Have my data plan with Orange - started yesterday. For about an hour today, the GPRS letters went to gprs but I still received a couple of emails and I could still connect to the web.
    Would this still come off my data package total or some other one? I thought that emails etc could not come through when the GPRS signal was lowercase?
    Thanks, asked Orange - they did not really know.
    Doug
    07-30-08 01:11 PM
    i believe lowercase means that u have a limited data plan....so u can still browse and receive emails...but if u go over a limit then u will be charged....so be really careful...
    07-30-08 01:22 PM
    I have a 250Mb limit so not worried on that score. Just wanted to know that whatever the case - upper or lower, it comes off my data plan.
    Last edited by dougproctor; 07-30-08 at 04:52 PM. Reason: change of info
    07-30-08 01:40 PM
    Can anybody else confirm this please? This wasn't what I was told. I thought GPRS was data, gprs wasn't.
    07-30-08 04:54 PM
    upper case GPRS means your device is connected and logged on to the GPRS network.

lower case gprs means it does not see the GPRS network, and your device is not logged on to the GRPS network, this could be caused by week or no signal from the GPRS network or there is some type of outage on the GPRS network.

Usually its week or no signal
    07-30-08 05:37 PM
    That's what I thought! So, the question is, how can I still get an email or use the internet with a small gprs indication on the screen?
    I am sort of getting half an answer!!
    07-31-08 02:19 AM
    Really weird issue you have, I have 2 Berry's (im addicted ) one running BES and one on BIS, if either of them are on lower case 3G or GPRS nothing works. No data at all. Try a battery pull and check if the problem arises.
    07-31-08 02:35 AM
    Your package covers the cost of gprs, GPRS, edge and EDGE so no worries on that score

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-08 03:24 AM
    Thanks for that. A complete answer! To the rescue again...... much appreciated.
    Doug
    07-31-08 03:51 AM
    No problem.

BIS usually needs GPRS/EDGE to work.

Internet access via gprs/edge would most likely be orangeworld.

07-31-08 04:13 AM
    I do not have any additional package. If I had not got a BIS data package, I could have a bolt on package of 6Mb for use with Orangeworld for the same price.
    All I wanted to know was that if the signal dropped to gprs, I would not be charged by the Mb which is what happens if you have no normal data package and you connect to the internet i.e. two levels gprs and GPRS
    Last edited by dougproctor; 07-31-08 at 05:32 AM. Reason: edited info
    07-31-08 05:16 AM
    I understand. Your BIS package covers both BIS and orangeworld data.

If you had an orangeworld data package only then BIS would not work.

07-31-08 05:32 AM
    The battery pull did work but a user still has issues sending mail.

do I have to re-active this BES user?
    09-24-08 04:36 AM
    15 days later and i'm still having problems shifting lower case gprs to capital GPRS, even though i have a data plan in place. Orange have advised that everything appears to be perfect from there end after chatting to so many advisors and 2nd level tech support. Have tried to delete the data bundle and re-apply it as well as sending sim updates, not to mention using a different sim. Even RIM have gotten back with no findings as to what the problem is.

Could this be a device error ? I wonder as normally error messages normally pop up if this was the case and nothing has come to light.

The issue has now gone back to RIM to further investigate the problem i am encountering. Orange have exhausted all issues and i am pleased with there dedication in resolving this problem.

Has anyone heard of this issue as Orange senior tech support have never come across this before.

Any help would be appreciated
    11-17-09 11:27 AM
    I have the blackberry storm and has unlocked it for att. i have loaded service books and everything but can not get a gprs signal. can anyoe help with this?
    03-02-10 01:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD