Hey, gang. I have a fairly basic e-mail question that I can't seem to figure out.

So I have all of my e-mail accounts set up, and they're all interented based (e.g. Aol, Hotmail, etc). When I select a mail to delete, I get a window that gives me the options to delete from mailbox and handheld, or just handheld. When I select mailbox and handheld, the mail never seems to be deleted from the mailbox, as I always see them when I visit the accounts online. Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 10:18 AM
    That option is there by default. You will only see that setting take effect unless you use Gmail and yahoo, they seem to be the only ones that it works on.......

Also that is used for BES server devices.
    03-06-09 02:09 PM
    Cool. Thanks for your help.

03-06-09 03:04 PM
    How come I can't get to other folders that I have created? I only get the inbox, is that just the way it is?
    03-06-09 03:37 PM
    I use a Cox and Hotmail email account and I have no problems with them deleting from the email server. If its an email I don't want to keep, when I delete it I choose the "delete from mailbox and handheld", later when I check my email from a computer the messages I choose to delete and not save are gone. The only time this hasn't worked for me is if I have the email up on my computer and it downloads to Outlook/Hotmail before I delete it.

@Dirtbag
    are these folders you created on your phone or on your computer?
    03-06-09 04:54 PM
    I have an account with everyone.net email hosting, and the mailbox delete function works with their servers
    03-06-09 07:42 PM
    Just to modify my initial posting, it appears that its only my AOL accounts that don't delete. I just did some tests and Yahoo and Hotmail seem to work as advertised. Is this a known issue with AOL?

Edit: Doesn't seem to work with Gmail also.
    Last edited by igorlevit; 03-06-09 at 08:26 PM.
    03-06-09 08:12 PM
    I can delete handheld AND mailbox on my AOL account. It works great. I don't have the delete mailbox and handheld option with my Yahoo and Verizon email accounts. It only asks me if I want to delete. It says nothing about handheld or mailbox. Does anyone know why? I have os 4.5 Curve 8330 with VZW.

03-06-09 10:34 PM
    Hey man, I can't see why that is.. I have all my accounts set up and whenever I delete the hand held and mail box.. Hmm maybe try playing with the options or deleting and re setting up the accounts

03-06-09 10:37 PM
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll keep monitoring...maybe it's working properly and I'm seeing e-mails that I never actually chose to delete.
    03-08-09 04:26 PM
    I can delete handheld AND mailbox on my AOL account. It works great. I don't have the delete mailbox and handheld option with my Yahoo and Verizon email accounts. It only asks me if I want to delete. It says nothing about handheld or mailbox. Does anyone know why? I have os 4.5 Curve 8330 with VZW.

To get that option go to messages then hit menu key select options/email reconciliation change the "delete on" section to prompt. You have to do this for each email account associated with your blackberry.
    03-08-09 04:30 PM
    Just to modify my initial posting, it appears that its only my AOL accounts that don't delete. I just did some tests and Yahoo and Hotmail seem to work as advertised. Is this a known issue with AOL?

Edit: Doesn't seem to work with Gmail also.
    To get it to work with Gmail go to your settings on the gmail account and open the forwarding/pop part. I enabled POP and IMAP. Then follow these instructions I got from there.
    1. Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
    2. From your BlackBerry home screen, select the BlackBerry Set-up icon, then choose Personal Email Set-up. (On older devices, just look for the Personal Email Set-up icon.)
    3. Select Personal Email Set-up.
    4. Accept Terms and Conditions.
    5. On the 'Email Account Set-up' page, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') but leave the 'Password:' field blank. Select Next.
    6. You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure [[email protected]].' Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    7. Select Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP), then Next.
    8. Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    9. You'll see 'The BlackBerry Internet Service could not configure [[email protected]] email account.' Select Provide The Settings to continue.
    10. In the 'User name:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com'). Google Apps users, please enter your full email address at your domain. Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
    11. In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next. Google Apps users should enter the server name provided; don't add your domain name in this step.
    12. If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
    13. Below your newly added Gmail address, select Edit.
    14. Select Advanced Settings at the bottom.
    15. Make sure the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'
    16. Select Save.

There should now be a new mailbox icon on your BlackBerry home screen labeled with your Gmail address. Once you see this icon, follow these steps to ensure proper configuration:

1. Open the mailbox icon.
    2. Open the menu by pressing the jog wheel or BlackBerry menu button, then select Options.
    3. Select Email Reconciliation.
    4. Confirm the following settings:
    * Delete On: Mailbox & Handheld
    * Wireless Reconcile: On
    * On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins
    5. Select Save.
    6. Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as needed.
    03-08-09 04:33 PM
    @Dirtbag
    are these folders you created on your phone or on your computer?
    I created them on the computer long before I got the BB but don't know how/if am supposed to be able to get them on the phone.
    03-09-09 01:36 PM
    Thanks to all of you for the explanations.
    04-27-09 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD