Help needed here from Canadian owners with Telus service going to the US. So we have this great plan from Telus that for under $50/mo gives my kid unlimited texting etc. to/from all of Canada/US BUT suddenly it seems that if we are in the US for a few weeks as we will be RSN all those nasty roaming rates apply.

Would like advice as to whether its better to buy the Telus short-term US package or to just buy a cheap phone and prepaid package once we get there except Canada still seems to be considered "international" thus subect to extra charges.

We probably will never make a voice call, just want the kid to be able to text (and FB etc. would be nice) without coming home to a $200+ phone bill.

Ideas and suggestions welcome...

Cheers,
    Lelani
    07-16-10 12:13 AM
    Virgin Mobile prepaid for $25/mo--300mins, unl. txt+data. $10 phone @walmart ($15 @bestbuy)--Kyocera Jax. 3G capable. But otherwise basic candybar phone. Just pay for the one month and that's it. It will terminate itself through inactivity. Total spent for your three weeks--no more than $40.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-10 01:54 AM
    I called T-Mobile and explained to them that I would be traveling for an extended period of time and i did not want expensive roaming charges, etc. They then proceeded to get my contact information and my email address... they sent me the unlock code for my blackberry, along with complete and detailed instructions on how to unlock it. Now, I can use ANY SIM card in my T-Mobile Blackberry Curve 8320 and I will NOT get roaming charges.
    Just something to consider!

I told them I was going to Europe for 5 months. Just FYI
    07-16-10 11:18 AM
    The OP is on Telus and has the 8330. It's a CDMA device. It cannot be unlocked. And it does not use SIM cards.
    07-16-10 11:21 AM
    I looked at Virgin Mobile - only question is do texts to Canada count as international or are they covered on the unlimited? Thanks!
    07-16-10 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD