Greetings:

Ok, so I thought I finally had a hand on this media card encryption thingy.

Now I've run into a new problem.

With "Encrypt Media Files" set to on, when I record video with the phone, I am unable to play/watch it on the device. I get the "The media being played is of an unsupported format" error. The video file is being saved with an .rem extension, as is normal with encrypted media files.

Please assist!
    04-05-09 05:27 PM
    well i dont know much about this but i have noticed some video errors my self on it! was looking for a diff camera app!
    04-05-09 07:58 PM
    Sorry to have to bump this, but I really am looking for a solution to this.

Right now if I want to use the video camera I first have to go and put "off" media encryption. Not very convenient for those spontaneous moments.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-09 06:08 AM
    I don't see a work around that. As long as encryption is on, the videos will not play after recording/downloading.

I've e-mailed pictures to myself that contained the .rem file extension in order to remove it. I suppose you could try the same with your videos. I've never attempted that with videos, so I am not entirely certain of success (but I'd certainly give it a whirl).

I find it easiest to have my encryption off, but have my device password protected. My BlackBerry, however, is for personal use.

Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-09 08:54 AM
    OK....

.... so I guess the bottom line is that if you record video with media card encryption set "on", you cannot play back that video on the phone (or anywhere else!).

If this is the case, as it appears to be, it really doesn't make any sense - IMHO.

Anyone from RIM on these forums?

Whats the best way to contact support at RIM?

Thanks for the assist.
    04-06-09 10:46 AM
    OK.. a strange update to this thread.

Yesterday I upgraded my partners AT&T 8310, from v4.2.2.170 to v4.5.0.11. Upgrade went without a hitch. Restored backup file and everything is running as it should.

So I went ahead and tested the video camera with media card encryption turned on, and much to my surprise, I was able to play back the recorded video. And yes, the video file did have the .rem extension.

This indicates to me that its got to be something with my phones software.

Question is, if I backup my phone, backup 3rd part apps, do a clean wipe, and reinstall the OS, will this sort out the problem? Or will it come back when I restore the backups?

Any help appreciated.
    04-07-09 10:06 AM
    couldnt't hurt as long as you backup, it's also free!
    04-07-09 10:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD