Greetings,

Newb to Blackberry here (and loving it!). We got a Curve 8330 last week and I tried putting the Google Maps app on our curve and it won't run. When I try to run it all it does is show the Google Maps icon on a white screen with a loading bar and the version number. The loading bar will fill in about 1/3 of the way and then it goes back to our BB screen. We know someone with the same phone and he has Google Maps loaded and his works fine.

I tried deleting the app and re-installing it but it still won't work. Any body have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

JD
    12-22-08 09:55 AM
    make sure its compatible with the resolution ECT with the curve, if the res is not quite right it wont run properly
    12-22-08 10:02 AM
    make sure its compatible with the resolution ECT with the curve, if the res is not quite right it wont run properly
    I thought it might be a compatability issue but when I go to download it it only gives me one option to download. I have been using the browser on the phone to download the app. Would this be the problem?

JD
    12-22-08 10:07 AM
    I don't think so. That's how I downloaded my Gmaps and I have 8330 also. I will say that I typed google maps in the google search and it gave me probs. So from google home page I selected maps and downloaded from there no probs since. Hope that helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 12:00 PM
    I have the same problem as well. I had google maps before but my bb started going crazy with faulty software so I had to do a full wipe of my 8330. I went to google maps from my BB browser and downloaded it just like u. Icon never showed up and after the download, it even had me restart my device.

I tried to redownload it and it said that it was already installed. I overrided it and it still never showed up.

So now I'm lost as well
    12-22-08 12:05 PM
    On your BlackBerry got to

Google Mobile

This should be the correct download for you.

Edit: Sorry it should be m.google.com
    12-22-08 12:15 PM
    I am also a new Blackberry Curve 8330 owner. Just got it 4 days ago. I downloaded Google Maps application. First I went to the Google Maps site on my PC, Selected the Blackberry Phone and when that page came up.
    then I typed in my phone number for Link to be sent to my phone.
    Once I got the email and link, I clicked on the link. Then I selected just to download the Maps Application. Took about 2 mins to DL and it started right up after I agreed to the Terms.
    After it loads there is a white screen with an explaination about street level maps. Then I hit the back key on the right of the track ball and the map program is running.

Works really nice.

David
    12-22-08 01:36 PM
    I uninstalled and reinstalled using the link above and still, the icon is no where to be found. Its in my applications list however. I'm lost!
    12-22-08 01:49 PM

Thanks! I am going to try that link later. When I searched for the Google Maps on the phone it brought me to a different link than the one you mention.

I am also a new Blackberry Curve 8330 owner. Just got it 4 days ago. I downloaded Google Maps application. First I went to the Google Maps site on my PC, Selected the Blackberry Phone and when that page came up.
    then I typed in my phone number for Link to be sent to my phone.
    Once I got the email and link, I clicked on the link. Then I selected just to download the Maps Application. Took about 2 mins to DL and it started right up after I agreed to the Terms.
    After it loads there is a white screen with an explaination about street level maps. Then I hit the back key on the right of the track ball and the map program is running.

Works really nice.

David
    I tried that from my work computer and when I entered my phone number for my cel it said the number was invalid.

I am going to go to the m.google.com url and try that download.

Thanks for your help folks. I'll update what my outcome is later.

JD
    12-22-08 01:50 PM
    Well, I am at a loss. Google Maps still won't work for me.

I made sure to un-install what was already there and went to the site mentioned by roeod4. It installed Google Apps this time and when I ran it it actually worked. Then I realized that Google Maps wasn't installed yet. So I clicked the map icon and it installed Maps. After it was all installed it went to the same screen I mentioned in the first post, the loading bar went to half and POOF back to the main screen.

This issue isn't ruining my new Crackberry addiction, but does have me perplexed.

JD
    12-23-08 09:09 AM
    Welcome to CB R2-JD!

The only thing I could find about Google Maps is in reference to if you are using BIS (a personal BB) or BES (a business BB). Which one are you using?

12-23-08 09:31 AM
    Welcome to CB R2-JD!

The only thing I could find about Google Maps is in reference to if you are using BIS (a personal BB) or BES (a business BB). Which one are you using?

Thanks for the welcome!

We are using BIS (a personl BB).

JD
    12-23-08 09:56 AM
    Bump hoping someone can help.
    12-24-08 12:13 AM
    Is the blackberry on BES? I had that problem where it would only load about 1/3 of the way then I found out that my IT policy was assigning me to a software group. Once changed the software group back to default google maps runs just fine now.
    12-24-08 12:21 AM
    Anyone have a solution for this issue? I run on BIS and I use the link above. My apps says its on there but its no where on my home screen. Please help someone!
    12-24-08 01:53 AM
    I have no icon!
    12-24-08 01:54 AM
    Is the blackberry on BES? I had that problem where it would only load about 1/3 of the way then I found out that my IT policy was assigning me to a software group. Once changed the software group back to default google maps runs just fine now.
    I am on a BIS (its a personal BB)

JD
    12-24-08 06:51 AM
    I am on a BIS (its a personal BB)

JD
    JD,

Besides the BES/BIS connection with BBMaps, the only other thing I could find about the application not working on an 8330 had to do with application permissions.

Hit your menu button, select options, advanced options, applications, scroll down to google maps, and hit your menu button again. A small dialog box will pop up. Here you'd select edit permissions.

The solution I read about is to set the three options in google maps to "allow".

Give that a try and see if it starts working for you.

If you can't see the icon in your menu, while in your menu, hit the menu button, then show all. If you find the google maps application, scroll to the application and hit the menu button and uncheck hide.

I hope this helps.

12-24-08 07:35 AM
    JD,

Besides the BES/BIS connection with BBMaps, the only other thing I could find about the application not working on an 8330 had to do with application permissions.

Hit your menu button, select options, advanced options, applications, scroll down to google maps, and hit your menu button again. A small dialog box will pop up. Here you'd select edit permissions.

The solution I read about is to set the three options in google maps to "allow".

Give that a try and see if it starts working for you.

If you can't see the icon in your menu, while in your menu, hit the menu button, then show all. If you find the google maps application, scroll to the application and hit the menu button and uncheck hide.

I hope this helps.

WAHOOO!!!!! You did it! It works now!!!! Thank you x 1000!

After all this Google Maps better be worth it.

Merry Christmas!

JD
    12-24-08 08:32 AM
    WAHOOO!!!!! You did it! It works now!!!! Thank you x 1000!

After all this Google Maps better be worth it.

Merry Christmas!

JD
    Excellent JD!

Glad to be of assistance. Enjoy your new app and have a happy holiday

12-24-08 09:25 AM
    I downloaded Google Maps to my 8330, and it works great! My question is, since I have it, and it works, do I need BBMaps? GMaps seems to be more detailed, and I kind of like the "this is where you are right now" function. Should I delete BBMaps, or is there a reason (OS related) I need to keep it?
    12-24-08 12:20 PM

Google Mobile

no!

Google Maps
    12-24-08 01:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD