I installed the BB desktop manager for Mac yesterday, and this morning connected to remove some apps, create some space, and install all the updates. In the process of this it mysteriously just stopped doing anything right after it said "database cannot be backed up" and shut off. Now it's flashing red twice, pausing for about 2 seconds, and repeating the flashing. I pulled the battery and sim even though I was sure that wouldn't do anything, plugged it back into my laptop, plugged it into the wall both with and without the battery, and nothing has changed. The desktop manager doesn't not recognize the device at all.

I'm using a Curve 8330. Is there anything I can do or am I screwed totally? Also, and I know this is a long shot, but what are the odds that I can restore the device and save the data that's on it?

Thanks for reading.
    02-02-10 10:06 AM
    It sounds like you have a bricked berry. try to look up how to fix a bricked berry. Im not sure how to fix it with a mac. Good luck!
    02-02-10 10:25 AM
    02-02-10 10:54 AM
    I'm on a Mac. Thus, this will not do any kind of trick.
    02-02-10 11:00 AM
    You might get some ideas here:

https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=378720

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-10 11:06 AM
    anyway you can run bootcamp and log into windows. I think don't think are much tutorials for reviving a bb on macs. Try to get on a windows machine.
    02-02-10 11:09 AM
    i do tricks, does that count?
    02-02-10 12:45 PM
    You can revive your BB. Anything you had on it is gone with the wind. Seem to be having a rash of people bricking there BB's with DM. Hope its not contagious! Good luck.
    02-02-10 02:06 PM
    I appreciate all of these replies but it appears that nobody has actually read my post in it's entirety before posting a response on how to repair it. The first reply was how to fix a broken BB using a PC when I clearly stated I use a Mac. OK, I have since gotten my hands on a PCm followed that link, and found that these instructions are for a BB that is stuck in a power cycle. Mine is not; also clearly stated in my initial post. All I have is a BB with a flashing red light. My Mac doesn't recognize it at all, and my PC recognizes that there is a device plugged in BUT the BB desktop manager does NOT recognize it as a BB. Thus, this fix that says I need to catch it at the proper point in this never ending power cycle it's assumed to be in is moot.

It is legit not doing a single thing but flashing.

IF anyone has read to the end of this post and knows of alternative methods to fix this that do not involved the brainiacs at the ATT store, PLEASE, I'm BEGGING, share!
    02-02-10 02:40 PM
    Ok try this. The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Worked for me can't guarantee it will for you. Make sure the OS you are trying to install is downloaded onto the pc. Then take your battery out of your BB. Connect it to the usb cable. Open desktop manager. Put your battery in. Will still not recognize bb yet. But try to install the OS. Li8ke I said this worked for me. Hope it does for you also. Good luck. Keep me posted
    02-02-10 02:55 PM
    You might get some ideas here:

https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=378720

Did you not check this link? if you'll read down in the thread, someone seems to have come up with a solution for Mac users.

02-02-10 03:03 PM
    If you have your hands on a PC or Windows lap top, the 101 lecture series topic should get it working. This is the key step:

Step #2: We need to connect the BlackBerry to the Computer via USB cable. But here's where the tricky part comes in with the Nuked BlackBerry. Do you see in the image above where it says COM1? What we want to do is plug in the BlackBerry, and when COM1 switches to say USB-PIN:UNKNOWN we immediately click Next. This catches the BlackBerry and takes it out of the constant reboot cycle and allows you to then reload the Operating System.

Tip: The USB-PIN:UNKNOWN option will display for a few seconds when the BlackBerry is first connected/flashing its LED in red. With a Nuked BlackBerry, That occurs when the device is in the initial start-up part of it's reboot sequence. The easiest way to get that to happen (vs. waiting for that step in the reboot sequence where you have a tenth of a second to hit Next before you lose your chance) is to simply pull the battery from the BlackBerry. With the battery pulled, connect the BlackBerry to the USB connector and as SOON as you see USB-PIN:UNKNOWN hit Next. You have to be quick still, but using this method you are in control of the timing. From there you can put the battery back in and battery cover back on (Make Sure you install the battery or else when the OS update is completing and the device disconnects from the computer to reboot, it will lose the power provided by the USB connection and you will get an error and have to do it all over again!).

** If you don't get it right the first time, try again (unplug from USB, pull battery, connect and hit Next while USB-PIN:Unknown is showing). You have to be fast and the timing is key, so it may take you three or four tries.
    As long as you have the battery in, the device will never be recognized by DM or App Loader. This method gives you a chance to get your BB detected so you can reload the OS.
    02-02-10 03:04 PM
    Try to install an operating system on an unrecognized device? Seriously? How? Using magic?
    02-02-10 03:07 PM
    If you read the lecture you will see that it is possible. I have done it several times myself. It can be a little nerve wracking trying to time hitting next so your device get recognized, but it works.

Try it. Hopefully you will be surprised by the results.
    02-02-10 03:10 PM
    I read this! Minutes ago, I stated that I read this is NOT THE SCENARIO I'M IN and that my BB is-not-in-the-state-that-post-mentions! My BB is NOT stuck in ANY kind of cycle! It is doing one thing and one thing only and that is flashing the red LED over and over. It is NOT STUCK IN A POWER CYCLE. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills right now.
    02-02-10 03:15 PM
    i am having the same problem with my boostberry flashin red lights with no display. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    02-03-10 11:20 PM
    02-03-10 11:28 PM
    Having the EXACT same problem as both of you are describing. Try what I posted earlier in this thread. You might be surprised and it might work. It did for me after hours of trying different things. I'm using it now.
    02-04-10 05:11 AM
    Did you ever find a solution? I'm experiencing the same and no luck so far.

I installed the BB desktop manager for Mac yesterday, and this morning connected to remove some apps, create some space, and install all the updates. In the process of this it mysteriously just stopped doing anything right after it said "database cannot be backed up" and shut off. Now it's flashing red twice, pausing for about 2 seconds, and repeating the flashing. I pulled the battery and sim even though I was sure that wouldn't do anything, plugged it back into my laptop, plugged it into the wall both with and without the battery, and nothing has changed. The desktop manager doesn't not recognize the device at all.

I'm using a Curve 8330. Is there anything I can do or am I screwed totally? Also, and I know this is a long shot, but what are the odds that I can restore the device and save the data that's on it?

Thanks for reading.
    10-18-11 01:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD