Purchased an AT&T BlackBerry Curve 8310 (Red) and want to get rid of all the proprietary BS that is on the phone. Such as the inability to install Yahoo Mesenger, all the AT&T logos everywhere, etc.. Steps to follow? Debrand first, flash last? Help?!
    04-10-08 04:52 PM
    I don't think it's possible to debrand the phone.
    04-10-08 05:04 PM
    I've seen this question asked and answered many times. Not possible to de-brand the phone. I suppose you could paint over the chassis logo if you really wanted to but you won't be losing the ATT splash screen anytime soon.

Also, there is no inability to install Yahoo IM. You can install it just fine. There is/was however, a service book issue with actually running the application. I'm not sure if ATT has begun allowing YIM use, but even if not, there are workarounds that others have posted. It involves restoring the service book that someone else saved to your device.
    04-10-08 05:12 PM
    Sure it is. Follow the OS upgrade procedures with the newest non-AT&T OS for the 8310, and don't elect to save your data. Voila, unbranded OS.

My warning is as follows: Always, ALWAYS back up your phone before doing an OS upgrade.
    04-10-08 05:13 PM
    Sure it is. Follow the OS upgrade procedures with the newest non-AT&T OS for the 8310, and don't elect to save your data. Voila, unbranded OS.

My warning is as follows: Always, ALWAYS back up your phone before doing an OS upgrade.
    That will not de-brand a phone. I've installed the latest 8310 OS from TIM and ATT is still everywhere.
    04-10-08 05:15 PM

this wont de brand the phone. their is a way to get the logo off the case, some sugar method, i think, as for getting it de branded wont happen. its set in the phone thats its a carrier code on boot, and it cant be changed.

as for the rim apps, for you to install them you need the service books for them, its dependent on carrier.
    04-10-08 05:19 PM
    That will not de-brand a phone. I've installed the latest 8310 OS from TIM and ATT is still everywhere.
    Mybad, you guys are talking about the splash screen. Yeah, well, no, there's nothing that can be done about that. The OS upgrade should get rid of all the carrier installed apps.
    Last edited by ssadowski; 04-10-08 at 06:20 PM.
    04-10-08 06:18 PM
    Mybad, you guys are talking about the splash screen. Yeah, well, no, there's nothing that can be done about that. The OS upgrade should get rid of all the carrier installed apps.
    All of the crap icons/apps At&t shoves down our throats are service book related though; so as soon as you register the device with the network, they will be back.
    04-10-08 08:04 PM
    no it wont. you can install some chineese carriers os, and tmobiles fave 5 will still install. you are wrong. you can install uk / o2's os on an att phone, and the junk from att will still install.
    04-10-08 08:42 PM
    All of the crap icons/apps At&t shoves down our throats are service book related though; so as soon as you register the device with the network, they will be back.
    Makes me even more glad I stuck with T-Mo!
    04-10-08 08:55 PM
    no it wont. you can install some chineese carriers os, and tmobiles fave 5 will still install. you are wrong. you can install uk / o2's os on an att phone, and the junk from att will still install.
    Weird. Fave 5s hasn't been back since I installed the O2 .184
    04-10-08 08:56 PM
    Weird. Fave 5s hasn't been back since I installed the O2 .184
    strange i did 3 pearls last week it loaded fav 5's back. every carriers os, as long as its for said device, 8100 for 8100 8130 etc as long as the os is for the device it will install to the pre programed phones carrier id, so if you download o2, vondaphone, att etc they all carry the same files for different carriers. based on the phone carrier id.
    04-10-08 09:59 PM
    strange i did 3 pearls last week it loaded fav 5's back. every carriers os, as long as its for said device, 8100 for 8100 8130 etc as long as the os is for the device it will install to the pre programed phones carrier id, so if you download o2, vondaphone, att etc they all carry the same files for different carriers. based on the phone carrier id.
    Are you sure this doesn't have to do with removing the vendor.xml file before you do the upgrade? I thought that was what specified the default app loadout on a device, and specified which devices the OS would load on to - like the orange .184 (I know I said O2 before, my bad) loading on my US T-Mo 8320.
    04-11-08 07:21 AM
    Indeed it is possible, I have done it!
    12-16-09 02:50 AM
    WOW! How courteous to make your 1st post to a thread that's over 1 1/2 years old, and then not even tell how you were able to accomplish said feat.

My momma (God rest her soul) would've slapped the snot outta me for being so rude.
    12-16-09 09:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD