Hey guys,

I did as much research as I could, but Im a little confused and new at this. I got my Curve yesterday and am having problems determining what the most efficient all around way is to get my Gmail. I have it setup with Imap right now, and while I'm receiving my emails (albeit very slow...about a 10 minute delay I've found..) I can't seem to send any. It says they are sending but in a test, I sent an email to another email account about 20 minutes ago and it hasn't been received yet..

What is the best way to run Gmail with my curve and can you explain to me how to set it up? Thanks!

J
    05-10-08 10:26 AM
    best way ive found is:
    1. create bis bb email add.
    2. forward gmail add. to bis add.
    is this a gmail mobile add.(with gmail icon)? if so get rid of it and go straight gmail.
    set up for pop3. and disable imap also.
    05-10-08 10:32 AM
    You can download gmail through the google home page. If you have the blackberry plan you can set it up so gmail comes right to your phone. Welcome to the family.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-08 10:34 AM
    best way ive found is:
    is this a gmail mobile add.(with gmail icon)? if so get rid of it and go straight gmail.
    Okay, allow me to flash my BB newbness. WTF did you just say? I have no idea what any of that means.

I'm interested in what to do as well. I have Gmail and right now have it set up as one of my BB email addresses so it comes directly to my inbox and I also have the Gmail app installed on my Curve. What does everyone recommend I use?
    05-10-08 10:51 AM
    I currently use the gmail application. The only reason why I like it right now is that it views my html emails that come thru whereas when they were coming thru on my BB they were just a bunch of links. Until the new OS comes out that can do this, I'll deal. I'd prefer it to come directly to my BB, but since it's just personal I don't want to buy a program for that purpose. So there you have it! I think it's all just a matter of preference.

05-10-08 10:53 AM
    best way ive found is:
    Is the pop3 more effective than Imap?

Speed is the most important thing whereas, I don't care so much about the Synced Message Status that IMAP offers.

Also, any idea why my emails haven't been sending using IMAP? I just received an inbox message onto my bb with almost a 20 minute difference when it was received in gmail, but the messages ive sent from the phone, haven't been delivered at all.

?

J
    05-10-08 11:09 AM
    Okay, so I just installed the gmail app out of curiosity, and it seems to be working way better than setting up my account through the blackberry system.

I sent an email from the phone and it was delivered immediately to my other email account on the computer.

When I responded to the email from my computer, the email came in maybe a minute and a half later on my phone.

What are the cons of using the Gmail app? It seems to be working fine? Does the checking kill battery life? Would that be any different with IMAP or POP?

Thanks,

J
    05-10-08 11:24 AM
    I thought the thing with POP3 was that it would check for messages at intervals (sucking battery faster) whereas IMAP was the next best thing after push.

The gmail app is nice, but redundant. I set up my gmail imap successfully, get and send emails within 15 seconds of departure-status of gmail inbox won't change however.

Gl

05-10-08 12:36 PM
    I have g-mail set up through the BIS site and it works great. I get mail on the BB before it hits the desktop.
    05-10-08 12:42 PM
    Okay, allow me to flash my BB newbness. WTF did you just say? I have no idea what any of that means.
    Hahahahahahhahaha

05-10-08 12:49 PM
    So how do I set up Gmail for IMAP?

05-10-08 01:58 PM
    I have my gmail set up through BIS and it works amazingly, I send emails instantly and recieve them before my laptop does. It takes a little while for it to happen, it took a day or two for everything to be up to speed on mine.
    05-10-08 02:33 PM
    Welcome to CB.
    05-10-08 02:37 PM
    If speed is the most important, set up your Gmail through BIS and disable IMAP. IMAP is NOT direct push, but Gmail through BIS (with no IMAP) is direct push. You should receive the email within seconds.
    05-10-08 03:16 PM
    Just checking out the gmail app, I like the fact that it is html based over the gmail setup through BIS. However, is there a way to get it to notify me of new mail. I have installed it and no joy, I have to manually check my mail.
    05-10-08 04:17 PM
    Just checking out the gmail app, I like the fact that it is html based over the gmail setup through BIS. However, is there a way to get it to notify me of new mail. I have installed it and no joy, I have to manually check my mail.
    Yes go into the options there is an option to do this. That is how I have the app set up on my bb. Once you open gmail hit the menu key and highlight the word more. Go to settings and click the track ball. Check the box that says Preload and also the one that says Notify. Hope this helps and welcome to CB
    Last edited by crackvegas78; 05-10-08 at 04:28 PM.
    05-10-08 04:25 PM
    Mine will show a diff icon wheb it gets new mail. With the gmail app that is.

05-10-08 04:33 PM
    If speed is the most important, set up your Gmail through BIS and disable IMAP. IMAP is NOT direct push, but Gmail through BIS (with no IMAP) is direct push. You should receive the email within seconds.
    At the risk of sounding ********, how do I do this? What is the BIS site?
    05-10-08 08:38 PM
    Here is the link for Verizon

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

or you can access it from the bb by going to email settings. This will allow you to setup up a additional email accounts (to gmail) that you normally check in the office or whatever. Welcome to the addication!
    05-10-08 08:57 PM
    Okay, so I'm trying to figure out how I should set up my Gmail. What better way than to go to the source?

As per Gmail's website, here is what they say to do:

Blackberry

My question is, is it right? LOL. According to them, IMAP is a better protocol because you can lose messages with POP and have them repeated, etc. etc. What does everyone think about that?

Bottom line, I wish the BB messaging supported HTML, then I wouldn't have the Gmail app on my Curve at all. Right now I'm with so many other users who have both. Kind of annoying.
    05-10-08 09:29 PM
    i dont know if thats true or not. ive tried it both ways. several hundred emails each and never lost one. pop3 is direct push. therefore faster.
    05-10-08 09:36 PM
    Okay. Thanks for the info. I just tried to send a message to myself and it was a bit slow receiving it on the BB.
    05-10-08 09:47 PM
    My gmail works like a charm with the BB plan. No delays.
    05-10-08 09:49 PM
    My gmail works like a charm with the BB plan. No delays.
    So if I'm understanding you, you don't have the Gmail app installed, just using it through the BB address. Do you forward it? If not, are you accessing using POP or IMAP?

BTW, POP does seem to be faster. Crackberry has all the answers!
    05-10-08 10:02 PM
    dont know about everyone else, but mine is about 15 second faster forwarded through bis. account.
    i dont use gmail app it proved too slow for me. it doesnt have auto refresh thats only available on iphone version.
    option2: yahoo is extremely fast too.
    as fast or faster than reg. gmail
    05-10-08 10:54 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD