First, I'm running the OS that came with my curve through sprint. 4.5.0.131. How good of an OS is this, and is it worth upgrading to something else? If it's worth it, how would I upgrade, and what would happen to my phone? Would I be breeching contract at all / voiding any warranties? Is it reversable?

Also, what does a battery pull do? It's commonly suggested as a solution to problems, but what exactly are you doing by abruptly cutting power to your phone? Do apps like "quick-pull" or whatever that simulate a battery pull actually work?

Finally, a few physical questions. My screen is cracked, can I replace it or have it fixed? How would I go about cleaning my device? Also, my trackball seems to get stuck every so often just recently. I'd like to clean that too, without taking it out if it all possible.

Thanks in advance!
    10-25-09 11:38 PM
    Can't answer #1 as I don't have Sprint.

#2: Battery pull does 2 things, generally:
    - Reloads the OS which, like rebooting your PC, can reload problem components and resolve it. Just like if your PC is being weird, and a reboot fixes it.
    - It also forces a Service Book push from RIM's system upon startup so if you're issue is related to missing SB's it can resolve it.

#2b: Yes Quickpull works. It reboots your phone like a battery pull does. It just "causes" the reboot via software, and not a hard battery disconnect. Same end product.

#3. Yes. Check online and you can learn alllll about replacing just about anything in your berry. Most thorough cleanings, though, will require you to take it apart (either casing, or remove the Trackball, etc) due to the design for you to do any type of "long term" cleaning. It's fairly easy, though, to do. Just do some searching as there's TONS of info on this.
    10-25-09 11:51 PM
    1) If the phone is functioning properly there is no real need to update the OS.
    Should you decide there are "Stickies" on the front page of this section for the
    newest OS for each device. They all have instructions in the first post.

This is also helpful: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/

2) Battery pulls - This is a point of contention. A great of people think it is
    some way to magically restores / refreshes device memory. IT DOES NOT.
    The ONLY time you should do a battery pull or any other kind of reset is if
    your device completely freezes.

Screen: Fortunately your screen is not cracked. What is cracked is the
    plastic LCD cover. You can get a new one here. They are a US company
    not a company in China so turnaround time is much better.

Cleaning: is no great worry. Spray whatever on a cloth, paper towel, etc and
    wipe it down. More often I just use my tie.

Trackball: Standard cleaning. QTip lightly moistened with alcohol.
    You can also pop of the silver bezel, take out the trackball and blow
    out the cavity with compressed air.

Finally: This should help get you up to speed quickly - BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com
    10-25-09 11:55 PM
    Blackberry Parts, BlackBerry Curve Parts, Blackberry Pearl Parts, Blackberry Bold Parts a decent supplier for parts, as is Amazon

A new Update is available, 4.5.0.175, and can be done via computer download or Wireless Update, which I used last Tuesday. It went well. It fixes some minor issues that are present in .131.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-09 11:57 PM
    - It also forces a Service Book push from RIM's system upon startup so if you're issue is related to missing SB's it can resolve it.
    This, I do not believe is correct.
    10-26-09 12:00 AM
    This, I do not believe is correct.
    You may be right, but I was pretty sure anytime you reboot it auto-hits RIM's systems and pushes your Service Books across. This is what I was advised quite a while ago, and anytime I've ever made changes to my BIS account or changed phones once I reboot I get a massive data push and my changes come across (even if they hadn't pre-reboot like when I changed to my Curve, and my email didn't push over right).
    10-26-09 12:13 AM
    Right, but that is because you made changes which effect the SBs. Also, when
    you restart after an OS upgrade it will re-push as you won't have any on restart.

During a normal reboot, since nothing changed on the BIS/BES side and your
    SBs are intact, there is no re-push.
    10-26-09 12:17 AM
    Right, but that is because you made changes which effect the SBs. Also, when
    you restart after an OS upgrade it will re-push as you won't have any on restart.

During a normal reboot, since nothing changed on the BIS/BES side and your
    SBs are intact, there is no re-push.
    That's what I meant. When I said, in my original reply, if it's due to a missing SB. It wont push everything over, but if it does its power on checkup with RIM and you've got SB's on RIM's side and not on your phone it should push it over to put the 2 into sync with each other.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but thats what I was saying when I mentioned it would fix an issue on reboot relating to missing SB's.
    Last edited by digitard; 10-26-09 at 12:22 AM.
    10-26-09 12:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD