I've been a crack-head for about 2 weeks now, and really PISSED that T-Mobile told me I had GPS on the 8320 Curve. I do have it, but only part of it. One of the reasons I got this phone was so that if God forbid something happened to me, I can be tracked down via my phone. This is after out in Seattle where I lived, a woman was trapped in her crashed car for 8 days upside down when her car flipped off the road. Her cellphone company pinged her long-dead phone and got within 5 miles of her whereabouts, and were able to find her!

So when I decided to get rid of the DASH, I wanted a phone with this GPS feature, I had no idea I'd have to go buy some puck transmitter thing.

So I downloaded Google Maps, and it has pinpointed my location pretty darn close! I am impressed with the satellite and directions features. I love this program!

I have GPS in my car, but I had really wanted it on my phone too

Very impressive!
    06-14-08 01:23 PM
    I use GM all the time. Its a great app!
    06-14-08 01:26 PM
    Google Maps is pretty impressive.

Press:
    1 to zoom out,
    3 to zoom in
    2 to switch twixt road map and trees
    0 to get your location.

With no external GPS receiver you will get 1700 metres best resolution but if you buy a Freedom Keychain GPS receiver from right here on Crackberry or elsewhere then you can get down to 3 metres but mostly only outside.

There is also a little application here http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/app...79/index2.html written by Paul Haenel that continuously displays your GPS co-ords, speed in miles, Km and knots, heading and height in feet and metres. You can also Copy the screen data and paste it into an email. So if you really get lost.... It's free too.
    Last edited by Pete6; 06-14-08 at 01:34 PM.
    06-14-08 01:28 PM
    Friend of mine told me about this program...it's awesome!
    06-14-08 01:39 PM
    Have you tried other free apps... CoPilot Live and Nav4All both have turn by turn.

CoPilot has a 6 month trial period and Nav4All is free.
    06-14-08 01:44 PM
    8320 = wifi
    8310 = gps

if within the 30 days.... and you really want gps on your phone..... return it and get the 8130.
    06-14-08 02:49 PM
    Google maps is great....I use the Show Traffic feature every day to play my route to/from work.
    06-14-08 02:57 PM
    You guys gotta try this one. http://m.tellme.com/dist/1.69.5/TmBl...top-1.69.5.jad

I think it is a really good app for being free. Give it a shot.
    06-14-08 03:17 PM
    You do NOT have GPS. Google maps is using cell towers to estimate your location. It is better than nothing, but don't rely on it in an emergency. I've seen estimates as high as 2100 meters, which translates to a little over a mile.

If you have GPS, like on an 8310, Google Maps first uses the cell tower to estimate your location, and then uses the (slower) GPS to pinpoint you.
    06-14-08 05:24 PM
    You guys gotta try this one. http://m.tellme.com/dist/1.69.5/TmBl...top-1.69.5.jad

I think it is a really good app for being free. Give it a shot.
    I've found that TellMe's best use is to get phone numbers. It's essentially a free, fast 411 call that is then one click away from a map or dialing the phone number for you..
    06-14-08 05:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD