Hello Crackberry People,

This site has been very helpful and I would like to get some technical answers to a question I am about to pose. Please don't flame or throw out issues of ethics, I am just asking what is possible or not.

I found an AT&T Curve the other day; the battery is dead so I suppose a simple charge will do it. Now, given that I have this phone that belongs to someone (besides trying to return it to the rightful owner) is it possible to get it unlocked and use it for another network?

I see some postings about unlock codes, and I presume the owner of this phone reported it lost/stolen, will the IMEI or some other serno will be posted as a lost/stolen somewhere on the networks and it would be useless for me to try and use it?

P.S. If this has been discussed, kindly point me to the right thread. I did a search but didn't see anything related.
    Thanks.
    11-19-07 04:09 PM
    i assume that the curve still has a sim card (under the battery?) if so i would charge it up, you could call a few of the contacts in the address book in case they know who it belongs to? or leave it turned on and hopefully the owner will try calling the phone??

Ant
    11-19-07 04:15 PM
    I think matey want's to use the Curve himself.....
    11-19-07 04:19 PM
    You should post an add in your local paper. Well that would be the right thing to do. Since you have a AT&T blackberry you can unlock it and use it with any gsm carrier(T-mobile, Rogers etc etc...) You can get it unlocked via ebay. Since the phone takes a sim card you will not have any problems using it on another network like T-mobile. Get it unlocked, pop in your T-mo sim card and you are up and running. Let me just say this, If I was you I would report it and try and find the owner. What if this had happened to you!!!! Good luck and do the right thing!
    11-19-07 04:23 PM
    I also think you should just take it to whatever carrier it came from. Its cool to find stuff, but someone is probably looking for it. Plus I heard that if a phone is reported stolen or lost the carrier does something to it so that the phone is inoperable on a network.
    11-19-07 04:32 PM
    I agree with fatreg, his intent seems pretty clear. I hope he/she does the right thing and returns it to the rightful owner, I would.
    11-19-07 04:32 PM
    To clarify the situation, yes, I am thinking it would be great to be able to use this phone I found. As I said in the OP, not looking to get into an ethics/morality thing here.

Just looking for technical answers. I'm going back and forth between doing the work of finding a charger to get it running again and tracking down the owner or keeping it myself. I have no idea how long this phone was lost and I'm not going to rationalize anything. It boils down to whether I think I want to use the phone or whether I do some work and find the owner. I lost my Razor a few years ago and had to pay quite a bit to get a replacement. It would have been great had someone gotten it back to me but that didn't happen.

Karma? Who knows... I am being straightforward with the scenario here, appreciate the feedback regarding the technical issues; I'll figure out whether I can sleep soundly at night on my own.

Thanks.
    11-19-07 05:27 PM
    Without reading the entire thread, let me just say this is a 'touchy' subject!

Call the respective carrier, give them the IMEI number, and call it a day. I hope no one here gives you hints, etc on how to 'cheat' the system. If I see anything related, I will close / delete the thread...
    11-19-07 05:34 PM
    Do the right thing and find the owner. Don't be a **** and justify why you should keep it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-07 06:04 PM
    Two wrongs don't make a right. Sorry you lost your phone. Hopefully I neve loose mine but if I do, I certainly hope that it isn't found by you or someone that shares your views. You are wrong!!!!
    11-19-07 06:38 PM
    Okay, this thread is starting to go in a different direction. The poster originally was just asking a technical question. No harm in asking.

Anyway, any of you wants chinesecatt to find your BlackBerry device? She will gladly return it. Just PM and indicate EXACTLY where you left it off
    *people play nice*
    11-19-07 08:57 PM
    I also think you should just take it to whatever carrier it came from. Its cool to find stuff, but someone is probably looking for it. Plus I heard that if a phone is reported stolen or lost the carrier does something to it so that the phone is inoperable on a network.

they do! i only know that cuz i worked for sprint pcs and i have a few friends that work for verizon & tmobile...so it would be pointless to even attempt to use it if the owner did the proper steps to report it missing.
    11-20-07 12:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD