My friend broke his old blackberry curve, so he bought a new one on ebay. I'm not sure how he did it all, but he took the "meid" from the old one and had to put it in the new one. I guess he worked at least for calling, but he finally got a new one and gave this one to me to use for my phone. I'm worried to activate it because idk what'll happen.

Will the bbm or browser work? or are these special codes? I think he used his old blackberry meid thing, but I guess he could've used the one from his env touch before that. Will that mess something up? I know calling works but will an env touch mess with bbm? will it need a blackberry data plan? I don't want to activate this crazy phone if it'll screw me over, but I REALLY need it to work since I shattered my old phone
    04-03-10 12:24 AM
    He probably used his MEID to switch his phone number over. The MEID is burned into the phones hardware, i'm no expert but ive never heard of anyone changing their MEID.
    04-03-10 01:45 AM
    no no he definitely changed the meid. he said he plugged it in and had special software to rewrite it. im just worried of what thatll do when i activate it
    04-03-10 01:46 AM
    Take it to VZW. That's really odd that he would change that.
    04-03-10 01:55 AM
    well see... thats exactly what he told me not to do. i feel like he wasn't supposed to..

the way he explained it to me, he had a "broken" phone with a "working" meid. he bought a "working" phone with a "broken" meid. so he combined them. only i think the meid might not be a blackberries. so im scared.
    04-03-10 02:04 AM
    Hey Chlaird not to run you off since you did bring an interesting problem but these are the 8350i forums (which mostly are on Nextel, Boost and TelusMike). Your phones an 8330. You might want to find those forums and ask there. If you get an answer there let us know or they arent helping more than we are you are of course more than welcome here. (Just noticed no 50i folks were involved in this discussion to begin with sorry to imply we were)
    Last edited by Mr_Eddie; 04-03-10 at 03:04 AM.
    04-03-10 03:01 AM
    Um� this forum is for all 83xx devices including the 8330. There is no 8330_specific forum.
    To the OP - if your friend did what he says, it was illegal and could explain why he doesn't want you to contact Verizon. Services for a phone are provisioned via service books sent from the carrier, and that link happens by registering the ESN or MEID. Sorry, but I'm afraid you have nothing but heartache if you try to register this phone for provisioning.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-10 07:53 AM
    Um… this forum is for all 83xx devices including the 8330. There is no 8330_specific forum.
    This thread got moved to this forum from the 8350i forum. The 50i while technically a 83xx device really shouldnt be grouped with the others.
    But hey the mods moved the posting and it seems to have been the right thing to do as now he's in a better place for answers for his device if he happens to get it working by some miracle.
    04-03-10 10:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD