I've got an AT&T 8310 with enterprise data plan and running OS v4.5. If I go into Settings\Options\Advanced\GPS, I don't have any coordinates...everything just has zero's.

GPS Data Source: Device GPS
    GPS Services: Location ON
    Location Aiding: Enabled

Every GPS application (such as google maps) doesn't use the GPS either. I kind of have the feeling that a firewall rule or something blocked use of the GPS...I seem to recall getting a message and I might have accidentally hit deny or something. Where could I check this?

What could be the problem?

Thanks!
    07-24-08 02:06 PM
    When in the GPS options do you have an option to refresh GPS? It will search for satellite and then you should see coordinates

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-08 02:09 PM
    Yes, I do have that option. When I select it, the location information changes to "Scanning for Satellites...". It stays on this message for about 5 minutes, then goes back to all zero'd data.
    Last edited by phgarman; 07-24-08 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Data changed
    07-24-08 02:13 PM
    What app are you using that's showing the zeros?

07-24-08 02:37 PM
    I'm not using an application. I'm in Settings\Options\Advanced\GPS:

Latitude\Logitude\Fix Time\Number of Satellites\Accuracy all are zero or none.
    07-24-08 02:41 PM
    This might be a stupid question, but are you outside?
    07-24-08 02:49 PM
    I'm not using an application. I'm in Settings\Options\Advanced\GPS:

Latitude\Logitude\Fix Time\Number of Satellites\Accuracy all are zero or none.
    Ok. Must be a new feature in OS 4.5. To answer your permissions question, look in Options/Advanced Options/Applications and find the module that corresponds to your GPS. In my case, I find the app I'm running. Since you aren't running one, I don't know exactly what to tell you to look for, but when you find it, select it and press Menu and you can edit the permissions. Try setting any that are at "deny" to "prompt" or "allow."

07-24-08 02:56 PM
    Yep, I'm in the wonderfully flat and treeless Texas. This has been going on since I got it about 4 days ago...and I've been all over the place inside and out.
    07-24-08 02:58 PM
    Ok. Must be a new feature in OS 4.5. To answer your permissions question, look in Options/Advanced Options/Applications and find the module that corresponds to your GPS. In my case, I find the app I'm running. Since you aren't running one, I don't know exactly what to tell you to look for, but when you find it, select it and press Menu and you can edit the permissions. Try setting any that are at "deny" to "prompt" or "allow."

I set all the permissions to "allow" for all applications, the os, etc. I was searching around and found this post listing the "default" values...however, I can't seem to find where this list of security settings is in v4.5:

Here are the default permissions in v4.2
    options > advanced > applications > edit default permissions
    Connects Custom
    USB Allow
    Bluetooth Allow
    Phone Prompt
    Location (GPS) Prompt
    Company Network Prompt
    Carrier Internet Prompt

Interactions Custom
    Interprocess Allow
    Device Settings Modification Allow
    Media Access Allow
    Module Management Allow
    Theme Data Injection Allow
    Keystroke Injection Deny
    Browser Filtering Deny
    Screen Capturing Prompt
    Security Timer Reset Deny

User Data Allow
    Email/Messaging Allow
    PIM Allow
    Files Allow
    Key Store Allow
    Key Store Medium Security Allow
    I'm thinking it must be one of these security settings...if I can find them
    07-24-08 03:02 PM
    If you're right, you're beyond my help. I have a Verizon 8830 running 4.2.2.176, so I can't replicate your setup and don't have a working internal GPS. When you solve it, be sure to post the solution for the next guys.

07-24-08 03:13 PM
    Strange..

Which 4.5 OS do you have loaded? I can say that with 4.5.0.52 my GPS works better than with any of the previous versions. Prior to .52 the refresh option almost always failed to find any satellites, but Telenav worked. With .52, refresh picks up satellites very quick, usually in 10 - 15 seconds.
    07-24-08 03:17 PM
    i had this problem and had the phone swapped out. problem was resolved
    not saying that is the only course of action. just what worked for me
    07-24-08 03:40 PM
    Strange..

Which 4.5 OS do you have loaded? I can say that with 4.5.0.52 my GPS works better than with any of the previous versions. Prior to .52 the refresh option almost always failed to find any satellites, but Telenav worked. With .52, refresh picks up satellites very quick, usually in 10 - 15 seconds.
    The latest..8310 4.5.0.52 rel75 TIM ITALY.

I'm pretty sure mine works great too, but I believe it's a security setting that isn't in the same place with v4.5. I believe I might have denyed the initial GPS firewall prompt. *sigh*
    07-24-08 03:41 PM
    I think I'd be tempted to wipe it, just to go through the permission prompts again..
    07-24-08 03:51 PM
    I think I'd be tempted to wipe it, just to go through the permission prompts again..
    I think that's what I'll end up doing.

Does the BES enterprise activation get reset when you wipe? Or does the backup\restore save and properly restore that? The BES admins at my work are sooo slow with getting that setup.
    07-24-08 04:03 PM
    You'll have to reactivate your BES after the wipe. Sorry. Been there, done that.

07-24-08 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD