Hello all,
    this is not exactly Curve question but I think general one. (but I have Curve and I don't know where to put it)

I've just migrated to BB and I want to read my PDB books, I found Mobipocket Reader quite usable but I have issue with our national characters.

Of course I can select there any localized central european font, and everything looks correct on PC side. But my BB device doesn't know this font as expected.

I didn't find a way how to insert fonts into BB and correct me if I am wrong there isn't a way how to do it.

But my BB is fully localized to our market, so there must be some solution.

What I am thinking about is to get this BB font into windows, so I can select it for convert in Mobipocket and everything should looks fine.

So question is, where can I find these BB fonts for windows??
    Or is there any other solution how to do this?

I will appreciate any idea, thanks a lot
    04-28-09 04:43 PM
    Your bb fonts might not know whatever font is being loaded but windows should recognize the bb fonts. Do you know of an app that will change them back and forth? or I guess windows can do that.
    04-28-09 05:15 PM
    I found a way how to do it and I don't think so this is related to Curve series only but for all.

It is quite tricky in one part and I can imagine lot of users ends there
    Summary what is going on here:

I have a lot of books in PDB format and I want to read them in my BlackBerry.
    The problem is charset and encoding. I need to use central european charset due to some national characters. My BB (Curve 8310) is fully localized, so it should not have any problem to display our national characters
    I've decided to use Mobipocket Reader as this one is simply best ) PDB files looks fine in PC (via Palm Reader), there are fine in MobiPocket Reader desktop, but when transferred to BB charset is corrupted and there are spaces instead of local characters or there are some unused ascii codes. When I was playing with mobipocket reader I found it is using own format and doesn't care a much about source. And it is all about this.

So solution is here:

1.) I've downloaded ABC Amber Palm Converter (it's free for download, I can't give a link as I didn't have ten posts yet ) you will find it simply with google, first link)

2.) Go to the Tools / Options and select encoding and charset. I need central european, which is even not there and I got same results with almost all settings. But maybe someone (asia users??) needs it..

3.) select output format, I choose PDF as this is supported by MobiPocket reader. (but PDF should not be the best one, later about this..)

4.) Now there is a tricky point, it create a PDF file, but characters are corrupted when opening with acrobat reader (looks same as was it in BB before I can imagine lot of people will end here)

5.) Drag & Drop created PDF into MobiPocket reader desktop. CHARACTERS ARE STILL CORRUPTED (and who didn't end on step 4 will end here ) But I noticed that not all chars are corrupted like in direct transfer PDB->MobiPocket. Just some are replaced by space, so at least it did something.

6.) I SENT IT VIA MOBIPOCKET READER INTO BB AND IN BB MOBIPOCKET READER IT IS SIMPE PERFECT !!!! EVERYTHING IS SHOWN AS IT SHOULD BE. NO CHARACTERS ARE MISSING OR REPLACED BY ANYTHING ELSE. I have no idea what's going on here, why it look corrupted in step 4 and 5 when the final result is as requested.

now back to step 3, PDF is maybe not the best format. the ABC conventer is adding about 10-15 lines header (there is an info about file) someone can find this as annoying. I think there are two ways how to handle this, 1.) use different converter 2.) export it to another format recognized by MobiPocket reader which can be edited and delete this header. (ABC converter supports HTML,DOC,TXT,RTF and more)

I didn't try both way as I am happy with current state now
    04-29-09 03:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD