beer please!

Can some one explain in a little more detail how "keychain" works with various mapping software...which is best.

I've used bb maps and Google...I prefer google due to the ohone and address information, saving of favorites...etc.
    But, have never had the luxury of actual turn-by-turn or GPS functionality.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

The Freedom Keychain 2000 is an external GPS receiver that transmits the GPS data strings to the blackberry via a bluetooth connection. You pair it with your blackberry and set your GPS source to the keychain. Depending on the software you are using, you may need to tell it to use the keychain, or it may detect it automatically from the blackberry settings.

Which software package is best depends on your use. Many of them are free or have free trials, so it's best just to download them and try them. You can look in the GPS & Mapping forum for reviews and user comments. I've used Google Maps, BBMaps, Nav4All, CoPilot, amAze, and GPSed. They all have strengths and weaknesses, and they all work well with the Freedom Keychain 2000.
    CrackBerry Addict

excuse my ignorance but is BBMaps something you hafta download? My curve 8330 doesnt seem to have that feature, but it did come standard with google maps and I hafta say, just like Jennaywins, my google maps pinpoints my exact location with no problem. I live in Long Island NY so Im guessing I have a ton of towers around here to pickup the signal
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 05RavenR6 View Post
    ...is BBMaps something you hafta download? My curve 8330 doesnt seem to have that feature, ...
    I can't see your device via wap, but BBMaps is not installed by default on AT&T devices. As far as I know, that's the only carrier that doesn't load it. You can download and install it if you delete your vendor.xml file. John Clark's memory optimization thread describes the process in detail.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    PIN
    occhio

I use vznav and I think its worth $10 a month. Its come in handy more times than I can explain.

Once you have it you'll understand, plus they are coming out with version 4 which will have traffic and has info.

Should be free though.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    I use vznav and I think its worth $10 a month....Should be free though.

I have no problem with Verizon charging whatever the market will pay for the product of their intellectual labor and development, VZNav. What should be free is the use of the GPS technology by other software.

CrackBerry Addict

JeffH, I am also on Verizon...I guess I hafta delete the vendor.xml file in order for it to work. Honestly, its not a feature that I use much to begin with, but it would be something I wouldnt mind having.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast