Hey folks...First Blackberry, first post!!

I have had my first ever Blackberry, the Curve 8310, for only 3(!) days now and it was love at first sight! All I can say is W-O-W!! The OS (I currently have 4.2.2) could not be any more intuitive than it is. It always seems to "think" for me, and display exactly the right info, whatever application I happen to be in. Amazing!!

As a long time Palm Treo lover, I am BLOWN AWAY by this baby! I have the OS down pretty much. All email accounts set up, including my own Blackberry.net email address. How cool is that!

The device screams class! A perfect soon-to-be back-up BB for the Blackberry Bold, which I'm planning on getting right when it comes out! The specs of that thing are just beautiful to read!

Anyway, I got a few questions for the Curve:

First of all, the blackberry email address. It said I can assign a password, so as to be able to get my email online, but that the change would be permanent!. I left it alone since it sounded like big change, and it asked me if I was absolutely sure. I wasn't. Do you guys have your own Blackberry email address, and should I make that "permanent", apparently irreversible change?

Also, about the PIN. I haven't messed around with that yet. What do I need/want it for? I have JiveTalk installed and it's just perfect for all my IM needs.

Speaking of which, what are some MUST-HAVE's as far as apps? So far, I have JiveTalk, and it's great! I want to use Skype Mobile, because it does work on an EDGE connection. I tried it out on my Treo 750, but NOT when I had it on 3G, so it DOES work with EDGE only. I have IM+ for Skype installed. No dice. I also have iSkoot for Skype, and it has not worked for me as of yet either. There's WebMessenger, but I figured I'd ask here for some advice first.

Also, I downloaded OS 4.5.0.37, which will add what is often times referred to as the one "con" in some reviews I've read, as far as Pros and Cons go. And that being the ability to record videos, amongst a few other both visible as well as "hidden" updates that address stability, etc.

It also mentioned HTML support for the Browser, which would be very welcome. And support for HTML email? I am so tempted to get the new OS on my Curve, but I don't know...should I wait for the official upgrade?? I noticed they were talking about OS 4.5 way back in late 2007 when they still called it OS 4.3, so how far off could it possibly be??

One last thing: Synchronization! So far, I've been able to do everything without any type of sync software, as opposed to the Treo 750 and the WDMC for Vista. On blackerry.com, there is a way to download Blackberry Connect or something to that effect!?!? What do I need to install? I tried charging it using the USB cable, for example, and it said that it was "not efficient enough" because of lack of drivers. Hmm...I assume this will be a non-issue once I get whatever Blackberry software installed that I need. I'm currently overseas, and I asked my buddy back in CT to only send me the actual phone, cables, charger, and the case. Not the bill, nor manual or CD.

Anyway, I'm with AT&T, by the way. I am so looking forward to hearing from you, my now fellow Blackberry owners! I still can't believe how much I am loving this thing!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    05-31-08 08:07 PM
    This is a great starter thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...e-series-4716/

But a couple of things:
    1) The PIN is a unique identifier for your phone. It also allows to chat with other BB users in Blackberry Messenger. It's explained in that link.

2)For HTML support for email, there are two very good apps that both have free trials
    BBSmart - Software for your BlackBerry� and Empower your BlackBerry with HTML Email Viewer and BES MailBox

3) Lastly, and don't take this badly, but given how new you are to your BB, I'd advise you to stay away from 4.5 until you really get a good feel for your BB.

Have fun and Welcome
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 05-31-08 at 08:48 PM.
    05-31-08 08:44 PM
    Check out the post above and welcome to CB. So glad to see you so enthused.
    05-31-08 09:08 PM
    The email password thing is only so you can access your BIS account from a desktop computer to make certain changes that you can't do from the WAP version of the page.

PIN messaging is a BlackBerry specific messenger that allows adding and talking to other BB users via their PIN. It is essentially like a private IM club for BB owners.

Apps depend on your needs, but some universally accepted and recommended apps are the Google Suite, especially Google Maps. Check out the CrackBerry.com store for a bunch of different apps. Just reading around the site in general will point you to some of the cooler stuff as well.

Don't mess with 4.5 beta right now. The official version is due out soon, and the betas still have some issues. This goes ten fold for you as a new BB user.

Real HTML email is not possible on a BlackBerry at this time. It will require OS 4.5 or higher and an update to the BIS server, which is done by your carrier. Until both are in place, you won't benefit. There are two programs — Empower and BBSmart — that allow for pseudo-HTML viewing though. Just understand that neither of them are real HTML, they just add some embedded pictures, clean up link-code, and allow you to choose a background color for all of your mails. That said, they are still far and away better than the normal, text only, email.

Syncing is done with BlackBerry Desktop Manager. It comes on the user CD, but it can also be downloaded from the BlackBerry website. Once it is installed, you will no longer get that insufficient charging message. BlackBerry Connect is something different altogether and it is used by Windows Mobile devices to allow for BB style push email from a BES.

Here is a link to what you want: BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.3. Just fill in the information and you are set.
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 05-31-08 at 09:44 PM.
    05-31-08 09:41 PM
    Oh man! You guys are GREAT!! Thanks so much for the ULTRA fast replies! Yea, I'm a total n00b, but you know, I don't feel like I am. I haven't touched a manual, or anything, and I've successfully set up the whole thing, installed apps, arranged my "Home screen" and am using GPS with TeleNav and GoogleMaps. WOW! That speaks for this seemingly rock solid OS being unbelievably "intelligent"!

And thanks for the warm welcome, too!

I know about the password for the BB email address making it possible to view my email on my computer. Do most of you do that? I would have done it right away, had it not been for this alarmist warning. I thought, I'd better ask you fine people as to whether there is a benefit to NOT doing that??

And thanks for the warning about the Beta OS. So it IS still a beta. Cool. I won't mess with it then. I'm used to Windows Mobile 5, and 6, and I work in IT. But this OS is still new to me, although again, it feels like I pretty much got the hang of it. I unlocked it already, too. If anyone wants to know how to do it, I'd be glad to help. It's a funny procedure for the BB's.

So does anyone know when 4.5 will drop? It'll have EXACTLY what I'm missing from Windows Mobile right now. At the same time, it's no biggie, but video recording will be fun to have and the browser overhaul and HTML email will all be very nice and welcome additions to this (enter superlative, I am fresh out of them haha) Blackberry.

Oh, one more thing. I saw that text messages can be sent via data?? There's one setting in the Options/Advanced Options (I forget), where you can set it to use SMS, GRPS, or GPRS Preferred. I'm overseas right now, and I'm loving the ONLY unlimited international data plan for ANY PDA, the BB Int'l! The 25% discount will come in nice! I'm asking because there is no int'l text package.

Oh, another thing. lol...I'm sorry for the long post, but I honestly have never been so excited about a new cell in my 9 years with AT&T!! Anyway, word completion! In Windows Mobile, when you write an email, or text message, you can set it to where it will suggest the word you're typing and give you either 3, 4, or 5 choices. Pretty nifty. Going through the tons of settings and tweaks, I haven't found where I can set it to do that. Is this possible on the BB's?

So no Skyper's amongst you guys?? Works on the Treo and, as I said, on EDGE! Would be hot if I could get that to work on my new flagship phone!! I'm looking forward to SlingPlayer for BB, too! Crazy! Craaaaazy!!!!!!!!!!! hehe...

Thanks again, guys!
    05-31-08 11:28 PM
    Congrats on the phone and welcome

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-08 03:48 AM
    Oh, another thing. lol...I'm sorry for the long post, but I honestly have never been so excited about a new cell in my 9 years with AT&T!! Anyway, word completion! In Windows Mobile, when you write an email, or text message, you can set it to where it will suggest the word you're typing and give you either 3, 4, or 5 choices. Pretty nifty. Going through the tons of settings and tweaks, I haven't found where I can set it to do that. Is this possible on the BB's?
    Yes I'm wondering about this too. I really miss this feature from windows mobile. I'm an avid user of windows mobile close to 10 years now since the day of iPAQ. I love blackberry 8320, but I miss the Word Completion feature.
    06-02-08 08:13 PM
    There is no word completion like on the Pearl but there is Autotext

Options > autotext

When you type shel, it will change to she'll and so on. You can add others to the list if you like by pressing menu > new
    Type in your short word say "bb" and then under replace with type Blackberry. Now everytime you type bb it will change it automatically
    06-02-08 08:24 PM
    Hello, and welcome!!! You'll love it here!!
    06-02-08 08:26 PM
    Thanks for the responses!! Well, I figured this baby out pretty much since I posted this thread. I won't mess with the beta OS, as others have suggested. Does anyone know when it will drop?? It's been announced as imminent, and there are 3 new features that I'd use all the time!!

I got just a couple more questions:

As jlingo said, I also come from Windows Mobile, so to speak, and I'm used to "word completion".

amazinglygraceless...So the BB Pearl has it, but the Curve doesn't?????? The Curve is touted as a texting/emailing/messaging MACHINE, and world completion would only be OBVIOUS! Hmmm...I don't know if you guys know this, but you can set it to where it'll give you suggestions/guesses as to which words you want to use after you type the first or second letter, depending on what you set it to. And then it will give 3, 4, or 5 suggestions, again, depending on how to tweak that setting. You can also set it to where it "learns" the words you use frequently and kind of adapts to your writing style.

Does AutoText'ing work like that?? Maybe there's an application that I can install?? Is there anyway I can do that with the Curve? Does the Pearl do it like that?? I really miss that!

The other thing is the AT&T Navigator and TeleNav GPS. I am currently overseas, but added the feature, along with the BB Int'l unlimited plan. I installed GoogleMaps, and it works with that, but I also tried TeleNav and the AT&T Navigator, and there is NO comparison. I know there's a TeleNav Europe, one for China, and one for Taiwan.

Right now, I'd be happy with the European maps. Is there any way to download the maps for Europe, or get them in some other way??

Those are really the only two things I'm missing. Otherwise I'm totally happy with the Curve!

Thanks again for the help!
    06-02-08 08:58 PM
    Welcome to CB! Great choice on phone BTW! I'm on Skype, and have also been w/AT&T (in it's various forms for a long time. (Since 1998)

Glad to see your adapting to the change from WM5/6 so well

It really is a solid device, I no longer have to reset my phone daily! (Somedays hourly:P)
    06-02-08 09:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD