Greetings all.

I'm a new Blackberry user. Thanks to all of you that have posted your tips and tricks on here, they have made my learning curve (No pun intended) very pleasant.

My question is this. I'd like to get an unlocked Curve for my wife. If I wait on Verizon, I'll have to wait until mid 2010 to upgrade. I've looked on Ebay and there are multiple sellers selling unlocked Curves for a reasonable price.

If I buy one, how easy is it to activate? Anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks!
    05-18-09 09:31 PM
    First off, locked or unlocked wont matter on Verizon. you need to make sure it is a verizon branded curve before you buy it.

also before you buy it, request the pin number and ESN number, and call verizon to verify it is not on the negative list (lost or stolen)

once verizon clears it, and you are satisfied with the price, make the purchase and once its yours you just call em up and have them activate it for you!

pretty easy, just remember to have the esn checked BEFORE purchasing.
    05-18-09 09:34 PM
    Who does the device belong to originally. Second of all VZW will not allow an unlocked device on their network.
    05-18-09 09:34 PM
    If it is not a blacklisted phone (which means that the ESN or PIN has been flagged because it was once stolen, defective, etc) Then activating it is not very hard.

If it isn't a Verizon carrier who had it last, but it is a working phone, you shouldn't have a problem. Non-Verizon not so good, they don't allow it.
    05-18-09 09:36 PM
    Thanks all. So if I understand correctly, as long as I buy one of the BBs that are advertised on e-bay as brand new unlocked Verizon BBs I should be GTG as long as the PIN and ESN (?) are ok with VZW.

I'd post a link, buy I seem to be about 9 short of the required 10.
    05-18-09 10:19 PM
    no no no. don't look at just the title. make sure the phone belonged to the verizon network. people put almost anything in their titles to get hits on the ebay search. make sure it was on verizon and if so request the ESN and PIN number. i don't know why the PIN wouldn't do all by it self but its always safe. if they refuse to give you either of those numbers, they have something to hide. stay away!
    05-18-09 10:25 PM
    you are correct, you need to make sure it's a verizon blackberry branded phone. (CDMA) Unlocked or locked is irrelevant, and what's most important is if the ESN is blacklisted. However, if the seller is guaranteeing that the ESN is clean...

A. make sure there is atleast a 7 day money back guarantee on the ESN and default warranty.

B. sometimes the seller might give you the ESN if you email them on the auction question area and you can call verizon to see if they are blacklisted, or if the ESN is clean. I've done that a few times.
    05-18-09 10:28 PM
    Take a look at this. I've found it pretty helpful:

If you want to buy online from a private seller, eBay or Craig's List, keep the following in mind and do this before you make any kind of a bid or an offer:
    Ask the seller:-If new and in a sealed box?
    -For photo evidence.
    -If new, is the device locked to a carrier and if so which one?
    -For the IMEI number. If provided, call the carrier to make sure the device has not been reported stolen. If the seller won't provide, think long and hard.
    -Also ask the carrier if the device has been released?

If the device is used, in addition to the above ask:-What is the guarantee it will work when it arrives?
    -Is there an IT Policy installed? This can make full usage difficult.
    -Has there been any water damage (internal water sensor stickers intact)?
    -Are the pictures in the ad the actual device or a "sample"? Satisfy yourself you know what you are getting.

Is It Really Unlocked:If you are told a used BB is unlocked, ask the seller to take a photograph of the following screen, which should prove what they are saying. Note that you should also do this when the device is received to make sure it is unlocked:
    1) On the BlackBerry device:
    Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card.
    2) In that screen type MEPD on the keyboard.
    3) A new menu will pop up.
    4) Look for Network.
    5) If your device is really unlocked, you should see Disabled or Inactive.
    6) If Active is displayed next to Network, it is still locked to a carrier.

Note that CDMA devices cannot be unlocked. The above applies to GSM devices and hybrids such as the Storm (and possibly the 8830 World Edition), which include SIM slots and work on both CDMA and GSM. AT&T and Verizon devices that are unlocked will not receive a 3G signal outside their networks.
    05-18-09 10:29 PM
    Ive honestly never herd of a BB Curve from Verizon that was Unlocked? Its a cdma Phone. And they have made other Curves for the other carriers. So im lost on this one.
    05-18-09 11:05 PM
    Ive honestly never herd of a BB Curve from Verizon that was Unlocked? Its a cdma Phone. And they have made other Curves for the other carriers. So im lost on this one.
    yeah I agree, I do admit my previous answer kinda helped on the whole unlocked/locked confusion. Basically you have to search for a cdma verizon blackberry curve, new, used , or refurb. Unlocked is for sim cards only. So searching for an unlocked blackerry means nothing, since if it's unlocked but is not CDMA, it will not register on verizon's network.

So the only way to find something on ebay would be "blackberry curve verizon wireless". "unlocked and locked" goes out the window with CDMA
    05-18-09 11:42 PM
    I sold a phone on ebay through paypal and there is a policy to protect the buyer I believe for up to 3 weeks on a cell phone transaction unless he leaves positive feedback to clear the funds. I would get a verizon bb but if you do a search I think it is possible to change the os from like a sprint bb.
    05-19-09 12:00 AM
    Verizon phones don't have SIM cards. If someone is trying to charge you extra because it's unlocked they're scamming you.

You want a phone that has Verizon on it and you want it (the handset) to be in good standing with Verizon (not marked stolen or "lost").
    05-19-09 01:32 AM
    Verizon phones don't have SIM cards. If someone is trying to charge you extra because it's unlocked they're scamming you.

You want a phone that has Verizon on it and you want it (the handset) to be in good standing with Verizon (not marked stolen or "lost").
    Not quite. The Storm has a Verizon SIM card.
    05-19-09 01:33 AM
    Take a look at this. I've found it pretty helpful:
    You know sav, it is generally considered good form that if you quote a source you should also properly give attribution. Kind of a legal issue too, but I suppose that doesn't bother you, eh?
    05-21-09 05:57 AM
    You know sav, it is generally considered good form that if you quote a source you should also properly give attribution. Kind of a legal issue too, but I suppose that doesn't bother you, eh?
    nice find steve-o
    05-21-09 08:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD