Hi guys,
    On my Girlfriends Curve we have noticed that when she receives an Email, it displays it normally in the Email folder. But in the Messages folder it displays it twice. Within the Messages folder the two identical messages seem to differ in that if I try to delete one I get asked if I want to delete on the handheld only or the server aswell, but the other message only asks to confirm delete.
    Within the Email options I have checked that her email settings and general options are the same as mine (i don't and never have had this problem) but the problem still persists.
    Also I have noticed that when she gets an SMS it DOESN'T show in the Messages folder, only the SMS one. On my curve, the Messages folder show ALL messages (PIN's, BB Messengers, Emails, SMS's, etc..)

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mellfee; 08-11-08 at 10:09 PM.
    08-11-08 09:42 PM
    Log into her BIS site and make sure she doesn't have her email send a copy to her Blackberry address.

Also I have noticed that when she gets an SMS it DOESN'T show in the Messages folder, only the SMS one. On my curve, the Messages folder show ALL messages (PIN's, BB Messengers, Emails, SMS's, etc..)
    Her email and SMS are set up for separate logging. Go to Messages>Menu>Options>General Options>SMS and Email Inboxes to set it how she wants.
    08-12-08 02:30 AM
    Log into her BIS site and make sure she doesn't have her email send a copy to her Blackberry address.

Her email and SMS are set up for separate logging. Go to Messages>Menu>Options>General Options>SMS and Email Inboxes to set it how she wants.

Sorry, I was mistaken about the SMS bit. My Emails and SMS's are set separately but I thought the SMS's still came through to the main Messages folder.
    ...they don't.
    So scratch that secondary question.

Thanks for your help Kronk. Her email comes from Gmail but it doesn't appear to be the culprit. Or at least not that I can find. Though for sure it's the INCOMING MAIL that is being duplicated on the blackberry. The problem isn't her sent mail.

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Mellfee; 08-12-08 at 08:46 AM.
    08-12-08 07:29 AM
    Still haven't been able to solve this....

...it's driving me nuts!
    08-12-08 03:16 PM
    Be patient, there is someone on here who can help. Alot of people are at work still. Hang in there!
    08-12-08 03:37 PM
    My email server is .mac

Are there any gmail users on here who have or do experience this doubling up of incoming emails in only the Messages folder?

Is it a normal thing?
    08-14-08 09:38 AM
    This was happening with me before and I just unchecked the send a copy of my mail.
    08-14-08 10:36 AM
    Ok, no solution yet but I have an update. This is really vexing me now...

Let me re-cap;

My girlfriends blackberry curve duplicates INCOMING emails in the MESSAGES folder.

She has just moved to the UK from America and over there everything was working fine.

Her email server is Gmail, the UK phone network is Vodafone.

All her Blackberry settings are the same as my UK blackberry (which doesn't have this problem) and her SMS and EMAIL boxes are set to SEPERATE.

Gmail settings are the same as they were in America, haven't changed. And the "send copy" remains un-ticked....

What I have just noticed tonight is this; Like I said, the messages are only duplicated in the MESSAGES folder. When you look in the EMAIL folder it is just the one copy. So back in the MESSAGES folder I noticed that the blackberry treats them differently. When I highlight the first duplicate > press options > choose "delete" it gives me the deleting option for an email, which is....

Delete message?
    On Mailbox & Handheld
    On Handheld
    Cancel

If I highlight the second duplicate > press options > choose "delete it gives me the deleting option for a text message, which is....

Delete item?
    Delete
    Cancel

Lastly, if you try to reply to the email from within the MESSAGES folder, one duplicate will allow sending, but the other one wont. "Send" just doesn't appear in the options!
    So the blackberry seems to be treating one duplicate like an email, and the other like a text message.
    For that reason I am really beginning to think that it has to be a problem from within the blackberry itself. My girlfriend swears that it only started doing this when she arrived in the UK..... I'm flummoxed.

Does anyone think re-booting might make a difference? I've never actually re-booted a blackberry before. Unless turning it off and on causes a re-boot.
    If re-booting goes deeper than that, then will it affect any of the stored files and messages re-booting?

Thanks, really hope someone can help...

Mellfee
    08-14-08 05:11 PM
    Should it make any difference to the blackberry whether the Gmail is IMAP or POP?
    08-14-08 09:03 PM
    Guys, after much swapping of sim cards and email account settings I think I have isolated the problem to Gmail.

If Gmail is the problem though I cannot work out what to to do about it.

Forwarding is DISABLED.

POP download - 1. Status: POP is enabled for all mail that has arrived since 8/7/07

IMAP Access - 1. Status: IMAP is enabled
    08-14-08 09:17 PM
    POP and IMAP shouldn't make a difference in my experience...

Try deleting the service books (Options, Advanced Options, Service Books)...then log into the BIS site and re-send the Service Books...

A reset will always do you good...Alt+R-Shift+Del will perform a soft reset (no info will be lost, just like rebooting a computer). TIP: I reset my device (8830) once a day...if not, at least every other day.

If you want a more in-depth reset, turn off the phone and pull the battery out for a few seconds. Again, no info will be lost.

A personal troubleshooting step I've taken before is to delete the Email account from the BIS site, re-send the service books and set it up again and finally, re-send the service books yet again.

Are there any filters set up on the GMail account in the BIS site?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-08 09:18 PM
    I just remembered, if your g/f is using IMAP it is best to have POP disabled.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-08 09:19 PM
    Thanks Thorn,

I tried all of this. The Email now appears only once in the MESSAGES folder, but not only does it now not appear in the EMAIL folder, but within the MESSAGES folder it is still being treated as a simple message and will not allow us to reply to it.

Out of the frying pan, and in to the fire kind of thing.....

It's so bizarre. I feel like it's the phone doing it. But if I link my email account to her phone it works fine. So am I right in assuming it HAS to be gmail or vodafone...?
    08-15-08 12:36 PM
    UPDATE:

Nope, no we're back to two in the MESSAGES..... One in the EMAILS. But there is no little red asterisk above the EMAIL folder icon to show it has a new email.
    08-15-08 12:44 PM
    I believe there is a setting that allows you to only show e-mail's in the e-mail folder, sort of like not showing missed calls in the message folder, I'll look into it and post when I find it
    08-15-08 03:00 PM
    Thanks Brian. I can't find anything like that. If you do let me know...
    08-16-08 12:01 PM
    My email server is .mac

Are there any gmail users on here who have or do experience this doubling up of incoming emails in only the Messages folder?

Is it a normal thing?
    I don't use Gmail, but is this what you're looking for?: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/gmai...lackberry-853/
    08-16-08 12:10 PM
    I took this from another site.
    Maybe it will work for you.

Procedures
    1. Log in to the BlackBerry Internet Service account.
    2. Click filters beside the integrated Gmail account.
    3. Click add filter.
    4. Name the filter.
    5. Click the drop-down menu beside apply filter when: and select the from field.
    6. In the contains field, type the Gmail email account.
    7. Select do not forward messages to handheld.
    8. Click add filter.
    Note: Creation of this filter will prevent you from intentionally sending messages from the Gmail account to the BlackBerry device. If you want to send a message to the BlackBerry device, use an alternate email account.

Additional Info

Messages sent from the BlackBerry device using the Gmail service book are received on the BlackBerry device as new messages. They are stored in the Gmail Inbox as a conversation. The sent messages posted to the Gmail account by the BlackBerry Internet Service integration appear as new messages in the Gmail Inbox.
    Gmail uses threaded messages. All replies are added to the original message and sent back to the Inbox.
    08-16-08 01:43 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys. My g/f has gone out for the night but I have just tried applying the filter. I've sent an emil to her and I'll post as soon as I get a result.

Just for the record, when I send a Service Book from her BIS it comes through to her folders fine. If that is the case and it also is the case that if I link my mac account to her Blackberry it works fine, would you agree that I can assume it is a fault somewhere between the Blackberry and her gmail account?
    08-16-08 05:01 PM
    People should really look into Yahoo mail. I have it pushed to my berry and never have any issues. They also offer some of the best spam protection around. There is countless threads with GMail issues...
    08-16-08 05:12 PM
    People should really look into Yahoo mail. I have it pushed to my berry and never have any issues. They also offer some of the best spam protection around. There is countless threads with GMail issues...

I've got a .mac account which I swear by but it doesn't come for free. I can suggest yahoo to my g/f but she'll probably be reluctant to move as she hasn't long since moved from excite and she relies heavily on a lot of people having her contact details.

You know what women are like......( )
    08-16-08 05:25 PM
    Sent emails being picked up by the blackberry isn't a GMail issue, it's the due to the way that BIS works and the way that GMail functions with out using folders. GMail is designed to use Labels and to keep emails threaded. This allows for searching your entire history easily. Everything being in one "folder" makes it impossible for BIS to see the difference without a filter, which is easy to configure.
    08-16-08 07:51 PM
    Ok well I tried the filter but it hasn't helped. I suspected it wouldn't as the issue is with INCOMING email as opposed to the usual complaint about confirmation emails appearing in the inbox.

The two weirdest things are that it only started to happen once she arrived in the UK. And although it duplicates the emails it treats one like an email but the other more like a text in the way that it allows you to delete it. The latter doesn't even have any kind of option available to it other than save draft or delete.
    08-17-08 08:22 AM
    Maybe a corrupt message database in the BB. The move from US to UK may be a coincidence. Back up the device and then delete the device message database in the advanced backup in DM.

If that fixes it, good, but you've lost the message archive on the BB (as it's corrupt and there's no repair utility). If not, restore the messages from the backup and think again...
    08-17-08 08:59 AM
    People should really look into Yahoo mail.
    There's no equivalent to Google Apps accounts for Yahoo, is there, where they will host your own domain email for free?
    08-17-08 09:02 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD