I took apart my 8310 today and though I'd do a little experimenting as far as changing the back light colors. I had bought a blue housing for it and got it in today.

I wasn't able to leave it on as the screen they included wasn't attached properly to it (no adhesive). I ordered some of the adhesive, so that will have to wait until it gets here. I've had my BB for a week too if this tells you anything about how I like to tinker with stuff

Anyway, while I had it apart I noticed the led's (6 on the keyboard and the one behind the trackball) and thought I'd try something with the colors. I took small squares of clear plastic tape and colored them with a blue sharpie. I placed them on top of all the leds and pressed them down, then reassembled the phone. And now you have a blue trackball and blue back lighting: SINCE I HAVE UNDER 10 POSTS, I HAD TO JUST POST THE SITE. PLACE http :/ in front of it to see the pictures.

img24.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=phone001q.jpg

Good thing about this is the tape sticks well, doesn't melt, and is held in place very well be the keyboard once you reassemble the phone. Plus you can make it any color you want (red, blue, green). It only took me about 5 min. to do it as well
    04-16-09 08:03 PM
    Pretty cool. Seen a few folks do this for the TB led (tape) but never for the keys but since you were already there doing the changing the housing I guess it was a bit easier for you to do

Nice share.
    Last edited by Tremortality; 04-16-09 at 08:11 PM.
    04-16-09 08:05 PM
    Pretty cool. Seen a few folks do this for the TB led (tape) but never for the keys but since you were already there doing the changing the housing I guess it was a bit easier for you to do

Nice share.
    Thanks man. The tb and clear keys appear more of a cool white in those pictures. I have a ****ty camera They're a very dark blue in person, looks pretty sweet IMO. It really surprised me how easy it is to take these phones apart...
    04-16-09 08:17 PM
    I think I'll try purple. Great tip, thanks!
    04-16-09 08:24 PM
    Cool, thanks for sharing the tip
    04-16-09 08:54 PM
    Hey just be careful since a BB will heat up and can actually melt things that aren't suppose to be in there. I have heard horror stories about people doing the same thing and had to end up getting a whole new phone.
    04-16-09 09:45 PM
    That's pretty sweet man, don't think I'd try it, but I always love seeing a good home project!
    04-16-09 09:47 PM
    Nice work thanks for sharing...
    04-16-09 10:08 PM
    Hey just be careful since a BB will heat up and can actually melt things that aren't suppose to be in there. I have heard horror stories about people doing the same thing and had to end up getting a whole new phone.
    I've heard the same... I think I read about this on the forum actually... and a modification such as this will void any warranty on the device. It is a nice mod tho, and appreciate the shared idea
    04-16-09 10:10 PM
    I've heard the same... I think I read about this on the forum actually... and a modification such as this will void any warranty on the device. It is a nice mod tho, and appreciate the shared idea
    True, but it would literally take 5 min. to put it back to original and nobody would notice so I'm fine with it
    04-17-09 09:16 AM
    Looks good.

Something else to add to the mod list when I change out my housing and trackball.
    04-17-09 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD