Recently I have had an issue with the error message:

uncaught exception:java.lang.NullPointer Exception

I'm not sure how it started, but I have to do a hard boot by removing the battery to get rid of it every time.

It seems to happen if I have a missed call and select "View Missed Call", when a reminder comes up from address book, and when I go to check an SMS. I am able to recreate the error simply by calling myself from a different number and letting to go as a missed call. When I go to check it, I get the error.

Any ideas as to what this could be and a resolution? I called Verizon and they told me that something was corrupted in my address book, but I don't quite believe that. Verizon tech support isn't the best.

Help me fellow crackberrians!
    02-02-09 12:03 PM
    Uncaught Exception mean there is a problem in the software in the device. This is not a common reported problem, have you added any applications beyond the stock set?

02-02-09 01:10 PM
    I sometimes get that error when using bbm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 01:22 PM
    I would bet you have corruption in your address book database (which both View missed call and SMS would reference.)

Clearing the address book database with DM might clear it up, but you would first need either a known good backup of it to restore from once you clear it, or an address book to sync from on your PC.

I'm not sure how it started, but I have to do a hard boot by removing the battery to get rid of it every time.

It seems to happen if I have a missed call and select "View Missed Call", when a reminder comes up from address book, and when I go to check an SMS. I am able to recreate the error simply by calling myself from a different number and letting to go as a missed call. When I go to check it, I get the error.

Any ideas as to what this could be and a resolution? I called Verizon and they told me that something was corrupted in my address book, but I don't quite believe that. Verizon tech support isn't the best.

02-02-09 01:30 PM
    I get the same message when I try to add one of my friends to my BBM contact list. I show up on his contacts, so he can't send me a request because "Contact Already Exists" but when I send him a request, I get that error...help?
    04-24-09 10:28 AM
    Uncaught exception Java.lang.no pointer exception" error appears on the BlackBerry smartphone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doc ID : KB13323
    Last Modified : 04-06-2009
    Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment
    BlackBerry� 8800 smartphone
    BlackBerry� Curve™ 8330 smartphone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview
    When creating a new contact in the Address Book application on the BlackBerry smartphone, the following Java� error appears:

Uncaught exception Java.lang . no pointer exception

The contact is added to the Address Book, but any subsequent attempts to edit the contact information produce the following error:

Address updated externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed.

Cause
    The Address Book database has become corrupted and must be cleared.

Resolution
    Turn off wireless synchronization. Clear the Address Book database, and synchronize the Address Book data.

To disable wireless synchronization

From the Home screen, click Address Book.
    Open the menu, and select Options.
    Scroll to Wireless Synchronization, open the menu, and select Change Option.
    Click No.
    Open the menu, and select Save.
    To clear the Address Book database

Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer, and open the BlackBerry� Desktop Manager.
    Double-click Backup and Restore, and click Advanced.
    Select the Address Book database, and click Clear.
    Close the Backup and Restore windows.
    To synchronize the Address Book data

With the BlackBerry smartphone connected to the computer, double-click Intellisync� or Synchronize in the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    Click Configure PIM.
    Select the Address Book check box, and make sure that the correct email application is selected.
    Click OK to close the window.
    Click Synchronize Now.
    Note: If you want to enable wireless synchronization again, follow the instructions for disabling wireless synchronization above, and select Yes at step 4.
    04-24-09 10:39 AM
    Excellent. Thanks!
    04-24-09 12:11 PM
    I had the same problem, Verizon is right with tha address book thing. I fought with this for about a month with my t-mobile 8320, I had to delete my address book entirely. I had all my contacts on google sinc. Every thing is fine now. Give it a try. Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-09 10:13 PM
    Uncaught exception Java.lang.no pointer exception" error appears on the BlackBerry smartphone

Cause
    The Address Book database has become corrupted and must be cleared.

So, is there a way to prevent the address book from becoming corrupted?
    05-08-09 08:52 AM
    Just bumping this, hoping someone has an answer.
    05-10-09 10:29 AM
    i had this very same problem. the steps i took to resolve it were as follows:

(1) soft-reset - no change
    (2) battery pull - no change
    (3) delete contacts - no change
    (4) wipe, re-install official t-mobile (4.5.0.81) os - no change
    (5) wipe, install the the most up-to-date 4.5.0.255 OS - RESOLVED
    07-12-09 10:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD