Sorry if this has been covered before. I tried to search the forum, but didn't seem to find what I was looking for.

I am a new Curve owner, and have been enjoying Google Maps... I don't have any GPS option, but I'd heard the program would triangulate your position based on cell towers and give you a very BROAD range of where you might be.

Problem is, I ALWAYS get a "cannot find your location" error when I use the program.

Is this because I live in too small of a city to have multiple towers? Or am I doing something wrong?

Any hints/tips/fixes would be appreciated.
    06-09-08 02:56 PM
    bump. Anyone?
    06-11-08 10:18 PM
    do believe the "my location" thing is a beta option... but you could try pressing 0 to try to find your location... lately i've been having some issues with google maps loading my location as well so there might be a problem.

Another possibility could be space, check to see how much free space (options>status> devide by 1,000,000) and see if it is above 12mb if not you may want to look into freeing up some space.

Hope this helps.

Jaymes
    06-11-08 11:03 PM
    When I had my 8300, I did notice a few times varying degrees of accuracy with triangulation. At work, it was "within 1700 meters". At other places around town, it was better - 20-30 meters. I do think you have to be in "just the right place between towers" to get good accuracy.

Having real GPS takes all the uncertainty away.
    06-11-08 11:14 PM
    It works on and off for me. There are many times where it says "your location could not be determined" or "a data service is needed"
    06-11-08 11:22 PM
    It works on and off for me. There are many times where it says "your location could not be determined" or "a data service is needed"
    yeha I get that BS too.. when I know damn well I have a data package.. **** I live in Phoenix if we don't have enough towers here to triangulate... we have bigger problems lol.

I think the service is just having issues as of late, I guess just grit your teeth and bare it. Also try Tellme see if that doesn't help you out in the mean time.
    06-11-08 11:34 PM
    yeha I get that BS too.. when I know damn well I have a data package.. **** I live in Phoenix if we don't have enough towers here to triangulate... we have bigger problems lol.

I think the service is just having issues as of late, I guess just grit your teeth and bare it. Also try Tellme see if that doesn't help you out in the mean time.
    It's kinda annoying because Google Maps is such a good program. I guess they have to tweak the sh!t out of it until they get it perfect. The latest version has a few more bugs straightened out but it still has issues.
    Last edited by JD914; 06-11-08 at 11:40 PM.
    06-11-08 11:38 PM
    I like google maps to a point... The my location feature does just that - give a VERY broad location. You are better off typing in your start address to get directions

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-08 11:39 PM
    I like google maps to a point... The my location feature does just that - give a VERY broad location. You are better off typing in your start address to get directions

actually if you're in a major city its very accurate. I'm always in NYC and I'm amazed of how accurate it is. When I travel upstate thats a different story.
    06-11-08 11:42 PM
    actually if you're in a major city its very accurate. I'm always in NYC and I'm amazed of how accurate it is. When I travel upstate thats a different story.
    Again, good point. I remember we useg google maps on my berry to get us to Vegas via the highways... Very different accuracy when your in the BFE lol
    06-11-08 11:47 PM
    Again, good point. I remember we useg google maps on my berry to get us to Vegas via the highways... Very different accuracy when your in the BFE lol
    I have a Freedom 2000 GPS puck and use it with Google maps when traveling and it works excellent.
    06-11-08 11:55 PM
    I had the same problem, go to options, advanced, gps, and turn gps to ON, not 911 only or off. Then go to google maps and it works.
    06-12-08 12:02 AM
    Going through the advanced options, GPS doesn't give me any option other than "none."

EDIT: Can't remember if I said this in the original post, but I have an 8320 from T-Mobile (w/ data plan).
    Last edited by SommerMatt; 06-12-08 at 10:36 AM.
    06-12-08 10:34 AM
    at work i go from 'within 1700M' to 'within 5000M' or sometimes 'within 800M'. With my freedom keychain 2000 connected google maps reports 'within 20M' but yahoo maps reports 0-1M.

I went to go look at google maps for you and the dumb thing froze I hope it's not because I updated to 2.2.0
    06-12-08 10:55 AM
    I had this problem as well. I had downloaded the google pack for teh BB to start with.

Go to the mobile site on google and download the newest version. For some reason the google updater software doesn't do it. As soon as I did, that "within 1700 meters" crap went away and it works off of the GPS location provided by the phone.
    06-12-08 10:58 AM
    Turn on your GPS -
    There is a setting for E911 ONLY and GPS ON
    I use it quite a bit on Verizon of all carriers, lol.
    Good luck!
    06-12-08 12:22 PM
    Turn on your GPS -
    There is a setting for E911 ONLY and GPS ON
    I use it quite a bit on Verizon of all carriers, lol.
    Good luck!
    Well, I already said that I tried this. There are NO other options on my t-mobile 8320 for GPS... the only choice is "none."
    06-12-08 05:12 PM
    As you already know, that's because the 8320 doesn't have built-in GPS, hence the choice of "none". It seemed to be sort of a trade to get WiFi (which I'm sure is probably nice to have).

I'm not sure what to tell you to help with GMaps doing location by triangulation other than "move around and hope" (lame). If it's important, you can always go with a BT GPS puck. That's what I did with my 8300 and GMaps *should* automatically use it if it's on and locked on the satellites. It did for me.
    06-12-08 05:23 PM
    Sorry if this has been covered before. I tried to search the forum, but didn't seem to find what I was looking for.

I am a new Curve owner, and have been enjoying Google Maps... I don't have any GPS option, but I'd heard the program would triangulate your position based on cell towers and give you a very BROAD range of where you might be.

Problem is, I ALWAYS get a "cannot find your location" error when I use the program.

Is this because I live in too small of a city to have multiple towers? Or am I doing something wrong?

Any hints/tips/fixes would be appreciated.
    I feel that a lot of these problems are due to the fact that Verizon locks their gps chip from google maps. My friends who have Verizon have a curve and a pearl and with both, google maps is locked from using the gps chip and instead has to use the triangulation technique.
    06-12-08 05:57 PM
    As an aside, sort of off topic...I used Google Maps today to give me directions. It got me lost in my own freakin city. It was WWAAAYYYYY off on directions. Told me to turn on a street that existed 4 blocks away, it was horrible. I won't be using it again.
    06-12-08 07:27 PM
    I feel that a lot of these problems are due to the fact that Verizon locks their gps chip from google maps. My friends who have Verizon have a curve and a pearl and with both, google maps is locked from using the gps chip and instead has to use the triangulation technique.
    but that's exactly my point... I don't have GPS, and my phone STILL doesn't do the triangulation. I tried yahoo! maps as well, and it came up with the same error.

baffling.
    06-12-08 09:04 PM
    I had an inaccurate point being shown as my location when I 1st got it installed and later discovered that it was interference with the GPS from my pc that was the cause. Its possible that there is some sort of interference with the GPS and google maps is having trouble correctly pinpointing your location.
    06-13-08 02:33 AM
    I downloaded the newest version yesterday for the first time and it worked great, I was thinking to myself who needs GPS when this is almost as good. However, using it today it never locates me or even has an option for "my location" in the menu anymore. I tried deleting it and reinstalling but that wasn't the problem.

I guess it's a bug or something. I was hoping I'd find more info here but this is the only thread I could find.
    06-15-08 08:58 PM
    I'd probably contact them about my location not listed any more. Unless someone here knows a solution. If GPS is on and not set to 911 only then it should be listed.

06-15-08 11:39 PM
    I'm station in Fort Hood, TX and it doesn't work anywhere around here but when I go home near Chicago it works all the time becoming more accurate the closer I get to the city.
    06-16-08 12:21 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD