My 8320 has started to run slow and I believe it is because there is no free memory left (Options->Status->File Free = 0 Bytes)

I've done the instructions listed on the wiki - Deleted unused languages, deleted sample video, cleared cache, cookies and pushed content (they're all at 0.0 bytes); I've deleted prior messages...but it still says File Free = 0 Bytes.

I've only added a few applications - Viigo, Opera Mini, and the Google suite (search, maps, and gmail) and all other things like wallpapers, ringtones, music and video have gone on my Media Card.

So is this just a general problem with having 64mb device memory that I'm just gonna have to suck it up and deal with or is there something I'm missing/something else I should be able to delete to free up some device memory?
    01-31-08 01:59 PM
    Ok so I'm definitely missing something. I did a hard reset - I pulled the battery out whule my BB was on and lo and behold when it started back up I suddenly had 17 mb of free space in device memory and my Curve is running fast again. But every time I access media files the memory goes down again. 2 mb is already gone so there's definitely some temporary memory that is cleared by a hard reset. My new question is how do I clear that temporary memory without doing a hard reset?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-08 03:02 PM
    Ok so I'm down from 17mb of free device memory after the hard reset to 10mb...and I haven't done anything except look at emails (without attachments), play music, play ringtones, and view pictures that I already have on my memory card. There is simply no way I've "used" 7mb of data.

I know I'm missing something here, but I don't know what Help a newbie out!
    Last edited by phalco; 02-01-08 at 12:31 PM.
    02-01-08 12:25 PM
    this is strange. I am having the same problem after i created separate folders for my pictures which are all stored on the media card. The phone suddenly became busy and then after short while i lost my messages for the past week and the call log for the day was gone as well. I checked the device status and sure enough the 'file free was on 0. I deleated three pictures that i had stored on the device and the file free went up to 1.7megs. Through periodic checks that evening i observed the value moving from 1.6 to 1.8 megs. It then dropped to 0.6 megs. There is no way i have used up all this memory on the device. Oh my,,i just checked and its no back to 0. Will the crackberry God please help...
    02-08-08 09:18 PM
    Mine goes up and down 1 or 2 megs. I don't use the media player much though. But I do a battery pull every other day or so. I wonder what's causing that?

02-09-08 12:57 AM
    this is strange. I am having the same problem after i created separate folders for my pictures which are all stored on the media card. The phone suddenly became busy and then after short while i lost my messages for the past week and the call log for the day was gone as well. I checked the device status and sure enough the 'file free was on 0. I deleated three pictures that i had stored on the device and the file free went up to 1.7megs. Through periodic checks that evening i observed the value moving from 1.6 to 1.8 megs. It then dropped to 0.6 megs. There is no way i have used up all this memory on the device. Oh my,,i just checked and its no back to 0. Will the crackberry God please help...
    When your device gets low on memory the low memory manager starts behind the scene and you are not aware. When this happens it will ask other programs for memory which will delete call logs and text this might be your problem.
    02-09-08 01:02 AM
    do you use the application switcher often? y'know the alt-ESC? like the PC alt-tab or command-tab on Macs? if you use it much, it drains the battery (there's BB KB article for that); you may also want to clean up your emails especially those that you've already read

at any given day, i have about 24MB free - that's even without following John Clark's instructions on this link(click this), i know i could go over 35 for that
    02-09-08 03:42 AM
    Ricpac, I am carrying the same phone as you. I did a battery pull and the free memory is up to 16.9MB. I dont have any additional applications. All my pics and videos are stored on the memory card. Why is my free memory not as high as yours?
    02-09-08 05:02 AM
    Mine goes up and down 1 or 2 megs. I don't use the media player much though. But I do a battery pull every other day or so. I wonder what's causing that?

Question to experts and addicts and perhaps Mr John Clark.

Does creating folders in an application (for example the media application) cause i drop in free device memory even though the contents of these folders are stored on the media card?
    02-09-08 05:51 AM
    This has got to be a temporary memory issue. Since the battery pull I did on 1/31/08 my free device memory has gone from 17mb to 7mb. I have literally been using it for phone calls, texts, emails (without any attachments) and as a music player. I am hoping this is not something I just have to get used to doing - a battery pull every two weeks or so? I guess I'll try BB tech support and report back what they say...
    02-10-08 09:15 PM
    This has got to be a temporary memory issue. Since the battery pull I did on 1/31/08 my free device memory has gone from 17mb to 7mb. I have literally been using it for phone calls, texts, emails (without any attachments) and as a music player. I am hoping this is not something I just have to get used to doing - a battery pull every two weeks or so? I guess I'll try BB tech support and report back what they say...
    Hey Phalco
    I am expericing the same problem. I did a battery pull two days ago and my free device memory went up to 17megs this morning it went down to 14megs but now as i am typin this post, it is at 15 megs. Please report back what BB tech support tells you. I have same model as you.
    02-11-08 10:49 AM
    I am having the exact same problem on my 8130. I have taken all my files and put them on the media card yet it still says file free 0. I just do not get it. I have done everything but a hard reset. How do I do this?
    -Sherlock
    02-20-08 07:01 PM
    Got the same problem here. Just did a battery pull and I've got 3,144,955 bytes free. Ironic part is, out of 50 MB, when I look at database sizes, it adds up to 1163.8K, and stays there even as the memory drains. I run out of space once or twice a day, which gets really annoying when my call logs dump.

Has anyone found any answers yet?
    03-12-08 10:58 AM
    I am seeing the same thing on my Pearl 8130. Just moved all of my pics off of the internal memory to media card. Helped a little bit, but still loosing my call logs, and most of my email.

Anyone find out what is going on yet?
    03-13-08 10:25 AM
    Ive found eraseing apps i don't use like Password manager for exsample have made my curve faster.
    03-13-08 11:39 AM
    I have a number of applications loaded but I've never had a problem with memory. But I also make sure I "Close" out of programs (Menu->Close) and not leave them running in the background. I also set my Reserved Pictures Memory to 0 and my Device Memory Limit to 12MB. Sorry I can't be of help.
    03-13-08 04:15 PM
    hey, I have the 8310 and have the same problem. ever since i downloaded viigo, its ridiculously slow. the hourglass is always spinning. help?
    03-13-08 11:32 PM
    Be sure you adjust the maximum number of threads allowed by viigo, and delete feeds that you've already read. I do this every time I check viigo, it helps out.

Make sure you clear out your browsers cache, or delete your cookies if using opera mini.
    03-14-08 12:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD