I am interested in purchasing a BB Curve 8330, but I do not want the email plan. How can I go about getting one without having the email plan?? I tried the verizon wireless website and it won't let you purchase one without that plan. I would appreciate any and all answers. Thanks!!!
    07-11-09 10:37 PM
    your best bet is probably ebay, craigslist ( just be careful) or maybe the buy/sell forums on howardforums.com I hope it helps...
    07-11-09 10:42 PM
    You're going to get a LOT of different info on this subject. It would be better placed in the Verizon forum rather than the 8330 since the topic is specific to the carrier, not the device.

The question you will get the most will be: WhyTF would you get a blackberry just as a phone?!?!
    07-11-09 10:43 PM
    I am interested in purchasing a BB Curve 8330, but I do not want the email plan. How can I go about getting one without having the email plan?? I tried the verizon wireless website and it won't let you purchase one without that plan. I would appreciate any and all answers. Thanks!!!
    It's not going to happen on VZW, you cannot activate any Blackberry w/o a data plan, not online and not through customer service either. You also cannot call and cancel your data plan after a few days, either it can't be deleted or it will be added back before your next bill cycle hits.

I'm not sure how useful a Curve or any BB would be without data anyway........
    Last edited by armedtank; 07-11-09 at 10:53 PM.
    07-11-09 10:49 PM
    Oh, and you can't get one to use just as a phone??!!
    07-11-09 10:49 PM
    your best bet is probably ebay, craigslist ( just be careful) or maybe the buy/sell forums on howardforums.com I hope it helps...
    I have been looking on ebay, but I don't understand how to activate it after I would get it?? I have been reading some phones on ebay are locked and some unlocked and I do not know what that means. After I purchase it, don't I have to have it set up through a carrier? Thanks!
    07-11-09 10:52 PM
    Blondie, you may be a little ahead of yourself. I would do a LOT of reading before buying ANYTHING. If you're not familiar with purchasing a phone and how it would get activated, I'd learn about that first.

To get you started. Locked means it can only be used on the carrier it was built for (Verizon only on Verizon, AT&T only on AT&T), Unlocked means it can be used on any carrier--with some serious variables thrown in. a CDMA phone that is unlocked won't work quite the same way on a GSM network.

If you bought a phone (any phone, not just blackberry) on ebay, or CL, or even a friend just gave you one...you'd call or go in to your cell provider and have them activate the phone. Verizon will not activate the device for you without the data plan.
    07-11-09 10:56 PM
    Blondie, you may be a little ahead of yourself. I would do a LOT of reading before buying ANYTHING. If you're not familiar with purchasing a phone and how it would get activated, I'd learn about that first.

To get you started. Locked means it can only be used on the carrier it was built for (Verizon only on Verizon, AT&T only on AT&T), Unlocked means it can be used on any carrier--with some serious variables thrown in. a CDMA phone that is unlocked won't work quite the same way on a GSM network.

If you bought a phone (any phone, not just blackberry) on ebay, or CL, or even a friend just gave you one...you'd call or go in to your cell provider and have them activate the phone. Verizon will not activate the device for you without the data plan.

I won't be buying anything until I have all the facts, believe me. I know how to get a phone activated, it's getting it activated without the data plan that I am trying to figure out. So far, it's not looking good.
    07-11-09 11:03 PM
    There are some people on this forum in the past that have said they can successfully do it, but no one has ever said HOW, which leads me to believe it didn't really happen. I'm not Christian, I need proof for me to believe stuff.

But again, you really want a blackberry just as a phone???
    07-11-09 11:06 PM
    There are some people on this forum in the past that have said they can successfully do it, but no one has ever said HOW, which leads me to believe it didn't really happen. I'm not Christian, I need proof for me to believe stuff.

But again, you really want a blackberry just as a phone???

LOL, I would also need proof to believe it! Yeah, I really want a blackberry just as a phone. I mean, I don't need to pay $30.00 a month for the data plan, I have a laptop.
    07-11-09 11:12 PM
    Short answer: Not on VZW. Sprint, I believe, is willing to take your business without a data plan, but then again they've also got the SEP plans, so probably not.

VZW will know if you have a BB, and make sure you have a data plan. The longest I've heard of people going without was like 2, 3 months, and that was by them cancelling it and it being automatically applied back up.

If you want a phone, that maybe texts and has a calendar, why not get a phone that does that which ISN'T a BB? They're great phones, but there's no point to having a BB if you're not going to use it to its full potential. It's DESIGNED to receive e-mail and data from online. The BB servers are totally designed for push e-mail; it's what sets us apart from every. other. smartphone.

So, what was the deal again?
    07-11-09 11:15 PM
    Short answer: Not on VZW. Sprint, I believe, is willing to take your business without a data plan, but then again they've also got the SEP plans, so probably not.

VZW will know if you have a BB, and make sure you have a data plan. The longest I've heard of people going without was like 2, 3 months, and that was by them cancelling it and it being automatically applied back up.

If you want a phone, that maybe texts and has a calendar, why not get a phone that does that which ISN'T a BB? They're great phones, but there's no point to having a BB if you're not going to use it to its full potential. It's DESIGNED to receive e-mail and data from online. The BB servers are totally designed for push e-mail; it's what sets us apart from every. other. smartphone.

So, what was the deal again?
    I want a blackberry without having to have the data plan, thats the deal, I like the blackberry curve and want one.
    07-11-09 11:21 PM
    Then you need to use another carrier like AT&T or T mobile.
    07-12-09 05:34 AM
    You will NOT be able to activate a BlackBerry on Verizon without a Data Plan. Simple as that.

Change carriers or use a regular phone. Smartphones and BlackBerry devices are REQUIRED to have a Data Plan on Verizon.
    07-12-09 05:55 AM
    I was under the impression that if the device was manufactured prior to November 2008, it can be activated sans data plan? Or is that no longer true?

I don't necessarily recommend the Curve for the OP's purposes, though. The least useful function on my Curve is the phone - I have so many issues with call quality and reception with mine that I would have pitched it out the window long ago if it was solely a phone (and if I didn't love it so much)!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 09:02 AM
    I was under the impression that if the device was manufactured prior to November 2008, it can be activated sans data plan? Or is that no longer true?

I don't necessarily recommend the Curve for the OP's purposes, though. The least useful function on my Curve is the phone - I have so many issues with call quality and reception with mine that I would have pitched it out the window long ago if it was solely a phone (and if I didn't love it so much)
    I believe that smartphones RELEASED prior to the designated date (not sure of the exact date and yours may be the correct date) can be activated without a data plan.

But not BlackBerry devices.
    07-12-09 07:11 PM
    Phones ACTIVATED prior to 11/2008 do not require a data plan. The fact of the matter is you can ***** about it till the cows come home, Alltel, Sprint and MOST DEFINITELY Verizon will not activate the berry without the data because that is the way RIM wants it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

So, even If I activate it at T-Mobile...I still have to have the data plan?
    07-13-09 11:30 PM
    The 8330 is a CDMA device. T-Mobile is a GSM carrier. You will not be able to activate a CDMA device on a GSM network.
    07-14-09 06:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD