I've had a new housing for my 8330 for over a month, but I've been too leery of putting it on. Today, I finally did it. I won't say it was an easy first time - it wasn't. But I think next time I do it, it will be much easier. No doubt, "nerves" played a part in today's change because I was trying to keep in mind all the things I've read here, such as, don't strip the screws, don't break the screws, don't break the tabs, etc. Fortunately, nothing bad happened and everything is working fine. Whew! I'm glad that's over!
    03-11-09 06:06 PM
    How were you on getting the antenna cover off? It seems really hard and I don't want to break it!

- glad you were successful!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 06:38 PM
    I have had my housing for two weeks and I have tried numerous times to remove my red faceplate off and I can't. I have just given up. I can not get the tabs off! Well, I am glad you were able to switch your faceplate

03-11-09 07:35 PM
    How were you on getting the antenna cover off? It seems really hard and I don't want to break it!

I watched a video on youtube for taking it apart. Once I saw how they did it, I wasn't too afraid of breaking it. What I really needed was another video showing how to put everything back together. I just watched the same video and followed the steps in reverse. I know that sounds easy, but it would have been soooo much easier following along with a video.
    03-11-09 08:04 PM
    There is a dissasembly and an assembly video on the cnn website...
    03-11-09 08:42 PM
    Well, I'll remember that for next time. thanks!
    03-11-09 10:13 PM

I've changed my housing a few times, and that darn antenna cover is the hardest part! I can never seem to get it off as easily as they show in the video. I'm always afraid I'm going to snap it in half!!
    03-11-09 10:34 PM
    So you've gotten it off before?

What exactly did you do like where did you apply pressure, which direction you pulled, etc.

03-12-09 06:07 AM
    I've had to swap mine out several times. What I did was this:

Holding the phone battery side up, antenna cover away from you, slip your thumb nails up under each side and lift up and push away from you. It feels like it's going to break, but it did not. Be very careful that you life up because the antenna is under there, and you can rip it.

Once you have it loosened up from the back side of the phone, pry off the front end. Again, it feels like it might break, but it didn't. It really is a sturdy little piece of plastic.

Note: My thumb nails are covered in acrylic...so they may be stronger than someone else's :-)
    03-12-09 09:40 AM
    I've had to swap mine out several times. What I did was this:

Holding the phone battery side up, antenna cover away from you, slip your thumb nails up under each side and lift up and push away from you. It feels like it's going to break, but it did not. Be very careful that you life up because the antenna is under there, and you can rip it.

Once you have it loosened up from the back side of the phone, pry off the front end. Again, it feels like it might break, but it didn't. It really is a sturdy little piece of plastic.

Note: My thumb nails are covered in acrylic...so they may be stronger than someone else's :-)
    Yeah no acrylic here! And I see what your saying. I know a lot of people warning about the antenna, but will getting it off your way be a problem with that?

03-12-09 01:12 PM
    Congrats on getting it changed! I know it can be a scary process the first time. I had two damaged 8310s given to me by out wireless manager a couple weeks ago. Both phones worked perfectly, but one had a busted screen and LCD and no trackball, the other had water damage and a messed up USB port and would only charge if plugged into a PC. I took the good parts from both and made one phone, which my wife now uses. The only problem I had was that I broke a tab on one of the side rails. Luckily I had the rail from the other phone.

I have no problem taking the antenna cover off. I slide my thumbnail under the center front of the cover, right under the spacebar, then slide my nail to each side until the clips pop out. Then just rotate it back and it comes right off.
    03-12-09 01:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD