My friend recently lost his Blackberry.

Would anyone know if its possible to track it down (in the event that someone's using it) via the PIN number?

It's the Curve 8310, so no GPS.

Thanks in advance!
    03-30-09 05:14 PM
    Pretty sure they can't track it down, but you should definitely report it to the carrier so they flag the PIN ... Then, if it is activated (or someone tries to...) they will know!
    03-30-09 05:17 PM
    Lol shoot.. I am sure there might be ways.. The location could be determined if the 911 location setting was disabled, also I heard of some software that could determine loaction of a cell phone just by using some of the local towers.. Hope this helps!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 05:19 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply!

We'll definitely do that.
    03-30-09 05:19 PM
    No way o track the device. Sorry to hear this happened. I would call the carrier and get the line suspened till it is found or replaced. This will stop any use.

03-30-09 05:20 PM
    I have an 8310 and it has gps, but you could have another BB and add the pin to messenger and see when its online.

03-30-09 05:51 PM
    He won't like that

It's a T-Mobile phone, if it's found and still working would someone be able to take the phone and use it again?

I know that GSM phones can be swapped just by switching a user's SIM card, however since I'm new to Blackberry's - I'm learning all-new stuff.

I'm pretty sure that what he's worried about most is the info he has on the device, but its locked - so it's safe, right?
    03-30-09 05:53 PM
    If the device is locked, he's fine. If sombody enters the wrong password 10 times, the device will wipe itself and info is lost...
    03-30-09 06:11 PM
    Not possible.

Best of luck getting a replacement.
    03-30-09 07:22 PM
    Just in case I lose my bb 8310: I D loaded gmaps and signed into latitude (this shows your friends where you are)and created a different email acct and added that acct as my friend. When I open and close gmail I select suspend and cont sharing location with friends. Then I hide the gmap icon on my home screen. This way if I ever lose my blackberry I could log on to gmaps (google maps) and see exactly where my phone is and hopefully retrieve it. Just an idea if you need it for future reference.

03-31-09 12:07 AM
    Just in case I lose my bb 8310: I D loaded gmaps and signed into latitude (this shows your friends where you are)and created a different email acct and added that acct as my friend. When I open and close gmail I select suspend and cont sharing location with friends. Then I hide the gmap icon on my home screen. This way if I ever lose my blackberry I could log on to gmaps (google maps) and see exactly where my phone is and hopefully retrieve it. Just an idea if you need it for future reference.

Sounds pretty awesome. Of course, you should let the police handle the retrieval process, just in case. Unless it's someone you know. And to turtledude, I have a turtle. But I'm sure if the device is locked then there is no way to retrieve any info on the phone. Unlike Sony Ericsson phones I have modded, in which you can actually reset the password, RIM pretty much set this extreme keylock measure to wipe for such times. Besides, what are the chances whoever took the phone is a BlackBerry phone developer working for RIM? Even if so, if such a person took it, he/she would return it. So your friend can be at ease. The info will be terminated if not retrieved.
    I remember when I lost my phone. I kept calling it non-stop and I guess it was never found (which I doubt) or the person never picked up. Must be a punk kid. In any case, I hope your friend gets the phone back.
    03-31-09 01:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD