I cannot make it work either.
    I found that I had to remove my previous Gmail account and follow the steps (listed above) before I got it working. Now it is!
    08-15-09 07:58 PM
    Can someone confirm that this can still be setup after the latest BIS update? I also have the 'enhanced gmail app'.

The enhanced Gmail app lets me archive, but i can't see SMS and other messages on the same list, which I want.
    10-04-09 11:58 PM
    I'm running 5.0 on my 8900. This doesn't seem to work anymore. Anyone have this working on a 5.0 os?
    10-14-09 12:36 AM
    I'm running 5.0 on my 8900. This doesn't seem to work anymore. Anyone have this working on a 5.0 os?

I have the same question. I wanna archive and not delete. The workaround posted above no longer functions. Please someone who is a BB genius come up with something new!!!
    10-16-09 10:55 AM
    The step I was missing as to simply not enter your password when setting up the account so you can enter these details...only took me like 1.5 hours to figure this out haha! Follow carefully, and it works!

1. Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.

**(1.5) Enable the Advanced IMAP settings in Google Labs and check "Do not automatically expunge messages" and "Archive the message" under the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab.**

2. From your BlackBerry home screen, select the BlackBerry Set-up icon, then choose Personal Email Set-up. (On older devices, just look for the Personal Email Set-up icon.)
    3. Select Personal Email Set-up.
    4. Accept Terms and Conditions.
    5. On the 'Email Account Set-up' page, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') but leave the 'Password:' field blank. Select Next.
    6. You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure [[email protected]].' Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    7. Select Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP), then Next.
    8. Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    9. You'll see 'The BlackBerry Internet Service could not configure [[email protected]] email account.' Select Provide The Settings to continue.
    10. In the 'User name:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com'). Google Apps users, please enter your full email address at your domain. Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
    11. In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next. Google Apps users should enter the server name provided; don't add your domain name in this step.
    12. If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
    13. Below your newly added Gmail address, select Edit.
    14. Select Advanced Settings at the bottom.
    15. Make sure the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'
    16. Select Save.

There should now be a new mailbox icon on your BlackBerry home screen labeled with your Gmail address. Once you see this icon, follow these steps to ensure proper configuration:

1. Open the mailbox icon.
    2. Open the menu by pressing the jog wheel or BlackBerry menu button, then select Options.
    3. Select Email Reconciliation.
    4. Confirm the following settings:
    * Delete On: Mailbox & Handheld
    * Wireless Reconcile: On
    * On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins
    5. Select Save.
    After being bored at work and poking around online I found the new work around for this. Instead of leaving the password blank to get to the advanced manual setup, follow all the above steps, but when it asks for the EMAIL ADDRESS put in a fake address. I used blah(at)blah.com. It'll process for a minute and then go to the advanced settings dialog. That should fix the issue of the work around above no longer functioning. Hope this helps everyone out some. It was so simple it made it hard to find the work around.
    10-16-09 12:51 PM
    After being bored at work and poking around online I found the new work around for this. Instead of leaving the password blank to get to the advanced manual setup, follow all the above steps, but when it asks for the EMAIL ADDRESS put in a fake address. I used blah(at)blah.com. It'll process for a minute and then go to the advanced settings dialog. That should fix the issue of the work around above no longer functioning. Hope this helps everyone out some. It was so simple it made it hard to find the work around.
    I can't seem to find the "BlackBerry Setup Icon" - all I have is the "Email Settings" icon on 5.0.0.230 - I tried setting up an account with "Other" as gmail is listed in the "Email Settings" but it still trashes deleted messages. I am on Page Plus and just activated, so I think that it is going to kick me off BIS after the weekend anyway, worried I might have to go back to Verizon (was planning to for the Storm II). Sigh. So many hours spent trying to get this working...
    10-19-09 11:23 PM
    I can't seem to find the "BlackBerry Setup Icon" - all I have is the "Email Settings" icon on 5.0.0.230 - I tried setting up an account with "Other" as gmail is listed in the "Email Settings" but it still trashes deleted messages. I am on Page Plus and just activated, so I think that it is going to kick me off BIS after the weekend anyway, worried I might have to go back to Verizon (was planning to for the Storm II). Sigh. So many hours spent trying to get this working...
    If you can't find the "Blackberry Setup Icon" the fake email trick to access advanced settings also works in your pc browser. Just log in to BIS, delete the account, and start fresh using the fake password trick.
    10-20-09 03:19 AM
    If you can't find the "Blackberry Setup Icon" the fake email trick to access advanced settings also works in your pc browser. Just log in to BIS, delete the account, and start fresh using the fake password trick.
    I tried that, it just says it can't connect, no advanced settings options, just goes back to entering the email and password.
    10-20-09 09:20 AM
    Oh... my.. god...!! I just got it to archive on delete, after trying for about 2 months! I love you guys.

It seems like the key was going to a new OS on my Tour.. 4.7.1.61
    11-09-09 09:40 PM
    I've been struggling with this forever.... THIS WORKS.. the only other thing you have to do is go to settings --> labels --> and uncheck the trash folder for imap. other relevant settings:

- In BIS, "Synchronize deleted items between this mailbox and my
    device." is checked
    - The Auto-Expunge option is set to "Immediately expunge messages when
    I mark them deleted in IMAP"
    - On the Labels tab in GMail Settings, uncheck Trash
    - Blackberry mail settings are Delete on Mailbox & Handheld, Wireless
    Reconcile On
    Been trying this all day and it is not working. When I uncheck trash it never marks the message as read nor does it move it the archive.
    04-02-10 10:55 AM
    HI, wondering if anyone has been able to do this successfully recently? Can't seem to get this to work.

FYI i have the Bold 9700 with the enhanced gmail plug in. I don't want to have to go into the gmail icon on the homescreen, rather, want to use the messages icon (with all the rest of my messages) so i can archive. Any tips please?
    04-11-10 05:05 AM
    Been trying this all day and it is not working. When I uncheck trash it never marks the message as read nor does it move it the archive.
    BB's failure to manage Gmail & Google Apps (business) emails is one of the major reasons why I'm ditching BB for an Android device this year.

I laugh when I hear how "great" BB is at managing email. What a joke.

Although, for those sticking with BB, apparently BIS updates throughout summer 2010 will add better integration with Apps - including (you'll hope) archiving.

Good luck!
    04-11-10 06:28 AM
    The step I was missing as to simply not enter your password when setting up the account so you can enter these details...only took me like 1.5 hours to figure this out haha! Follow carefully, and it works!

**(1.5) Enable the Advanced IMAP settings in Google Labs and check "Do not automatically expunge messages" and "Archive the message" under the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab.**

2. From your BlackBerry home screen, select the BlackBerry Set-up icon, then choose Personal Email Set-up. (On older devices, just look for the Personal Email Set-up icon.)
    5. On the 'Email Account Set-up' page, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') but leave the 'Password:' field blank. Select Next.
    6. You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure [[email protected]].' Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    9. You'll see 'The BlackBerry Internet Service could not configure [[email protected]] email account.' Select Provide The Settings to continue.
    10. In the 'User name:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com'). Google Apps users, please enter your full email address at your domain. Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
    11. In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next. Google Apps users should enter the server name provided; don't add your domain name in this step.
    16. Select Save.

There should now be a new mailbox icon on your BlackBerry home screen labeled with your Gmail address. Once you see this icon, follow these steps to ensure proper configuration:

2. Open the menu by pressing the jog wheel or BlackBerry menu button, then select Options.
    5. Select Save.
    New replacement Tour in hand. This method still works great, being sure to use the Email Setup Application on the Device workaround cited up thread.

I'm not sure what the brouhaha about Gmail/BIS has been this week, I just know it didn't work at all for me, whereas this method works seamlessly.

Thank you. I delete on handheld and msgs are archived in my Gmail box. I BCC my gmail address on outgoing mail, and via a filter the bcc's are automatically archived at gmail--and are thus always available to me on the handheld.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
    05-05-10 10:37 AM
    Originally Posted by mikeru22

16. Select Save.

5. Select Save.

New replacement Tour in hand. This method still works great, being sure to use the Email Setup Application on the Device workaround cited up thread.

I'm not sure what the brouhaha about Gmail/BIS has been this week, I just know it didn't work at all for me, whereas this method works seamlessly.

Thank you. I delete on handheld and msgs are archived in my Gmail box. I BCC my gmail address on outgoing mail, and via a filter the bcc's are automatically archived at gmail--and are thus always available to me on the handheld.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
    Thanks to both of you for your posts. I know this will help a lot of folks later on.

The BIS change happened just after I shut down my BB. So, I'm wondering, does one still need to go through all these steps to make Gmail (and/or, Google Apps-based email) function properly on a BB?

Or, did things just get a lot simpler once the BIS upgrade went through?

Thank you!
    05-05-10 12:11 PM
    Bold 9700, AT&T

I remember using these instructions before to get a great working BB, but like an ***** I upgraded my firmware to v5.0.0.405. Now when you go to the email setup page, you can't get away with not setting a password, it says "Blank Password. Type a valid password" and won't let you proceed. They do give you an option to set up a Gmail account specifically, but I could only get it to delete on delete or leave it completely alone, not archive.

This was all done via the handset, would BIS be different?
    05-19-10 12:56 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD