My friend has an 8320 with no BIS plan. The screen says edge, not EDGE. She does have a data plan (unlimited before they changed) but what's odd is this.
    I can see my local wifi, it shows connected.
    But if I shut off my ATT connection to test, I get no wifi.

This suggests that her wireless connection is not working and all data's going out over the ATT data network.

I had this phone previously and wiped it before giving it to my friend (and removed old policy) . Data works through ATT, but I am pretty sure no wifi. But the phone's wifi did work under my old sim(which did have BES, etc).

What else can I look at or check. I got her the phone cheaply since it did support wifi, but if I can't get wifi to work, it does seem rather pointless. ATT data works fine, but wifi is faster for some stuff and I'd rather use it when available.

I can't get support out of BB obviously since I'm not paying for a BIS plan. From my point of view it was just intended to be a phone with ATT that had wifi.

Can I do what I've written? Set up wrong perhaps? I'm not sure where to go from here.

MOD's, please move this if I'm not in the right forum... This is for an 8320 (i.e. not my profile's 8700)
    Last edited by myobfool; 10-03-10 at 09:37 PM.
    10-03-10 09:34 PM
    First of all, the phone will never get EDGE, will only be edge, EDGE means you're connect to RIM's servers, which can't happen without a BIS/BES plan.

So the only thing that will work is the browser, RIM apps (BBM, push email, Facebook, AIM etc.) won't.

Now, when you shut off the Att connection does wifi shut off, and disconnect, or does it just seem not to work? Have you tried changing the browser to "hotspot" when you shut off the connection? That will be needed to browse on only wifi. From the browser: Options> Browser Configuration/General Settings (something like that).

If that's the case then you can setup a bookmark for each browser configuration. When setting up the bookmark you can set what browser it uses. So you have a Mobile bookmark of Google.com and a Wifi bookmark. Clicking either one will start the respective browser for whatever you want to use.
    10-03-10 10:12 PM
    Yep that worked. interesting I did not know that. Is there any way to change the media net browser to not dump onto the boring media net site. I also don't know if there's a way to have Opera go both ways, i.e. so it can use hotspot browser.

It looks like Opera's hard coded to go one way or the other and not both. i.e. att or hotspot, but no easy way to go back and forth.

If not opera are there any other browsers that support easy switching between wifi and att data.

So no BB apps work under wifi. Is that since they all relay off of RIM servers.

Thanks a lot, I did not find this under other posts.
    10-04-10 07:05 PM
    So no BB apps work under wifi. Is that since they all relay off of RIM servers.
    Yep. Most apps require a data plan. And ALL the BlackBerry apps (email, BBMaps, BBM, BlackBerry Browser, Facebook, Twitter, App World) and ALL the Google Apps (GMail, Google Maps) require a BlackBerry Data Plan in order to work even over WiFi.
    10-04-10 07:34 PM
    As for the media browser start page: In the same options screen that you changed it from Internet to Hotspot browser at the bottom is place to set your Home Page address. You can also choose what your the first page open to (Start Page). Not sure how all the different browsers work on Att, but that setting should be there somewhere.

OperaMini I don't believe needs a RIM's servers to function. It should work either way, I'm sure it uses whatever is the best connection. Other than that I'm not quite sure, I use Bolt, and don't use it very often so don't have many issues with it. The default browser suits my needs so I don't know much about how Bolt or OperaMini works.

As for apps that work with no BIS/BES plan, there are many that do, it's just the RIM apps don't like you've found out. As for finding out which ones work take a look at this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/wif...s-list-462539/
    10-04-10 07:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD