Hey everyone!

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

I was wondering if someone could explain to me what the advantages of IMAP has over POP email. I just recently switched my GMAIL over to IMAP, and I am a bit confused on why IMAP is liked more then GMAIL. I saw someone talking about how it sync's the emails or something? If someone has a second, I would greatly appreciate if they could explain to me what this means?

Thanks!
    Jordan
    03-02-09 02:09 AM
    What extra I have found with the GMAIL IMAP over POP is the email you read on your BB are marked as read on the webserver also. But somehow same is not possible otherway round like if you read/delete your emails from PC then those are not deleted from BB. Still trying figure out solution for that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 02:53 AM
    I recently had an explanation for myself. Pretty much lamens term haha. With POP, both your phone (for example) and your computer will each get a copy of a new message. Delete it from your phone it's still there on the computer. I think I'm sure lol. Whereas IMAP, you can say it's more synched precisely. Open a new message on your phone the computer will show it as read. Delete a message from your phone it won't be on the computer either. I am pretty sure that's how it is. You can always Google "POP vs. IMAP."

03-02-09 02:55 AM
    Yeah I will need to do that. I had my gmail account setup on two differnt computers and I noticed that if I deleted it from one computer, it would automatically remove from the other computers outlook account. I did notice this way not the same with the phone though.

One thing that really makes me mad though is if I open the message up on one computer, its still marked as unread on my other computer. Is there a way to fix that or is that feature not available yet? I would find IMAP much more useful if it would mark a message as read on all my computers and blackberry device if i read it on one of the 3 clients.

Who knows, if anyone else knows what features it offers, please let me know!
    03-02-09 03:25 AM
    IMAP is pretty much what you're looking for then. It saves space and time. You won't have to log on every device to mark a message read or archive it. But I think e-mail clients will more likely have POP than IMAP, if not both. So far I am using IMAP with Gmail and AOL with LogicMail. Not as perfect as IMAP should be. But at least a little less time consuming than POP.

03-02-09 03:42 AM
    Well on outlook, i have both accounts setup using imap and when I delete a message on one, it gets deleted on the other computer as well. If i mark one as read, it does not get deleted though.

Anyone know why?

Jordan
    03-02-09 11:02 AM
    IMAP syncs action to similar action. If you mark email read on 1 computer it will be marked as READ on other computer as well as on WEB. If you delete email from PC1 then it will be deleted from PC2 and WEB. But if you delete email from PC1 then it does not get deleted from Blackberry automatically but from PC2 and WEB it does. Same goes with reading an email from WEB or PC1 or PC2 it does not automatically gets marked as READ on Blackberry.
    03-02-09 01:00 PM
    When you delete it from your phone, it adds an [IMAP]/Trash label to it.

ANyone know how to find all these labeled messages and delete them for good from the gmail server?

nevermind, you just search: label:[imap]-trash
    Last edited by docsmody; 03-02-09 at 01:10 PM.
    03-02-09 01:08 PM
    When you delete it from your phone, it adds an [IMAP]/Trash label to it.

ANyone know how to find all these labeled messages and delete them for good from the gmail server?

nevermind, you just search: label:[imap]-trash
    Or just click the label on the left side of the window where it lists all your labels.
    03-03-09 02:19 PM
    Bottom line. IMAP is superior to POP. TBH I have ni idea why ppl use POP in the day and age of multiple "computers" for single users.
    POP will go the way of the dinosaur soon.

03-03-09 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD