First and foremost I want to say as of today, I love my Curves keyboard a lot. But the Curve was my first smartphone, before that I used a regular 'ol samsung flip and later a Moto SLVR. When I first got my hands on my Curve I thought it was a brillant piece of hardware and I really liked using the trackball. But I wasn't overly enthused about the keyboard, I wasn't use to a full qwerty and I thought dialing on it was ridiculous. I of course got use to the key later on.

But my question to you all is, did any of you come from a dumbphone to smartphone like the curve and thought the keyboard wasn't all that? Especially with dialing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 04:42 PM
    I came from a samsung music phone and I still don't like the curve's board. The keys are too small for me to type as fast as I did on a numpad. But, this thing is rugged. It def takes a beating better than any other phone I've had

07-06-09 04:53 PM
    i came from the voyager to the curve the voyagers keys are alot easier to use but im used to the whole keyboard thing so no big deal for me
    07-06-09 04:56 PM
    It's all a bit of a tradeoff. I still know people that won't get rid of their dumbphone because they can text on it faster, or it does all they need it to do. If you use at least most of your BBs functionality you will likely find the keyboard tolerable, at worst. It has keys, so you can learn to type without looking at it. If all you do is dial numbers it will suck, if all you do is text and email it is pretty good. The shortcuts go a long way towards helping (without using the menus). Other than wanting a bump on the "k" key (like there is on the 5/D" key, it's pretty good. I went from dumb (A900) to a perl to 8330 and to me the keyboard usability got better along the way.

set your autotext list up so that you don't have to type as much (there are commands to enter your phone #, pin, etc. in text without typing it in) and that will also help.
    07-06-09 04:58 PM
    From a Motorola Razr............Only thing that was odd, for me anyway, was setting speed dial numbers. With the dumbphone the first one you set was 1 (or 2 if 1 was VM), then 3,,,,,,with this one it was A, then B.....other than that, nothing else.

Though maybe I was just happy to be able to text without pushing a key 3 times for the letter I wanted. lol
    07-06-09 05:00 PM
    I have to say that I love my curves keyboard. At first it was a bit to get used to (I came from a first gen i-phone) but now I'm texting just as fast if not faster with my curve. I'm a girl and my hands/fingers are small though.

07-06-09 05:17 PM
    I came from a Treo and I liked the keyboard on that device much better. I also have an 8820 and I like that keyboard much better compared with the curve.

My wife also had a Treo before she got her Curve and she also preferred the Treo's keyboard. She does however like the keyboard on the Curve much better than the one on my 8820.

I guess you just have to find what works for you.
    07-06-09 05:29 PM
    I come from a Motorola KRZR. Even from the beginning I've always loved the Curve's keyboard. It's much easier to write emails and IM.

07-06-09 05:31 PM
    I thought my moto razr was the coolest phone. And when I left cingular for the big T I got an 8320 and at first I was having regrets and wanting to get a pearl. After playing with my curve I realized how much faster I can text and email. I cannot see myself using any other phone not even an iphone. No wonder the curve is the best selling smart phone.
    07-06-09 06:37 PM
    I used to have an env2 and when i switched to the curve it was weird for the first few days using the smaller keys, but i love it now.
    07-06-09 07:37 PM
    #1 reason I love the 8330's keyboard, I don't need to look at the keyboard to type anymore. I type so much faster now since I got the 8330, before I got my love of my life. I was using a Motorola RIZR Z3, oh yeah I hate Moto's. Also hate touchscreens, they are just toys nothing else.

07-06-09 11:24 PM
    I was a Motorola Razr and Krzr before buying a Curve..
    Oh boy did I hate the keyboard at first!

I thought I would never get used to it.. I hated typing with it, and dialing was just so weird!
    Texting was not the same either, I was used to Moto predictive texts..
    But now? I loooooooooooove it!!
    07-06-09 11:32 PM
    I went from moto razr to my pearl and have been using my curve for about two months now and am just now beginning to love it. I thought I was hooked on predictive text and I one handed typing. No more.

07-06-09 11:42 PM
    Its nice knowing others felt similar to you. There's always so much praise for the curve's keyboard, just wanted to see if others liked using their old dumbphone for texting and what not

07-06-09 11:46 PM
    I love the keyboard on the curve. I can type very efficiantly w/ it. Before i was using a moto flip direct connect.
    07-08-09 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD