When I purchased my 8330 the sales person told me that I could send text messages longer than the standard 160 characters. I was informed that I could simply type as long as I wanted and when the message was sent to customers outside of verizon it would just roll the text into a new message.

I have been unable to figure out how to do this and am also unable to send text messages over 160 characters to other verizon customers like I was able to do on my previous non-blackberry phone.

Can anyone please help me?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-09 10:57 AM
    I have no idea about texts being sent into a new message. You can make longer text messages using the MMS feature though. Not sure why you cant reply to messages that are long though unless you dont have MMS package?
    05-04-09 11:03 AM
    I am no expert, but it seems as though your sales person lied to you. I have read a lot about this issue on these forums and it seems as though every Verizon BlackBerry is limited to 160 characters for any SMS text.

The good news is that i just beta-tested a new application called Beyond160 which essentially does exactly what its name suggests. If one gets the "field full" message, he can go to the menu, click "Beyond160" and it will open a texting program that allows him to type as much as he wants. When the message is sent, it gets sent as multiple messages labeled (1/2), (2/2) or so on.
    05-04-09 11:19 AM
    See the MMS would be a could replacement to type longer messages but MMS opens as a webpage and it would be too much of a hassle

05-04-09 11:56 AM
    I am no expert, but it seems as though your sales person lied to you. I have read a lot about this issue on these forums and it seems as though every Verizon BlackBerry is limited to 160 characters for any SMS text.

The good news is that i just beta-tested a new application called Beyond160 which essentially does exactly what its name suggests. If one gets the "field full" message, he can go to the menu, click "Beyond160" and it will open a texting program that allows him to type as much as he wants. When the message is sent, it gets sent as multiple messages labeled (1/2), (2/2) or so on.
    AT&T does this automatically... This would definitely be good for Verizon customers, though.
    05-04-09 02:28 PM

That sucks that my Pearl could already do this but I need an app for my Curve. Oooh well. Any idea when that app will come out?
    05-04-09 04:02 PM
    I can't seem to post links yet but it's available at mobihand.com and do a search for Beyond160
    05-04-09 04:08 PM
    It's a carrier thing. Verizon limits SMSs to 160 characters, whereas some other companies, say T-Mobile, allow you to text continuously (maxing at six pages per text). With a carrier like T-Mobile, messages over 160 characters are divided and sent as separate messages when you send them. It does appear that the sales person misinformed you, but as others mentioned, MMS will allow for more lengthy messaging with any carrier (check with your carrier to make sure MMSs are counted in your texting plan).
    05-04-09 04:15 PM
    It's a carrier thing. Verizon limits SMSs to 160 characters, whereas some other companies, say T-Mobile, allow you to text continuously (maxing at six pages per text). With a carrier like T-Mobile, messages over 160 characters are divided and sent as separate messages when you send them. It does appear that the sales person misinformed you, but as others mentioned, MMS will allow for more lengthy messaging with any carrier (check with your carrier to make sure MMSs are counted in your texting plan).
    Aaaah so THAT'S why my Pearl could do it. Makes sense. Stupid Sprint. Lol
    05-04-09 04:24 PM
    When I had my Motorola Q9M, it went to another page autuomatically. It's a pain with the Curve not doing that. Beyond160 sounds like a good program. I'll have to check it out.

05-04-09 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD