I just got a Curve a few weeks back (my first BB ) and I love it. Yesterday I was in the bathroom and the phone fell into the toilet. I snatched it out of there and took off the battery and SIM card and the microSD card and begun drying everything off. I hoped on here and did the rice trick overnight and the phone is working again.

Everything I've tested works fine, except for when I'm on a phone call, I can hardly hear the other person. It works fine on speaker however. I'm wondering if theres anyway I can go about fixing it. Right now my options seem like, suck it up and deal with it, talk on speaker phone the whole time. Pay the $125 and get a new one. Or talk through Bluetooth the whole time (I hate Bluetooth!). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    06-18-08 11:05 AM
    Glad to hear you were able to salvage your phone for the most part. I have not been able to find a way to fix the ear piece. that may have gotten short circuited. I'd try the bluetooth way or try to pay the 125 for a new one.
    Welcome to CB!
    06-18-08 11:09 AM
    I just spilled 8 ounces of coffee on my desk only centimeters from my Curve. That would have been a nightmare.
    06-18-08 11:11 AM
    Welcome to CB. Normally when a phone gets whet some parts dry faster than others. Give it a few days and see what happens. The earpiece may start working again.
    06-18-08 11:13 AM
    Welcome to CB. Normally when a phone gets whet some parts dry faster than others. Give it a few days and see what happens. The earpiece may start working again.
    Thats what I'm hoping. I just spent $300 not looking to spend another $125 on it just weeks later. Thanks guys.
    06-18-08 11:25 AM
    So its all working now. Let it sit a little while longer, the speaker is working fine. You guys have no idea how thrilled I am. I had to use a phone from like four years ago for the last day. Going from a BB to that was torture.
    06-18-08 11:52 AM
    Ouch dude. I just got mine, and I know I'd be in tears.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-08 01:33 PM
    Okay - what's the rice trick? Please tell me it's nothing to do with Condoleeza. I don't think I could take it.
    06-18-08 01:44 PM
    Here is what you do.

Take it in to your providers local store.

Tell them that you can't hear very well except on speakerphone.

Let them have it and watch them try to make a test call and put it to their ear.

Then tell them you dropped it in the toilet.

SMILE

I hear that they LOVE it when people do this.
    06-18-08 01:47 PM
    Okay - what's the rice trick? Please tell me it's nothing to do with Condoleeza. I don't think I could take it.
    Put the near-drowned BB in a sack of rice o/n or for a couple nights. Rice absorbs the moisture.....
    06-18-08 01:48 PM
    Proof that miracles can and do happen.
    06-18-08 01:50 PM
    Here is what you do.
    Let them have it and watch them try to make a test call and put it to their ear.
    SMILE

--OMG - laughing so hard I snorted!
    06-18-08 02:00 PM
    I'm glad that after an extra day of drying time that all is well. I was feeling your pain!
    06-18-08 02:15 PM
    a few weeks??? do you have ins???
    06-18-08 02:18 PM
    Interesting trick, never heard of that. Wish I'd known about it when a neighbor kid plucked my Treo out of my shoe at the pool and dropped it in the deep end.
    06-18-08 02:21 PM
    I just got a Curve a few weeks back (my first BB ) and I love it. Yesterday I was in the bathroom and the phone fell into the toilet.
    ... and why you NEVER use your phone around places like that. I don't take my BB in the kitchen, bathroom etc. In the good 'ol days when you had landline phones, you didn't have problems like dropping phones in sinks or toilets!
    06-18-08 02:21 PM
    Here is what you do.

SMILE
    That is so wrong and so hilarious all at once.

Glad the OP got his CrapBerry ... I mean CrackBerry up and running.
    06-18-08 02:24 PM
    I just hope that when you grabbed the Curve out of the toilet; that there weren't kibbles and bits in the water as well.

1) That'd be nasty
    2) I'm sure your Curve would be smelling like roses thereafter; well because you know; all BB owners' sh*t smell like roses.
    3) It'd be extra tough to remove the bits and pieces out of the crevices of the Curve; along with drying it.
    4) Sorry for the mental picture(s) I've just painted for some of you.

Cheers.
    06-18-08 02:42 PM
    Hey... Crappy reception!

sorry, I couldn't resist.
    06-18-08 03:29 PM
    Is it just a "BrownBerry" now?

Oohhh. Too much. Make us stop....
    06-18-08 05:21 PM
    Ewww! You got PP on your BB!
    06-18-08 05:33 PM
    Here is what you do.

SMILE

FUNNY... but, for the life of me, I can't understand why you would even attempted to use that phone, you know... handle it, talk into it, put it near your ear after it has been it the toilet where people sh*t, pee, throw up and who knows what else?

Heck, I'd never admit to ANYONE that I'd dropped a phone in the toilet...
    Last edited by jack55; 06-18-08 at 06:23 PM.
    06-18-08 06:20 PM
    The OP didnt say what was in the toilet other than the Berry. So, I am going to assume that he was standing holding the BB with one hand while he whipped out his other Berry....
    06-18-08 07:48 PM
    The OP didnt say what was in the toilet other than the Berry. So, I am going to assume that he was standing holding the BB with one hand while he whipped out his other Berry....
    My thought exactly. Maybe just a little blue water.
    But I couldn't resist the joke
    06-18-08 07:59 PM
    You are lucky. I have had mine for a little over a week, and I would go crazy. $365 on this baby, and I am in love. I wouldn't be able to afford a new one, and T-mobile doesn't offer insurance for it yet.
    06-18-08 10:09 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD