I just got an 8310 Curve, and was trying to follow the directions for setting up a personal e-mail address, but when I get to e-mail setup, the only two choices I have available are to connect via a BES or skip e-mail setup, and those are only under mail setup in the setup wizard - there's no "personal email setup" icon as described in the getting started guide.

Am I missing a piece of my OS somewhere? Do I need to enable something?

I am on a Mac, so I'm usng the PocketMac tool which I was linked to off RIM's page to sync my contacts and phone.
    I did not check on PocketMac to have it sync mail. Do I need to set it up from there first?

Anybody else had this problem? Any ideas?
    05-07-08 09:48 AM
    the personal email setup icon only showed up for me after i got my data plan. If you don't have the data plan, i'm not sure if theres a way to set up the personal email. and for me, even after i had the icon show up, i still wasn't able to add my work email (thru an exchange server) or my hotmail (microsoft sucks), which are my 2 main email addresses.

otherwise, if you already have a data plan, then i'm not sure what the problem would be.
    05-07-08 11:03 AM
    do you have icons missing, maybe setup wizard was set as BES instead of BIS. Otherwise did you register the handset?
    Last edited by dream weave; 05-07-08 at 11:55 AM. Reason: m
    05-07-08 11:54 AM
    the only two choices I have available are to connect via a BES or skip e-mail setup, and those are only under mail setup in the setup wizard
    This usually means you don't have a BB email or data plan.
    05-07-08 12:02 PM
    I just got an 8310 Curve, and was trying to follow the directions for setting up a personal e-mail address, but when I get to e-mail setup, the only two choices I have available are to connect via a BES or skip e-mail setup, and those are only under mail setup in the setup wizard - there's no "personal email setup" icon as described in the getting started guide.

I am on a Mac, so I'm usng the PocketMac tool which I was linked to off RIM's page to sync my contacts and phone.
    I did not check on PocketMac to have it sync mail. Do I need to set it up from there first?

This is Geyser1
    There is nothing to worry about!
    You just have a different BB. Some BB s are madde that way. If the third option, that is I want to add or create an email address is not there on your BB then you need to use a website to setup emails for your BB.

The following are the websites that u can use for the different networks -
    o2email.co.uk for O2
    blackberry.orange.co.u for Orange
    instantemail.t-mobile.co.uk for T-mobile
    mobileemail.vodafone.net for Vodafone

Remember that u need to choose create new account and follow the instructions. The pin and imei is on the side of the box. Remember that the registration can be done only once so be careful

Once you have added the eamil address on the website it will automatically relay the info to your device.

Also remember that the website will only work if you have a data plan on your BB. The best way you can tell this is if you have GPRS/EDGE in capital letters in the top right of the home screen on the BB. Anything else and you must contact the network operater.

Hope this helps.,.....Enjoy your BB
    05-07-08 03:34 PM

Hello there. I had the same exact issue - setup only had 2 options like you say, and I did not have a Browser icon, either, so I couldn't get online. I was a bit worried but all I did to fix the problem was turn the device off and then on again. Ouila! Had the Browser icon and all the goodies.
    05-07-08 03:50 PM
    pull the battery and retry. provided you do have a data plan.
    05-07-08 04:09 PM
    This is Geyser1
    There is nothing to worry about!
    You just have a different BB. Some BB s are madde that way. If the third option, that is I want to add or create an email address is not there on your BB then you need to use a website to setup emails for your BB.

The following are the websites that u can use for the different networks -
    o2email.co.uk for O2
    blackberry.orange.co.u for Orange
    instantemail.t-mobile.co.uk for T-mobile
    mobileemail.vodafone.net for Vodafone

Remember that u need to choose create new account and follow the instructions. The pin and imei is on the side of the box. Remember that the registration can be done only once so be careful

Once you have added the eamil address on the website it will automatically relay the info to your device.

Also remember that the website will only work if you have a data plan on your BB. The best way you can tell this is if you have GPRS/EDGE in capital letters in the top right of the home screen on the BB. Anything else and you must contact the network operater.

Hope this helps.,.....Enjoy your BB
    No offense but your information is wrong. Not to mention that the OP is an AT&T customer. None of the web sites you listed will help. And if I remember my info on AT&T correctly, they cannot access a BIS web site to set up their email until they create a username and password from the email set up on their BB.
    Last edited by sunkast; 05-07-08 at 04:44 PM.
    05-07-08 04:40 PM
    i had this same exact problem. You need to call AT&T and make sure you have the BLACKBERRY DATA PLAN. If you dont have it, that icon will not pop up.
    05-07-08 04:44 PM
    Sunkast, are you saying if I'm a new AT&T user, I can't just use the 'Setup personal email' option / icon on my new Blackberry, without first logging into the BIS website from a pc?

Well, you learn something new everyday...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-08 04:44 PM
    Sunkast, are you saying if I'm a new AT&T user, I can't just use the 'Setup personal email' option / icon on my new Blackberry, without first logging into the BIS website from a pc?

Well, you learn something new everyday...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I was under the impression that AT&T customers could not log into the AT&T BIS web site from their computer without creating a login account from their BB using the set up email icon. That if they went to the AT&T BIS site using their computer they are greeted to "Your account is not accessible via a html browser." That's what I've gathered from reading other posts.

Am I wrong?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/bis-...-browser-6280/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/chan...curve-t-23503/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/bla...roblems-33593/
    Last edited by sunkast; 05-07-08 at 05:06 PM.
    05-07-08 04:54 PM
    I was under the impression that AT&T customers could not log into the AT&T BIS web site from their computer without creating an login account from their BB. That they would get an error. That's what I've gathered from reading other posts. And that if they went to the AT&T BIS site they are greeted to "Your account is not accessible via a html browser."

Am I wrong?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/bis-...-browser-6280/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/chan...curve-t-23503/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/bla...roblems-33593/
    this is true. i can't create a BIS account over the website, it tells me that i need to set it up first on my BB.
    05-07-08 05:06 PM
    Hi All,

I have a AT&T phone and really all you need to do is take your battery out and put it back in then you are set. Giving the fact that you have the DATA plan setup with ATT. Thanks
    09-12-08 01:15 PM
    I have the same problem...am trying to set up my email but my only options on the setup wizard say setup for BES or skip this step.

I tried going to the BIS site for rogers and entering my PIN and IMEI and it tells me that my blackberry is registered with a deiffernt service provider and to re-register and verify the url matches the one provided by my service provider.

I did a battery pull to see if that changed it but nothing. I know I have a blackberry data plan cause its listed in a blackberry data plan section of the website and if not then the woman gave me some crazy non blackberry plan thats not listed for the same price.

gprs and edge show up in the corner.

I'm new to the blackberyy world and to data plans so I have no clue what to do.

please help me
    09-12-08 08:34 PM
    I have the same problem...am trying to set up my email but my only options on the setup wizard say setup for BES or skip this step.

I tried going to the BIS site for rogers and entering my PIN and IMEI and it tells me that my blackberry is registered with a deiffernt service provider and to re-register and verify the url matches the one provided by my service provider.

I did a battery pull to see if that changed it but nothing. I know I have a blackberry data plan cause its listed in a blackberry data plan section of the website and if not then the woman gave me some crazy non blackberry plan thats not listed for the same price.

please help me
    Did you sync your device your computer prior to setting up the emal? When you installed you DM did you select the BIS or BES integration. If you selected BES and BIS, and syncd, I wonder if this has anything to do with it.
    09-12-08 08:37 PM
    sync my device to computer prior to setting up the email? uhhh no
    installed DM? what's that

clearly I know nothing about this world and lingo yet
    09-12-08 09:23 PM
    Desktop Manager is DM, guess yo have done sync'd either.

Sync is a method of putting your contact, notes, task, and calendar nto out outlook and visa versa
    09-12-08 09:32 PM
    ya no syncing...and i knew what that is just wasn't sure what u meant by DM
    09-12-08 09:51 PM

please help me
    When I got my Curve about 4 weeks ago I had the same problem, I kept trying and nothing worked. I had called Rogers 2 days before and signed up for the $30/6G plan so as far as I knew I had data available but I did not have access to BIS.
    I called Rogers Data dept (1-866-931-DATA) for BlackBerry and was advised that when they added "data" to my account it was for other smartphones and not for the BlackBerry. The rep fixed it while I was on the phone, problem solved.
    Something to look for>>>if you have a data plan working on your phone, "EDGE" should show up in Capitals not small letters, hope this helps.
    09-13-08 05:27 AM
    At&T site is att.com/blackberrystart

I think, I could be wrong, but my husband created a account there first, before longing in on his phone, but I COULD very well be mistaken.

(At any rate, it really sounds as if you don't have the right data pain, as been said, it HAS to be black berry data in order to use this e-mail feature, not media net, or any other PDA plan, as I had this same problem, if you do have a blackberry data pain, call AT&T to make sure that your account is set up correctly, and you can also try re registering you phone by going to settings, options, advanced options, host routing table-click this-then click "register now". And also see if you have any service books, this is in the same part as the host routing table, if you don't see any service books, you can try to send them, if you don't get anything you will need to call AT&T)

Once you device is registered, you will get a thank you message, and once your e-mail is set up, you will get a "Your e-mail has been registered, you should start receiving messages in 20 mins"
    Last edited by Silverwings2005; 09-13-08 at 05:58 AM.
    09-13-08 05:51 AM
    I can send email but I can't receive them on work email account. On BIS I can configure the outgoing settings but there isn't an incoming setting on there. Am I missing something?
    09-13-08 08:55 AM
    I can send email but I can't receive them on work email account. On BIS I can configure the outgoing settings but there isn't an incoming setting on there. Am I missing something?
    Try a bettery reset from a powered on position. If this does not work, try resending your service books. Options>advanced options>host routing table>menu button>register now. If this does not work, login to your BIS account for your carrier and delete the mail source and set it up again.
    09-13-08 09:02 AM
    When I got my Curve about 4 weeks ago I had the same problem, I kept trying and nothing worked. I had called Rogers 2 days before and signed up for the $30/6G plan so as far as I knew I had data available but I did not have access to BIS.
    I called Rogers Data dept (1-866-931-DATA) for BlackBerry and was advised that when they added "data" to my account it was for other smartphones and not for the BlackBerry. The rep fixed it while I was on the phone, problem solved.
    Something to look for>>>if you have a data plan working on your phone, "EDGE" should show up in Capitals not small letters, hope this helps.
    I guess my only option left is to call rogers...this will be my third call in 4 days, hopefully I don't come across anything else and have to call again because this is becoming slightly annoying. Thanks for the data number.
    09-13-08 05:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD