Hey, I'm new here and I recently got an 8320 for my birthday (upgrade from my black V3t RAZR, lol) and I have T-Mobile as my carrier. I have a few questions on some things I seem to be having issues with so I hope you guys can help me out.

1.) Is Yahoo and Windows Live Messenger even supported by this phone? I tried logging into Windows Live and Yahoo messenger but it gives me an error and told me to go to Blackberry.com and download it, but it wouldn't work when I tried it. It said I don't have the system requirements met and it just doesn't detect my phone.

2.) Is there somewhere else I could download the IM programs from? The icons are already on my phone but it says I don't have the "service books" or something. I've heard of JiveTalk so if I downloaded that, would that just fix the problem anyway?

3.) I'm not sure if I have a data service plan activated yet, would that make a difference as to whether IM works or not? Do you need internet or anything activated to use IM? I could IM just fine from my RAZR and it didn't have internet or anything so I don't really understand.

4.) When I do get internet set-up and whatnot, I can just use it anywhere, right? (Like the carrier browser, not Wi-Fi because I know you need an actual source or router for Wi-Fi, at least that's what I've been told). I could like just use the internet while walking around or running errands, correct?

I apologize if I come across as too newb-ish or anything or if these are stupid questions. I was just really excited when I got this phone and I wanted to ask and see if it will suit me or if not so I can exchange it before the 14 day period is up. Thanks so much for any help.
    07-14-08 04:55 PM
    Hey, I'm new here and I recently got an 8320 for my birthday (upgrade from my black V3t RAZR, lol) and I have T-Mobile as my carrier. I have a few questions on some things I seem to be having issues with so I hope you guys can help me out.

1.) Is Yahoo and Windows Live Messenger even supported by this phone? I tried logging into Windows Live and Yahoo messenger but it gives me an error and told me to go to Blackberry.com and download it, but it wouldn't work when I tried it. It said I don't have the system requirements met and it just doesn't detect my phone.

You will need a data plan for this to work

2.) Is there somewhere else I could download the IM programs from? The icons are already on my phone but it says I don't have the "service books" or something. I've heard of JiveTalk so if I downloaded that, would that just fix the problem anyway?

Without a data plan, the default IM clients will not work. JiveTalk will work on WiFi only

3.) I'm not sure if I have a data service plan activated yet, would that make a difference as to whether IM works or not? Do you need internet or anything activated to use IM? I could IM just fine from my RAZR and it didn't have internet or anything so I don't really understand.

You need the data plan to retrieve your buddy list etc. And to connect to the IM apps. Most applications require the data plan to activate, etc

4.) When I do get internet set-up and whatnot, I can just use it anywhere, right? (Like the carrier browser, not Wi-Fi because I know you need an actual source or router for Wi-Fi, at least that's what I've been told). I could like just use the internet while walking around or running errands, correct?

I apologize if I come across as too newb-ish or anything or if these are stupid questions. I was just really excited when I got this phone and I wanted to ask and see if it will suit me or if not so I can exchange it before the 14 day period is up. Thanks so much for any help.
    Welcome to Crackberry!!

And you do not sound stupid or anything!! Every beginner has a question or two!! Check out the links in my signature for more info on your Berry!!

Since you only have WiFi right now, check out my WiFi guide (link in sig) and there is a link within that that has a list of programs that use WiFi only!
    07-14-08 04:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD