I have Desktop Manager 4.7. I was attempting to do a full backup of my BlackBerry. When I reached the backing up of the browser data cache, it stopped and gave me the below error message.

I deleted the browser's cache and tried again with no better results.

Please help before I really do beat this thing to death.

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
    Desktop Manager 4.7
    07-22-09 11:03 AM
    I am thinking that I have BB 4.5 and BB desktop mgr 4.5 also, since you use BB Desktop 4.7, is your BB 4.7 also?
    07-22-09 11:53 AM
    No. My BlackBerry is 4.5. The version of my BlackBerry OS and of DM are what came with my Berry. I've not changed anything and it's always functioned perfectly before this.
    07-22-09 11:54 AM
    I am/was having the same issue. Every time i'd do a backup (using Desktop Manager v4.7) it would say "error backing up databases" and i pretty much just gave up.

But anyway, here is part of the solution: You need to update your Desktop Manager to version 5.0+ and then you will at least be able to complete a successful backup. You may still have the same errors as you're having with your current DM version but one of the new features of DM v5.0+ is that it will backup everything it can and will tell you what it couldn't after it finishes.

I added the links to download the new DM version at the bottom of this post for you. Hope it helps!

BlackBerry Desktop Manager Download Link
    07-23-09 10:41 PM
    Thank you so much for the link. I will download it soon (after my monthly bandwidth usage is reset to zero). Do I need to uninstall the current version, or can I just install over it?
    07-24-09 09:12 AM
    Jleeblanch - Thanks for posting, I was having some problems with backing up showing back database errors... did a search here on Crackberry and I think you may have saved the day. I'm downloading and installing the new DM right now.
    08-23-09 01:41 PM
    actually you just need to clean your browser cache via the DM in the advanced options and then save the backup. mine does it all the time.
    08-23-09 07:22 PM
    actually you just need to clean your browser cache via the DM in the advanced options and then save the backup. mine does it all the time.
    Thanks... I was also having a problem backing up my bb. And
    I did as you said and cleaned the browser cache in the DM
    advanced options and I was able to do my back up.
    Thanks again.
    08-23-09 08:11 PM
    Go back to version 4.5 of the desktop manager. It backs up without errors.
    08-23-09 08:36 PM
    Jleeblanch - Thanks for posting, I was having some problems with backing up showing back database errors... did a search here on Crackberry and I think you may have saved the day. I'm downloading and installing the new DM right now.
    Glad my post was helpful!

Definitely a great new feature of the newest DM is that it'll successfully complete a backup EVERY TIME and when it's completed it will list (if any) the errors that were encountered in the process. Like i said in my above post, I was stumped on this issue myself for at least a good month or two and I wasn't happy about it because I add & delete random BB stuff on/off my BB ALL the time and i like to have those backups (just in case).

So again, to ANYONE having backup issues, download the newest version of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and that should dry your tears and hopefully save you from potential disaster because you didn't have any current backups saved.

**Just realized I've now posted the link to the Desktop Manager TWICE in this thread lol. Well i guess there can't ever be enough links to all things BlackBerry, right? I didn't think so either Anyway, (for anyone who doesn't already know) when you do click the link, where it says --Please Select A Product--, in most all cases you should ALWAYS choose the most recent version**
    Last edited by Jleeblanch; 08-25-09 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added stuff...
    08-25-09 03:23 PM
    I am thinking that I have BB 4.5 and BB desktop mgr 4.5 also, since you use BB Desktop 4.7, is your BB 4.7 also?
    There is no 4.7 OS for the Curve. OS 4.5.169 is the very latest.

I've gotten those errors before too, but I've been running DM 5.0 for a while now, so the backup always finished. Now I'll know how to eliminate the error altogether. Thanks for the tip!
    08-25-09 03:32 PM
    To comment on the post above...and to clear the air...

As long as the Desktop Manager version you choose is equal to or greater than the OS version you are currently running on your BlackBerry than you're good to go. DO NOT use a Desktop Manager version lower than the OS version on your BlackBerry.
    08-25-09 03:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD