Hey all,

So you know when you go to options -> status it shows you how much free space you have? So I've been monitoring that for performance, and also because when it gets down to zero it wipes your messages. So one thing I'm noticing is that the more I use the blackberry and do things like browse online or whatever, the free space goes down and down, like it's cacheing stuff somewhere, and then eventually it goes down to zero. I can't get the number back up, even after clearing the browser cache and closing all the programs. The only way I can get that space back is by taking out the battery. Anyone know where it stores these files? Or what are some more things I can delete to free up space? I get like 50something MB but I'm only at around 12mb before it starts eating away at it.
    01-15-08 11:20 AM
    Question...are you clearing out your history also, or just your Cache and Cookies? If you clear out the history also, then that should bring your number back up. And if you don't have one, get a memory card for pics and ringtones...that will save a LOT of space. And you want to delete that sample video if you already haven't done so.
    Last edited by LilUnique; 01-15-08 at 11:36 AM.
    01-15-08 11:24 AM
    What is your File Free at Options > Status?

Pulling the battery and rebooting your device is the best cache clear there is, as well as these tips:
    How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ.com
    Why is my BlackBerry losing its call logs or message logs? - BlackBerryFAQ.com

I recommend users attempt to keep 15-16mb file free at all times, not less.
    01-15-08 11:28 AM
    Is there a way to have your call logs and cookies/cache go to the SD card?
    01-15-08 11:34 AM
    yea, I cleared the history and cache and cookies, still short about 10MB. But I also just noticed I had way more apps open than I remember opening so I closed them out and that gave me like 2 moree MB. Do you know of anything I can delete to get me around 20MB free? Or can I set an option to use the SD card to store cache stuff?
    01-15-08 11:34 AM
    What is your File Free at Options > Status?

I recommend users attempt to keep 15-16mb file free at all times, not less.
    I'm at 4741148. I was at 2mbish before closing like 4 apps like media player and junk. Yesterday I checked an email that had a picture in it and I went straight to zero. Couldn't figure out how to get that memory back. It really sucks when it deletes your messages because of this.
    01-15-08 11:38 AM
    @Bill-- no, you cannot save call logs and cache to the SD Media card

@ Outontheporch, read the links I posted with detailed information and tips to help you free some memory. It works, you can do it too, just read the links and do what it says, and you don't have to lose anything.
    01-15-08 11:48 AM
    hey, any other free space tips? I've tried those moves from those FAQ's and I'm still running on barely any space. Down to 3MB now. There's gotta be a way to clear that up
    01-16-08 10:13 AM
    Yes. Start with listing your installed third-party applications (options > Advanced > applications). Don't worry about the RIM apps.

Languages?
    Themes?
    MP3s? Music? etc
    Pictures, Videos?
    01-16-08 10:36 AM
    Press the "del" key while holding down the "alt" and right "shift" key. This will do a soft reset of your BB. Once the BB is rebooted, you should have your memory back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-08 10:48 AM
    Press the "del" key while holding down the "alt" and right "shift" key. This will do a soft reset of your BB. Once the BB is rebooted, you should have your memory back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah, if you haven't rebooted your phone in a while, this will definitely do the trick.
    01-16-08 11:01 AM
    lol, it's been suggested (scroll up), but the OP has not been exactly forthcoming in answering questions or letting us know that he has done.
    01-16-08 11:06 AM
    lol, it's been suggested (scroll up), but the OP has not been exactly forthcoming in answering questions or letting us know that he has done.
    no one ever mentioned the alt shift del move, that was pretty sweet. I still wish I could free up more space though. I've deleted the sample movie, reduced the allocated media memory to 12MB, there's nothing really in my calendar, cleared cookies/cache/history, cleared the call logs and messages, deleted el espanol, and closed every app running except for like options and messages...I'm at appx 6MB.
    01-16-08 02:56 PM
    01-17-08 01:43 PM
    anyone? .
    01-18-08 06:47 PM
    Yeah, i wonder what kind of apps you have? I have about 18 - 20 MB free but when I initially go the phone I went 'Theme Happy' and I only had 5 MB free space. Then the guys over here helped me understand that too many themes can just occupy lots of space so I deleted most of the theme I had. You don't you more then 1 theme at a time anyways.
    I wonder if most of the apps you have on the phone can be run from the card?
    Any ideas? Is there a list out there?
    01-18-08 07:16 PM
    bumpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
    01-22-08 01:22 PM
    bizzzuummpppppppp

can anyone help?
    01-23-08 10:49 AM
    bumbpzorzzzz
    01-24-08 10:14 AM
    i forgot where, but i read it in one post

you can hold the alt button and type L G L G ..and an Event Log pops up, just hit menu and clear log ..i do that every once in a while ..it clears up some space, also like mentioned do the soft reset once in a while (when i do that i get more space but it also opens up a few applications so just close them right after)
    01-25-08 04:39 AM
    Found two little programs there that help some ... a free one called QuickPull that resets the phone (you can even schedule it to do it at a certain time every day), and a cost one called Aerize that clears stuff from the options menu. Hope this helps.
    09-20-09 05:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD