Hi,

I've been using a Palm OS device for many years (currently 700p) and on Friday picked up a curve (verizon). There are several email issues that are pushing me to go back to the Treo unless there are solutions or workarounds; I'm hopeful some here may know.

1. Using BIS & imap - I can't get my full inbox, only the new messages appear. Is this the way it's designed?

2. Polling using BIS / imap takes place irregularly. I've seen it go for 15 minutes and for 4 minutes. I can't find any way to speed it up or it make it instant.

3. Can't get true imap functionality - when I delete on my curve the email is still in my inbox.

I'm sure these are easy to configure but I've looked through the forums and other areas and can't locate solutions.

Any suggestions?
    07-21-08 07:16 AM
    Hi there.

I'm new here myself and my curve is arriving in a few hours but my GF got a pearl on Friday so I've got to play around with the email on it. Basically BB use what is called Push email. They dont poll the IMAP server at certain intervals. What happens is when an email comes in it gets pushed to the device. You wont see the email that is already on the IMAP server, just the new ones that come in.

If you happen to use gmail you could always install the gmail app to see archived mail.

Also, when you delete an email you have an option to either delete it on the device or delete it from both the device and the server.
    07-21-08 07:26 AM
    this thread may be useful for ya...
    search for thread titled: gmail users - gmail app or bis push?
    (sorry, I can't post links yet)
    07-21-08 08:05 AM
    Hi there.

Also, when you delete an email you have an option to either delete it on the device or delete it from both the device and the server.
    Thanks Gabbott. Would you know where the options are to set this?

Also, Would anyone know if there is a way to have the email pushed faster, ie, email is in my inbox and it can take 10-15 minutes to see it on the curve. Any way to make this more instantaneous?

I've also been trying to find where to set the device so it vibrates when email comes in.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
    07-21-08 08:06 AM
    this thread may be useful for ya...
    search for thread titled: gmail users - gmail app or bis push?
    (sorry, I can't post links yet)
    Thanks redeye. Gmail is not my primary email, however, I'm surethis will be helpful in the future.
    07-21-08 08:41 AM
    To change the vibrate feature you're going to want to edit your profiles. Go to profiles, scroll down to advanced, select the profile you wish to edit by hovering over it and hitting the menu key, select edit. Then select the messages email address you wish to edit. From there it will give you a slew of options. The very first option will let you select whether or not it vibrates, rings or both.

Hope that helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-08 08:42 AM
    who is your email provider??

C'mon you can't be serious about returning it for these MINOR issues??

This is my first BB , it really does take a while to get used to but I promise you will not regret it!! answers to EVERYTHING you need are right here

Good luck
    07-21-08 08:48 AM
    To change the vibrate feature you're going to want to edit your profiles. Go to profiles, scroll down to advanced, select the profile you wish to edit by hovering over it and hitting the menu key, select edit. Then select the messages email address you wish to edit. From there it will give you a slew of options. The very first option will let you select whether or not it vibrates, rings or both.

Hope that helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This worked well, thanks!
    07-21-08 09:14 AM
    Push e-mail on the BIS is doen by the RIM servers retrieving your e-mail from your server (IMAP, POP etc) and sending it to your BB. The polling is 15 inutes unless there is activity, then the polling is faster (not sure of timing but looks to be around 5 min).
    I have a POP account for my e-mail and when I leave my e-mail app on my desktop runing it retrieves e-mail every minute and removes the message from the server. My BB almost NEVER sees these messages (sometimes the timing is right and I catch one) If I am leaving I have to ensure my e-mail app is closed om my desktop.
    07-21-08 09:16 AM
    who is your email provider??

C'mon you can't be serious about returning it for these MINOR issues??

This is my first BB , it really does take a while to get used to but I promise you will not regret it!! answers to EVERYTHING you need are right here

Good luck
    Email account is tied to my work place.

I've used my Treo for soooo many years; it's hard to get used to using the trackball with many menus and no hot keys. It's a different way of working.

Probably the biggest issue will be getting the email as quickly as others seem to get it. Email appears in my inbox on my PC but takes many minutes to get to the curve.
    07-21-08 09:19 AM
    I found that the longer my BIS was set up, the faster it got sent to my BB...sometimes I get mail on my BB before it even shows up in my inbox (I use Gmail). It was a bit sluggish at first but it seemed to get faster after I let it sit for a bit.

Also, I find that I don't like setting it up so that it automatically deletes emails from my BB AND my server. Sometimes an email comes into my BB and either has an attachment or HTMl that isn't useful to me until I'm at the computer...in that case I just delete it off my handheld and leave it on the server. I love this feature.

Don't give up on your curve you'll love it soon!
    07-21-08 10:09 AM
    I also get my email on my BB before Gmail recieves it. Also the more you use your email the more often RIM will poll the servers.

you can always set up a msg rule to forward everything from your work outlook to a BB email address.
    07-21-08 10:30 AM
    I think the problem is your email provider rather than RIM. On my yahoo/Gmail accounts, my 8330 gets its notification a split second before it appears onscreen with Gmail, or before Y! messenger displays a new message alert.

As far as getting your entire inbox on the phone, When you set up your BIS account for the 1st time, you have the option to have it sync your entire inbox. Customer Service can also do this again for you.
    07-21-08 10:42 AM
    Email account is tied to my work place.

I've used my Treo for soooo many years; it's hard to get used to using the trackball with many menus and no hot keys. It's a different way of working.

Probably the biggest issue will be getting the email as quickly as others seem to get it. Email appears in my inbox on my PC but takes many minutes to get to the curve.

Long time 700 and 755 user here. As far as hot keys go, you need to go into phone (green key)> options> dial from home screen and turn "off"

Then from the today/ home screen, you can hit "b" for browser, "T" for task and so forth. You will have to go to BB help for the other short cuts. The only thing you can't do that Im aware of is customize the keys like you could with the Treo. It does take some getting some getting use to though. I actually activated my treo for about 30min the other day, but its so slow compared to the BB that I went right back. Good luck.
    07-21-08 11:26 AM
    i beleive it also depends on what service you are using for your email. gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc.. i know that yahoo and gmail are instant push, as soon as the mail comes in, its pushed to your device. i dont beleive that any other services for email are pushed this way. some may, some might not. but the 2 i listed for sure will. when you log onto your BIS settings, there will be an option to leave a copy of the message on the server. this is the only way, barring the BES system, that i know that you can truly reconcile your phone to your server email. you wont be able to access archived email however unless you use one of the programs given by the service itself. gmail app, yahoo go, etc. as somone stated earlier though, i'd rather leave the messages on the server as well. if you run out of memory on your berry, and it starts to "make" room, you may lose somehting valuable.
    07-21-08 12:51 PM
    i also forgot to add that if you happen to have an email service that doesnt push, you could just create a gmail acct, and have the email that isnt pushing forwarded to that acct. this way you would get it as it comes in.
    07-21-08 12:53 PM
    Thanks to everyone who responded ... this has been extremely helpful!
    07-22-08 06:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD